Sponsored by:

Exporting a Cup Car to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exporting a Cup Car to Canada

Hey guys/gals, looking for some advice from experience.

We've sold a 2006 Cup, the buyer is in Canada, using a leasing company to facilitate transfer and handle the financial end.

The tub has a 17 digit VIN# and this concerns all involved as they are assuming the vehicle should then come with a title. The car came with a Bill of Sale and any cup car I've dealt with over the years - the same.

The Bill of Sale method seems to be OK with the Canadian officials, but they would like a letter from Porsche that states the vehicle is for "Racing Use Only" or a decal affixed to the vehicle (from Porsche), stating the vehicle is for 'Off Road/Racing Use Only"...which I don't believe the car has one.

This particular cup car was campaigned in the Supercup Series (europe) in 2006 and then imported to the U.S., early 2007 to DAS and then transferred via BoS to my client. We do not have a letter from PCNA, because it was a private sale/import from Europe...and again, I don't believe there is a stamp/decal, etc. stating it is for "Off Road/Racing Use Only".

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
I am looking for SOLID answers from experience/knowledge, please no "what-ifs" or "why can't they's".
Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Has anyone had experience with contacting Porsche Motorsports, to request a letter stating this is a "Race Only" Vehicle? That's been the best suggestion I've had thus far.

Still looking for anyone who has endured this process or has resources who could possibly help us.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

when the car was imported to USA it should have a document stating it was for off road use only to get it into the usa....

Selling race cars across borders can be a racket at times.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

One of the issues here is the importer/broker is out of business. All I have is a BOS. No letter.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

You've got mail.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I've imported a cup into Canada before. In order to avoid the whole "RIV" (Registrar of Imported Vehicles www.riv.ca) issue you do need a letter saying that the car is for racing purposes only. The letter can come from any Canadian race sanctioning organization, in my case I used WCMA (Western Canadian Motorsport Association), I believe in eastern Canada it's the CACC (http://www.caccautosport.org/). That's it should be simple, I know the WCMA people well it would be easy to get a letter from them. PM me if you have any trouble and I'll hunt down some specific contacts.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Does anyone have any insight on doing this same process with Europe? Is all that is needed to bring a Cup into the U.S. (Currently located outside the county) the letter stating it a "racing use only" vehicle with no title?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

PMNA will issue a letter confirming that a cup car is a factory built race car, expressly designed for track use only. They have been clear that they will not do so for any Porsche race car that was converted from street use. That letter will make canada customs happy
Old 08-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Thanks everyone, yes, all it took was a call to PMNA and they will be issuing a letter to me via email. I appreciate the suggestions and solutions, turns out a little more searching on my end would've revealed how easy it is to obtain such a letter.

Thanks to Colin Dougherty for providing the info. to contact PMNA directly, as I was barking up the wrong tree.

This is the first time I've ever exported a car, so I was definitely "clueless" with regards to this.

Thanks again everyone, I'll check back to advise if all went well.

Quick Reply: Exporting a Cup Car to Canada