Sponsored by:

Cup car Noob

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMan
I recommend the Motec VCS system for video, it is really easy to use. I would also recommend going further than just a nut and bolt inspection - I failed to crack the gearbox on my car when I bought it, and almost immediately it failed. If I had spent the time and money to pre-emptively service it, I would have salvaged the box, instead it was pretty much a total loss. I learned from that one.
I meant to point out that kiwi dave and his group maintained this car for a few years. He has been thru the tranny.

We have a good history on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
Add hiring an experienced Cup driver for the first day out to show you the fundamentals so you don't waste time and money the first few times you have the car out.

Have an experienced (w/ Cups) mechanic nut & bolt the car before you take it out to make sure everything is good. Then, assuming you have an experienced Cup driver with you the first outing, make him do an install lap or 2 to again make sure that everything is in order. Then have at it..

-mike
My driving coach is going to be the first to drive it. John has got hundreds of hours in these cars and he is going to shake it out before I drive. Probably should have track support there too, but i just want to drive it and I know I wont be pushing it very hard. I know it will be a different animal that what I have driven in the past.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
When you start the car don't be alarmed that it sounds like a box of rocks in the trans, that's normal. You have to be quick on the clutch it will buck and stall in the paddock, the engine does not like to putt around. If you had slicks on the cayman you'll know what to expect with cold tires, but combined with the extra stiffness a cup on cold slicks is wicked.

Really agree with having someone with cup experience with you for the first few times out, a coach even better. Have fun!

Is your son stepping up to the cayman?
Ok I know where you are going with that question and no you cant have your 944 back yet. Actually jake would rather drive the 944 than the cayman. He just loves that 944 and drives the heck out of it. Finally jumping from the RA1 to the RR on it for road america in two weeks. Should be a bit faster for him. As for me I am not sure how this will play out but I suspect when the cup car comes home m wife will have something to say about it. My guess is she will accelerate my decision.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Regarding Video/data sync, contact Gary or Frank at GK systems if your ADL2 has enough outputs they can sync with a david system.

If your already working with James at GMG he can show you some files that they have. I really feel it has been one of the best tools you and your mechanic can use.

Congrats on your purchase, are you going to run it with POC??
not sure where to land, poc or pca. I have only run 1 west coast ran with either group and that was cal festival of speed. POC was there and they seemed like good guys. Funny story as I will probably race the cayman and DE the cup car. Go figure but I want to learn this car inside and out before I go wheel to wheel with anyone.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:31 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

nice buy! how long til it arrives?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll love it. I got Rob's 996 and it was a pleasure to drive right from the start. Sequential will be the more difficult part but fun as you get it.

Good luck and have fun

Stu
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I just sent in my Rookie Racing application and medical to PCA.
If all is OK I will book my ticket to Milwaukee and pack my helmet and overall.
Do you need fire retarding socks, balaclava? Guess I order them online.

I also need a car.
Great to borrow Clarke's car but if I understand it correctly I have to be there Thursday and run all races through Sunday successfully to get my PCA race license.

Making calls now for backup racecars (Anything, any speed) so I don't have to rely on Clarke's backup car only because I may not be able to complete the race weekend.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
nice buy! how long til it arrives?
I thought it was on the boat but I hope it goes out next week. I should have by mid sept. Im so excited.

Originally Posted by smf32s
You'll love it. I got Rob's 996 and it was a pleasure to drive right from the start. Sequential will be the more difficult part but fun as you get it.

Rob's super clean as I remember and a nice ride. I hope this car is as much fun as everyone says. Quite honestly I am a little scared to drive it.

Good luck and have fun

Stu
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just sent in my Rookie Racing application and medical to PCA.
If all is OK I will book my ticket to Milwaukee and pack my helmet and overall.

I also need a car.
Great to borrow Clarke's car but if I understand it correctly I have to be there Thursday and run all races through Sunday successfully to get my PCA race license.

Making calls now for backup racecars (Anything, any speed) so I don't have to rely on Clarke's backup car only because I may not be able to complete the race weekend.
So you have to attend the rookie meeting friday night. it is about 2 hours long and worth while. Hopefully brian teaches it. He is a good guy and very knowledgable. You should have socks and gloves to be safe. I dont think a head sick is manditory but i it helps keep the sweat in the helmet to a minimum. You will have a blast.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Arriving Thursday 4PM departing Tuesday AM.
Staying woodlake inn or something.
John made me.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:39 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Arriving Thursday 4PM departing Tuesday AM.
Staying woodlake inn or something.
John made me.
sweet
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Nothing but Nomex or equiv - suit, socks, skivvies. That's the rule.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Ordered nomex stuff from Clark @ Apex :-)
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smf32s

Good luck and have fun

Stu
So, you coming to RA or not? Everybody else is racing it seems, so I need someone to run with.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stujelly, take both your cars to Miller for the PCA/POC event, if you have never been on the track you will love it.
I think POC is having their separate races but for $200 more you can run in all the practices. It would be a great venue and track to learn the car and race your cayman.

You might not remember me, I had a black/orange cup car at a GMG/POC event we met at.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
So, you coming to RA or not? Everybody else is racing it seems, so I need someone to run with.
Or it's time for a cup o jello?!

Quick Reply: Cup car Noob