Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

First race with the CUP

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Default First race with the CUP

So I got the '05 CUP last weekend and had my first race with it.
It was a nice race as we were celebrating the 10th season of Porsche racing in Finland. In the sports cup series there were 31 cars that started. 1xGT3-R, 4x997 CUP, 1x996 CUP (mine) + many club racers (911s, 944s etc.)

Friday was test and tune but due to the anniversary weekend, there was a lot of things going on and track time was very Limited. I only got to drive a couple of laps just to get the feel of the car.
I did not like how the car handled...it was very nervous and all over the Place. Lots of bump steer etc.
To start the rear swaybar was set to full stiff so we softened that up and the car started behaving better. We did not touch the shock settings as the car was supposed to be well setup.

On saturday I managed to bring the car safely to park ferme from both starts but man it was a struggle. Especially in the second race as it started raining towards the end of it.

So on Sunday we went to my home track (Alastaro) for more testing. I managed to get Antti Buri (really fast pro driver) with me and quite quickly we found out that the front shocks were shot and many other issues with the suspension. The car was sitting too low, the front springs were too short (hit bumpstops), the rebound dampening was not there at all, the compression dampening was set to full stiff etc.
We set the front shocks a little softer and immediately we shaved off 3 seconds...
Due to the many issues, we decided not to try to setup the car but instead focused on adjusting the driver (me) for the CUP car.
I must admit there were many things that needed to be corrected in my driving. I'm so thankfull I got Antti to guide me.

Now I'm taking the car to LMS for complete suspension overhaul and checkup. We will put everything to factory spec and then we go for another test/coaching session at my home track.

Then it's time to give the 997 guys hell!!

Here's a couple of laps from the middle of the first race. You can see me struggle the car...it just bounces everywhere. No way I could keep up with the 997s in the front...

https://vimeo.com/130136030

Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put my '04 996 Cup back to stock suspension, with everything new or rebuilt. I had the setup and install done by Wright Motorsports (Cup Car Shop) , the car was dialed in from the first lap at Watkins Glen and a pleasure to drive.

I was told the Stock Sachs Shocks need rebuilding every 2 seasons or sooner for club racing, also I think having a shop with deep experience setting up these cars makes a big difference.

JF
Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your mistake was buying a ten year old Cup and thinking everything would act like it was brand new

I have an 05 and had springs replaced and shocked dynoed and rebuild before anything got serious

its a great car when set up right and ya know how to drive it!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:31 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow Juha nice track - it feels like Nurburgring! Enjoy the process of dialing it in too - at least half the fun is learning with the machine.

Quick Reply: First race with the CUP