Sponsored by:

KMP Paddle Shift Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:26 PM
MNZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP Paddle Shift Cooling

We have a 997 Cup with the KMP kit. Wondering what people have done in the way of cooling?

We were told by a fellow competitor at the weekend that they can overheat. Should we run a fan on the compressor and also GCU?

Any pictures of your installations would be great.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Following up on this thread it doesn't look like anyone responded.
What did you do in the end?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 PM
MNZ
Track Day

We ran ran a small bilge fan pointing at the compressor. However we sold the car so never tested it fully. We ran almost 2 hours before a failure caused us to withdraw from race and there were no issues.

Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
Following up on this thread it doesn't look like anyone responded.
What did you do in the end?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

To be clear, the bilge fan (do you recall the CFM?) prevented any overheating in +2hrs?
Was it an earlier gen KMP?

I ask because I'm considering a new KMP shifter kit.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:50 AM
MNZ
Track Day

To be clear, the bilge fan (do you recall the CFM?) prevented any overheating in +2hrs?
Was it an earlier gen KMP?

I ask because I'm considering a new KMP shifter kit.
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Sports_Outdoors/Attwood-Turbo-3000-Series-Water-Resitant-In-Line-Blower-12V-White/0022697173348?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=NZ&gclid=EA IaIQobChMIvqSZ17L71AIVjoaPCh1VVAzlEAQYBCABEgLeq_D_BwE

Like this ducted from NACA duct on side screen, we ran up to 2 hours but never above. And it was an early system.

I think it is all dependant on track(shift amount) and ambient heat.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 AM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I have two bilge fans with ducting to the window to pick up fresh air. One on the compressor and one on the gold CPU control box.

Never had a problem up to 90 minute long races in hot conditions.

Stu
Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
I have two bilge fans with ducting to the window to pick up fresh air. One on the compressor and one on the gold CPU control box.

Never had a problem up to 90 minute long races in hot conditions.

Stu
Thanks. And that's on the KMP- how do you like it?
I run mainly in the Southeast so it's pretty hot most of the time- and really hot the rest.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 07-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

I've had mine three years in a 997.2. Very happy with it. I still have my shift lever in the car as a back up with the pneumatic actuator at the base of the lever. I have the upgraded compressor now and the upgraded ecu and controller.

It's a pretty heavy duty unit. There are a few tricks to using it. If you get one I'm happy to give you a few pointers.

Stu
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Cheers Stu. I'll let you know. Will likely make a decision this week.

I thought the latest gen eliminated the shifter but sounds like it can, but not necessarily.
If the system fails how easy is it to go back to the shifter? Having the redundancy is an obvious advantage. What advantage is there to getting rid of the stick aside from less clutter?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:33 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I retained the shift lever as back up. When I first got the car it had the old KMP system and the compressor failed on track. I haven't had any issues with the new version and do not run any accessory cooling devices. Should I? I will be rallying with the system, so heavy use upcoming.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:16 AM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

The newer system that eliminates the lever is said to be better because the shift actuator is directly attached to the trans case eliminating any vagueness or slop in the shifts. It also eliminates the lever.

I like having my lever. You can go to the lever any time. There's a lever paddle toggle on the dash to turn off the system but you don't have to switch that.

The times when I go to the lever is when entering a turn in a gear and you get slowed down by a slower car exiting the turn and need a lower gear, the system does not like down shifting in that situation. I can simply press the clutch and bang into the lower gear very quickly and not lose any time or hurt the trans.

I'm not good driving just the lever as I never really got to practice much when I bought the car the kmp went on right away.

I really do like it but other units seem to be more popular or more liked. I'm very happy with mine.

In regard to cooling, I would install some type of cooling. I'm sure it helps quite a bit. I don't have any data to back that up though.

Stu
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
The newer system that eliminates the lever is said to be better because the shift actuator is directly attached to the trans case eliminating any vagueness or slop in the shifts. It also eliminates the lever.

I like having my lever. You can go to the lever any time. There's a lever paddle toggle on the dash to turn off the system but you don't have to switch that.

The times when I go to the lever is when entering a turn in a gear and you get slowed down by a slower car exiting the turn and need a lower gear, the system does not like down shifting in that situation. I can simply press the clutch and bang into the lower gear very quickly and not lose any time or hurt the trans.

I'm not good driving just the lever as I never really got to practice much when I bought the car the kmp went on right away.

I really do like it but other units seem to be more popular or more liked. I'm very happy with mine.

In regard to cooling, I would install some type of cooling. I'm sure it helps quite a bit. I don't have any data to back that up though.

Stu
So is that low (relatively) rpm downshift where clutch and stick is a better alternative to the paddles?

If so, and for back-up, keeping the lever seems to be a good idea. Not like it's a huge weight reduction or valuable real estate. Or is there a downside I'm missing.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

The down side is the pneumatic shifter on the trans is supposed to be better. If you have that then you can't have the lever too.

I'm just used to mine. Check what they offer and see.

I'm happy to offer you help if you'd like any. I'm currently using Autometrics and they really have done a fine job making it work well and teaching me more about some of the ways it works.

Stu
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Good to know. Autometrics/Gordon just rebuilt my engine.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:28 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So is that low (relatively) rpm downshift where clutch and stick is a better alternative to the paddles?
Loose translation: the KMP (and I assume other brands) likes to downshift under normal/heavy braking. It will shift in Stu's example situation, but not very cleanly.

Quick Reply: KMP Paddle Shift Cooling