Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014 | 10:34 PM
ORBIT
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default 2005 996 CUP CAR

2005 996 Cup Car

This is not one of the Brazilian Cars. This is a two owner, well documented factory 996 Cup Car with a Porsche sealed engine. The engine has 100+ hours so it is time ( very soon) to open the engine and refresh. This car stands out from the other 996 Cups for sale because of the beautiful original condition of the car. Seems to be original paint, no accidents - ever. The bodywork is all original Porsche factory parts that still carry the silver tags with the part numbers. I attached a few pictures and soon will post many more on the Orbitracing.com website.

Many receipts and documentation which will be posted. If you are interested in the car we can discuss the cost to refresh the engine if you do not have a good solution for this job.

This car comes with two sets of original BBS 996 Cup wheels, and one additional set of non-original wheels.

Price is $80,000.00

Please respond by email for details

Rodger@orbitracing.com
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2014 | 10:39 PM
joeykid
Instructor

I know this car well and it is the nicest 996 cup I have ever seen. Fantastic car.
Old 07-20-2014 | 07:38 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

nice cup.

What is wrong with a Brazilian cups?
Old 07-20-2014 | 12:34 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MSTACH
nice cup.

What is wrong with a Brazilian cups?
Nothing wrong with them per se but most of them have unsealed engines and frequently have non original bodywork. I suspect Rodger's point is that the originality and excellent condition of this car justifies the price between this car and the much less expensive cars from Barazil.
Old 07-20-2014 | 01:33 PM
ORBIT
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default 2005 996 Cup

I have had multiple inquires about the engine hours. Not an easy question to answer. After overhauling a number of these engine thru the years I have found that preventive maintenance is much cheaper than driving them until something really bad happens. Very important to know is how the engine is being used. If the car is driven very hard, shifted at Redline and subjected to a number of bad heal and toe down-shifts you really have to be concerned about a number of things, primarily the connecting rod bolts. If you are driving DE's, seldom are on the track for more than 30 minutes and shifting around 7500 RPM and are very good with your down-shifts you are really conserving engine hours. The truth is that there is no way to know with 100% accuracy how long an engine will last. Leakdowns, compression checks , oil consumption,examining the oil filter, and oil analysis are all good ways to get a feel for when the engine could use a refresh but nothing is certain. What I would suggest is that if somebody is very interested to buy this car you should plan on driving the car for another 20 hours being a little easy with it. The cost for a refresh should be between $18k-$20k, if you are not willing to spend this much then you might not get the reliability you are expecting. One important note- the $20k figure includes replacing the Titanium Pankl connecting rods with Steel rods - Carrillo or Pauter, or some other quality rod. Pankl will not release an hour number ( or cycles) they designed the rod to be used so you will hear a number of different stories. I have refreshed engines, resized the TI rods, replaced the connecting rod bolts and have them running around with close to 200 hours on them, but I certainly would not try to go 300 hours on a rod. This is a great car but in all fairness the new owner must budget for an engine rebuild.

Last edited by ORBIT; 07-20-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-2014 | 02:59 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Orbit
I have had multiple inquires about the engine hours. Not an easy question to answer. After overhauling a number of these engine thru the years I have found that preventive maintenance is much cheaper than driving them until something really bad happens. Very important to know is how the engine is being used. If the car is driven very hard, shifted at Redline and subjected to a number of bad heal and toe down-shifts you really have to be concerned about a number of things, primarily the connecting rod bolts. If you are driving DE's, seldom are on the track for more than 30 minutes and shifting around 7500 RPM and are very good with your down-shifts you are really conserving engine hours. The truth is that there is no way to know with 100% accuracy how long an engine will last. Leakdowns, compression checks , oil consumption,examining the oil filter, and oil analysis are all good ways to get a feel for when the engine could use a refresh but nothing is certain. What I would suggest is that if somebody is very interested to buy this car you should plan on driving the car for another 20 hours being a little easy with it. The cost for a refresh should be between $18k-$20k, if you are not willing to spend this much then you might not get the reliability you are expecting. One important note- the $20k figure includes replacing the Titanium Pankl connecting rods with Steel rods - Carrillo or Pauter, or some other quality rod. Pankl will not release an hour number ( or cycles) they designed the rod to be used so you will hear a number of different stories. I have refreshed engines, resized the TI rods, replaced the connecting rod bolts and have them running around with close to 200 hours on them, but I certainly would not try to go 300 hours on a rod. This is a great car but in all fairness the new owner must budget for an engine rebuild.
That's interesting Rodger....you see some cups going with a Pauter steel rod in lieu of the original Ti rods....I have steel rods in my car, Ti rods were a huge add to the engine rebuild

Quick Reply: 2005 996 CUP CAR