Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

2011 997 Cup Car Maintenance (3.8L)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with engines going to ~90 hours and still running strong, but once over 60 start to monitor crank case pressure and do frequent leak downs. No over-revs and lowering the RPM limit a bit helps a lot.
Do the gearbox every 25 to 30 hours or sooner if it starts to make noise. Expect to replace 3rd gear and some dogs & bearings at that time, and third gear again plus the R&P (and more stuff) at 50 to 60. Do frequent oil changes and look for metal on the plug...
Axles last for a long time if they don't leak and you stay off the curbs. Spring rates on the 7.2 are stiff at ~1450 lbs on all 4 corners so the car bounces a lot over curbs and can hurt the axles. I replaced my last ones at ~50 hours and all that was wrong was a slight leak out of one boot....
Watch your lower control arms, I'd replace at 30 hours and maybe do wheel bearings and/or uprights at the same time. It gets a little too exciting when a ball joint breaks...
Rebuild the dampers every season (~30 hours) or sooner if on rough tracks.
Look at the clutch/flywheel when the gearbox is out and replace as necessary, wear depends a lot on how its used.
Buy shares in whatever tire manufacturer you use, damn they're expensive!

Quick Reply: 2011 997 Cup Car Maintenance (3.8L)