Notices

Heel and Toe in Cup Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel and Toe in Cup Cars?

Want to know if you actually need to heel and toe in the 997 Cup cars. I am used to driving an Formula SCCA which has a sequential but you simply don't need to heel and toe under braking.

Any experience would be helpful, thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

After learning and using right foot braking + heal & toe (w/ and w/o blippers) in Cup cars the last few years... I recently switched to left foot braking (no clutch) in my cars. So the answer is no, you don't have to.. but your gearbox won't last as long as doing nice and clean heal & toe downshifts w/ the clutch.

-mike
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

no heel toe if you have blipper.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, without an autoblipper, if you're not blipping (Heel/toe), how does one keep the chassis stable during downshifting?

Sorry, but not having driven one of these cars, I have no clue.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of different throttle blippers that do the job for you. Manthey is a rod that goes to the gas peddle and the PMNA one is a cable that goes to the throttle butterfly. Either work I've had both...
Without a blipper you have to heel and toe for all the reasons you have to with an H pattern shifter.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
There are a couple of different throttle blippers that do the job for you. Manthey is a rod that goes to the gas peddle and the PMNA one is a cable that goes to the throttle butterfly. Either work I've had both...
Without a blipper you have to heel and toe for all the reasons you have to with an H pattern shifter.
Thanks Leigh, this makes sense.

Refering to Mike's comment regarding downshifting without the clutch - can this be done without the autoblipper, i.e. is there a neutral "gate" with the sequential where the blip could occur?

Curious and not ashamed to ask. I can run virtually any iteration of an H box out there, with or without clutch, bad syncros or dogs - no problem, but have never even sat in a 7Cup beyond trying out a seat for size.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no neutral between gears, to get to neutral you have to shift through the gears to "0" which is neutral and if you want reverse you grab the lever on the stick and shift into "7" from "0" which is reverse.
It will downshift without the clutch but it's better to use it. I've missed using the clutch a couple of times (brain fade) and it shifted, but it wasn't happy doing so. The dogs are fragile and not happy with anything other than a firm pull/push on the lever. The toughest thing I had to get used to over an H pattern was the amount of force needed to shift the thing. If you're too gentle it bites back..
Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no neutral between gears, to get to neutral you have to shift through the gears to "0" which is neutral and if you want reverse you grab the lever on the stick and shift into "7" from "0" which is reverse.
It will downshift without the clutch but it's better to use it. I've missed using the clutch a couple of times (brain fade) and it shifted, but it wasn't happy doing so. The dogs are fragile and not happy with anything other than a firm pull/push on the lever. The toughest thing I had to get used to over an H pattern was the amount of force needed to shift the thing. If you're too gentle it bites back..
agreed
Old 07-29-2013, 03:35 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default blip

Question which is better. Manthey or pmna???
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Dan39
Racer

Thx guys, great answers.

So what if you use the clutch and don't blip the throttle, is this a car that will get upste over that?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

If you use clutch without blipper or blip you will hurt the clutch, the trans and have the car unstable because of gearbox small blocking , so you have to use the throttle !
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
So what if you use the clutch and don't blip the throttle?
You'll look and feel like this.... Hell, even if you use the clutch AND blip the throttle, you might look and feel like this....
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how it should look.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM
boothkc
Advanced

It depends on your skill level and speed goals. For us mere mortals using the auto blipper and clutch for the down shifts is the way to go. This should be smooth and kind to the gear box. I like it set a little high say 35% throttle.

I recently had a coaching day with a pro and he clearly blipped beyond the "blipper" and gently used the trans to help slow the car. Hard braking corners need extra blips (you should see the shift lights flash) and smooth shifts to keep the gear box from "chirping" the rear tires and destabilizing the car. This is really at the edge and unless you earn a living driving is at the limit or beyond. He said he'd remove the blipper if it was his car.... but his shifts and lap times were perfect and unattainable.

Food for thought.....
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Refering to Mike's comment regarding downshifting without the clutch - can this be done without the autoblipper, i.e. is there a neutral "gate" with the sequential where the blip could occur?
Sorry, there's always a blip.. with or without the auto-blipper. I personally don't like the blipper.

-mike

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe in Cup Cars?