Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

racing earplugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:37 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I have custom molded ear plugs and they have saved what is left of my hearing. The "semi custom" plugs do not work as well. The fit isn't as tight or complete. I have a pair non-customs only for emergencies.

The molded plugs are totally comfortable and with a proper fit work much better than any regular ear plug. I wear mine for whether I need the comms or not. Mine were made by R.E race Electronics. I am sure there are a couple of companies that do them well. The mold is critical. Once you have a good mold, they will hold onto the cast and you can just order another pair if you ever need.

I tried the Stilo helmet noise attenuating muffs. Didn't work well enough for me. My car is loud.

A few tips:
  • Its critical that you get the mold made correctly. Don't do it yourself with a mail order kit. An audiologist must do this or a few shops that do this routinely. I went to Stable Energies. They know what they are doing. Bob took a mold three times on one ear before we were satisfied that we had a good fit. He is super careful. So the mail order, mold it yourself option isn't really the way to go. You need the mold done right or its a waste of money and your hearing.
  • Its important to wet them before putting them in at the track. Stick them in your mouth, get them nice and wet and then really screw them in for a good wet seal.. Wet seal makes a huge difference.
  • As Mike said, you can't pull them out by the cord. If you wet them as I suggest, the fit will be so strong that you won't even be tempted to pull on the cord. You have to pry them out. (very easy, don't worry)

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Yes, I got pair of the fuze molded ear plugs. They are very nice... Only issue I have is the cord is kind of long. You'll also need get an adapter plug to make stereo. My helmets plug is stereo. ..bottom line was for $35, I figured how could I go wrong.

Last edited by dan212; 06-18-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:08 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Really the Stilo helmet is the way to go for this. Takes all the fuss out of it and the audio is great.

Thanks

Ed
Is that the noise attenuating ear up option for Stilo that you're referring to?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:23 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Really the Stilo helmet is the way to go for this. Takes all the fuss out of it and the audio is great.

Thanks

Ed
i agree! Just bought a Stilo helmet with the radio setup. It is not only extremely comfortable but also very silent and the radio works awesome!
The radio setup was based on GSM (cell phone), so you have a "phone" in the car and a phone in the pits. Just get two pre-paid sim cards, open the line and you're connected. No license fees to pay, no tangent to push (just speak) no delay, perfect audio quality etc. Wonderful system!

I did a 1.5hr stint on the Nordschleife in the RCN race last weekend and couldn't be happier about the helmet and communication system. My german friends in the pits had some fun too listening to me cussing in Finnish behind the wheel...

Old 06-19-2015, 01:40 PM
goodmdo1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I have custom molded ear plugs and they have saved what is left of my hearing. The "semi custom" plugs do not work as well. The fit isn't as tight or complete. I have a pair non-customs only for emergencies.

The molded plugs are totally comfortable and with a proper fit work much better than any regular ear plug. I wear mine for whether I need the comms or not. Mine were made by R.E race Electronics. I am sure there are a couple of companies that do them well. The mold is critical. Once you have a good mold, they will hold onto the cast and you can just order another pair if you ever need.

I tried the Stilo helmet noise attenuating muffs. Didn't work well enough for me. My car is loud.

A few tips:
  • Its critical that you get the mold made correctly. Don't do it yourself with a mail order kit. An audiologist must do this or a few shops that do this routinely. I went to Stable Energies. They know what they are doing. Bob took a mold three times on one ear before we were satisfied that we had a good fit. He is super careful. So the mail order, mold it yourself option isn't really the way to go. You need the mold done right or its a waste of money and your hearing.
  • Its important to wet them before putting them in at the track. Stick them in your mouth, get them nice and wet and then really screw them in for a good wet seal.. Wet seal makes a huge difference.
  • As Mike said, you can't pull them out by the cord. If you wet them as I suggest, the fit will be so strong that you won't even be tempted to pull on the cord. You have to pry them out. (very easy, don't worry)
Thanks for all the help. I was checking out Racing Electronics and pleased / surprised to see they are in Concord, NC which is 70 miles from me and they have an internal ear mold lab where they will make your impressions. Speaking with them they said they also have different frequency speakers they can use for different uses. Seems a good way to go. I cannot get my glasses into a Stilo; I believe custom plugs will remove a greater number of decibels as well.

Dan how old are yours ? Interesting to learn they recommend 3-yr replacement cycles. Need to justify this as hearing preservation.

I called them to ask what the cost would be for a set without speakers - 70 dollars. Figure when not instructing or racing this would be good both to avoid pulling a wire out and as importantly, for yard and power tool work since I have some hearing loss already. Sharing this price as info for others.

thanks again,
don

ps - dan - really cool race car !
Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm 62.. Curious to know why you ask?? But I can tell you that a misspent youth going to rock concerts and coming out at 6:00am with my ears ringing (also Woodstock) did far less harm than the years on the track.

I have some slight hearing loss and mild tinnitus from before I started using the molded plugs. Damage is cumulative and permanent. That should justify the cost. Seriously...

News to me about the 3 year replacement cycle. Have to call R.E.. I use the same set that I got in 2011.

Originally Posted by goodmdo1

Dan how old are yours ? Interesting to learn they recommend 3-yr replacement cycles. Need to justify this as hearing preservation.
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 AM
goodmdo1
AutoX

ha ha Dan I was asking how old your plugs are, not you... you missed the "rs" of yours... sorry for the perceived rude age question.

Appreciate the help for sure. I too have tinnitus, began 18 months ago and the audiologist detected some high frequency loss in the left ear which unfortunately coincides with the pitch of my wife's voice making me keep asking her to repeat stuff. So definitely going the path of better hearing protection now. To boot it will be nice to be able to hear my student at the end of the straight aways. I do ok with the chatterbox in helmet speakers but lost them at high speed. And can't hear diddly in my friends chump car anywhere.

Great to hear they are past 3 years and doing well.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212

A few tips:
+1

Thanks for all the help. I was checking out Racing Electronics and pleased / surprised to see they are in Concord, NC which is 70 miles from me and they have an internal ear mold lab where they will make your impressions. Speaking with them they said they also have different frequency speakers they can use for different uses. Seems a good way to go. I cannot get my glasses into a Stilo; I believe custom plugs will remove a greater number of decibels as well.

I called them to ask what the cost would be for a set without speakers - 70 dollars. Figure when not instructing or racing this would be good both to avoid pulling a wire out and as importantly, for yard and power tool work since I have some hearing loss already. Sharing this price as info for others.

thanks again,
don

+1 Racing Electronics. Bonus is they're at many of the east coast PCA races so service is easy. Had mine molded at VIR last year and delivered a few days later.

Last edited by Nizer; 06-20-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 AM
goodmdo1
AutoX

Nizer - how timely! I am headed to VIR today to watch my friends in the pca zone 2 event and will look for RE - may just get lucky and they be there.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:35 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

fyi, the fuze ones are completely custom molded to your ear. Ref pic below, basically an over-molded ear plug when you're done. Yes, my car is loud too (read short straight pipes).
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2015, 12:17 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
i agree! Just bought a Stilo helmet with the radio setup. It is not only extremely comfortable but also very silent and the radio works awesome!
The radio setup was based on GSM (cell phone), so you have a "phone" in the car and a phone in the pits. Just get two pre-paid sim cards, open the line and you're connected. No license fees to pay, no tangent to push (just speak) no delay, perfect audio quality etc. Wonderful system!

I did a 1.5hr stint on the Nordschleife in the RCN race last weekend and couldn't be happier about the helmet and communication system. My german friends in the pits had some fun too listening to me cussing in Finnish behind the wheel...

I have the Stilo ST4GT W with rally intercom setup and like it a lot. Can you post the link for the GSM-based system? I haven't seen that in the US. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:36 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I have the Stilo ST4GT W with rally intercom setup and like it a lot. Can you post the link for the GSM-based system? I haven't seen that in the US. Thanks.
http://www.oreca-store.eu/stilo-verb...on-system.html

It's not cheap but it comes with everything you need (except for the sim cards).
On the Nürburgring you pay almost that much for radio license / year so this will be much cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:38 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
http://www.oreca-store.eu/stilo-verb...on-system.html

It's not cheap but it comes with everything you need (except for the sim cards).
On the Nürburgring you pay almost that much for radio license / year so this will be much cheaper in the long run.
Thanks! This will be perfect for Targas!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:08 PM
uhear
Rennlist Member

I have worked in the Hearing Conservation business for 23 years and without getting overly technical these are my professional thoughts:

Stilo is AWESOME - I choose Stilo for myself for a reason.
* The attenuation of the hazardous ambient noise is fantastic which means the in-helmet comms can be turned way down to a much lower level. This is critically important as sound/noise in the simple form is energy. Like all other energies noise has a decay rate which isn't much when it is placed right over the ear canal.
** See Manufacturer for cost. Should last as long as the helmet

Custom Molded Personal Hearing Protection (PHP)
* Much like the Stilo, the right PHP can make a huge difference in your hazardous noise exposure. I suggest a true custom molded protector which will utilize a foam stopper and a fluid that is syringed into your canal. These have to be sent to a lab to be made and then mailed back to you. A good lab will make a 3D digital image from the mold which makes re-ordering very easy. Make sure it is "comms friendly"
** Cost $150-$200. Should last 3-5 years.

Molded PHP
* They begin as a 2 part putty and are pressed into your canal. They are not comms friendly and do not hold up well over time. They also do not have a dependable NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) which is something else I would look for. The higher the NRR the better sound/noise attenuation. Professionally speaking these are junk and are typically sold as an impulse buy at trade shows.
** Cost $50. Usually last weeks or months before disintegration begins to occur

Last edited by uhear; 07-04-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: racing earplugs