Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Motec Data Newbie Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Motec Data Newbie Needs Help

I recently purchased a 2007 Cup with the OE Motec system. I've downloaded the necessary software and have gotten data here at my home track. However, I'm a complete neophyte and I am not aware of any Motec gurus in the area to call on for help.

Can you please share the general work flow for how I should be using the system? I've got the GPS module, and it does create an accurate track map, although it seems I have to either "create track map" and/or "create segment" in order for my lap times to be accurate. Which is weird, since the lap time that shows on the dash after I pass start/finish is accurate, but the tab that shows the sector times and a total is not, until I fix the track map and/or segments.

I'm also confused as to what to do with each sessions data. Should I save each session as a separate file? Also, what happens if I run a different configuration of the same track the next day and/or session? Should that be considered a unique dash configuration file? Also, what's with the various description fields (event, etc.) when I pull data off the dash? How should I make best use of them?

What happens when I go to a new track? The technique that I was shown was clumsy at best, as I had to run a few laps in order to get data, then manually type in the GPS coordinates for the start/finish, load that to the dash, then run more laps to create the track map, then finally after all that, only now I can get lap times. Can't I just copy the configuration file and edit in the new GPS coordinates, then load that into the dash?

I really appreciate any help and tips you can share. Also, if you know of a Motec guru in the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd love to work with them.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a PM
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to call me sometime between 5 and 8 pm Eastern time, I'll be happy to spend some time with you on Motec Data. Too difficult to do via e-mail at this point. 941 429 9102

Quick Reply: Motec Data Newbie Needs Help