Notices

ABS Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Retrofit

Seeing that someone had an older Cup with an added Bosch ABS system installed and possibly for sale as a takeoff I did a little research on finding such a kit for sale new. I have had no luck with searching.

I'm not sure it is something I want to add to my 08 Cup but I would like to learn more about the option.

I thought earlier Cups had abs then it went away, perhaps because of a rule change. Is it back again with the 991s? Maybe I'm mistaken. Anybody know about this?

What do you guys who have ABS think of the system vs no ABS?

My track experience has been almost entirely with standard brakes, but I did take my Audi S4 with ABS to the track a few times. Seemed to stop quite well and you basically just stomped on the brakes at the end of the straight and didn't have to think about threshold braking. Both are fine but ABS might be faster.

Who sells kits?

Cheers.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

991 doesen't have ABS either...

We have the 996 Cup-ABS in our '08 997 Cup and the Bosch M4 in the '11 997 Cup.

The M4 is top notch but also expensive! It's fully adjustable (you can also switch it completely off if required/ wanted) and that makes it great if you drive in mixed conditions.

The 996 Cup-System also works great but is non-adjustable. It's good but just not as good as the M4... I'd go Bosch M4 all the time again.

The big advantage of the ABS is that you can just step into the brakes without worrying about flat-spots. That makes it much easier! It's also great if you drive on bumpy tracks...

If you're a beginner in Cups it's a great way to adapt to the non-assistant brakes without flat-spotting tires or sliding without control due to locked-up wheels. If you get used to it you can switch it off ans try to improve your technique without it.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Teves is another option that has been retro fitted in several 997 Cups. I'm replacing the factory ABS in my 993 RSR with Teves. It will be adjustable for ABS intrusion (via a dial on the steering wheel) and front/rear bias (AP pedals/master cylinders/bias ****).
Old 11-07-2013, 04:28 PM
autometrics
Former Vendor

The Bosch M4 is an awesome system. We have one installed in our Continental Challenge Boxster. The different settings are very nice to have. Can adjust it for tire wear, weather conditions and also to help in handling balance on corner entry. It definitely would be nice to have in a 997 cup. It would make reaching the braking limits much easer and save flat spotting tires. You could be more aggressive trail braking into corners. It would not be legal in any of the spec cup car classes though. I think the Bosch is 12k give or take. If you are interesting in buying one send us an email. We are a bosch motorsport dealer. autometrics@me.com
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

The 996 Cup and Bosch systems are both really good. If you just want to go out and have fun and not worry about flat spotting tires, etc.. either one would be a good idea to have.

However, if you actually want to improve your driving and technique I'd not install either. Even if you turn it off, the pedal feel is different. If you really want to be good on the brakes, learn and practice without ABS. Then, once you find yourself in a car with a motorsport ABS you'll really be able to take advantage of it.

My 2c.

-mike
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

mike is 1000% correct. master braking without it, then if you want to up the ante, get a good abs. teves and bosch are great systems. i've used both, we've installed both in various car.
teves makeaa great one. you'll go wow.
bosch ms4 is just better in my opinion. its about the perfect abs system. install is pretty easy probably takes a good mechanic a full day between running the harness and nicely putting th edials and switches in the dash panel, and the abs pump fitment and brake lines,etc.
for a bit more money on the kit you can get relays instead of fuses, and autosport wwheelspeed connectors instead of splicing. adds some dollars, but then you have the full monty.
new, figure like 13, 14ish installed, maybe 15 just depends on options.
used, ive sold the abs kit alone, no install, for like $8k, 9k and they get bought, funded and gone in about 1 hour of posting.
you have to be careful with the edition of both. they are both very advanced and changes are being implemented very quickly. you can update the bosch firmeware every once and a while by sending the ECU to bosch. teves, im not sure. the most recent teves units have very advanced pumps.

you cant go wrong with either. figure $4 k difference between the two.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 PM
modifier
Instructor

Thanks for the info.

I had non abs braking down pretty well in the past so I imagine I'll get back on it once I get some hours under my belt in the Cup.

It's similar to the idea some have that you aren't really riding a mountain bike unless it on a no suspension rigid single speed or that motorcycles should all be Harley hard tails. Personally, been there done that and all about technological advantages at this point. I could have bought a 70s 911 track car if I was all about the "pure" "driver" experience.

I've searched on line and can't find a website for Teves or for Bosch ABS systems. Anybody have links.

Thanks Autometrics. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

BOSCH M4: http://www.k-m-p.nl/paddleshift/bosc...s-porsche-kit/

Gavin at Autoquest in Sarasota has installed a few of these on 7 cups, as well as the KMP paddle shift kit.

239-432-9354

Quick Reply: ABS Retrofit