Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Cup axle breakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
Axles are timed out at 25hrs..... With a Hollinger box no lower than 105mm rear ride height and newer RSR box can go down to 90mm rear ride height.

200ft lbs max torque with no anti seize on the face of the stub axle where the nut seats. Add a dab of red loctite and you should be good to go.....

+1 to wheel bearing play and big curbs
My notes says

2007 rsr 81 mm floor and thats alot lower then you says

2008 says 70 mm from floor and that's even lower

2009 also says 70 mm
Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Rickard:

Thats aerodynamical ride height..... measured centerline with the lower control arms on the flat floor. i was referring to mechanical ride height
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

As for the torque? PMNA came out with that early in 2010 when we were breaking axles. Maybe it was late 2009 the years run together but never seen a failure at 200 but have seen my fair share at higher torques.

I will try and find it in my manuals but this is coming from experience FYI it isnt the bible

I have been in the pro ranks in ALMS GT2 on a RSR and Rolex Grand AM as a crew chief since 06 and its just speaking from experience thats all and what Porsche has told us.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:54 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Rickard:

Thats aerodynamical ride height..... measured centerline with the lower control arms on the flat floor. i was referring to mechanical ride height
Are you meaning regular measure point same as cup ?

RSR measure floor to ground
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

We have always measured both mechanical and aero ride height on the RSR's.... As you know the shim package for the floor has many different options (so you can get both a flat floor and the aero ride height you are shooting for). Mechanical is the most important and you fit the floor and adjust it around the mechanical ride height to achieve your aero ride height.... But this is apples and oranges to the current discussion and probably should be in its own thread :0

But in this particular application we were discussing cup car ride heights with a hollinger box and I also threw in the number for the cup car with the RSR box installed as many cars are now running that setup If you tried to run RSR ride heights all around the car would not be so good as you have roll center etc to deal with which is non adjustable unless the chassis is fitted with rsr suspension and subframes.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Now i understand what you mean I think

When you talk about mechanical rideheigt are you referring to the regular measure point ?

Subframes are different yes but upright and the rest is the same almost 2007 and 2008. . But I have 2011 RSR all parts on my car so no problem with rc and etc ..

Where can I find mechanical ride height on RSR I only have aero info no manuals talks aboute mechanical rideheigt only in the gt3 R car not rsr
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Porsche update the wheel nut torque spec with this 200 ft lb stub nut torque.
It would seem that tightening a nut onto the stub at 350 ft lb would just back the whole lot off (wheel but and stub nut) when you tried to pull a wheel.
Did they update the front axle stub nut torque too down to 200 ft lb also or did that remain unchanged at 460nm
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by outline
Did Porsche update the wheel nut torque spec with this 200 ft lb stub nut torque.
It would seem that tightening a nut onto the stub at 350 ft lb would just back the whole lot off (wheel but and stub nut) when you tried to pull a wheel.
Did they update the front axle stub nut torque too down to 200 ft lb also or did that remain unchanged at 460nm
The retaining ring keeps the stub from spinning off when you torque the wheel or remove the wheel nut
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by outline

Attached is two screenshots.... First is the old torque.. then after that came the addendum which I can not seem to find stating 200ft lbs but i will try and find it in my email.

Then after that was sorted out and axles weren't a issue this was the procedure in the manual..... but i have to say I didn't follow it and i stayed at 200 and never had a problem.... i just couldn't bring myself to do 51nm I never heard of a failure at 51 but like I said i couldn't mentally handle the stress lol.

Once again I do not speak for PMNA this is all just from experience do what you feel is best
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

We have always measured both mechanical and aero ride height on the RSR's.... As you know the shim package for the floor has many different options (so you can get both a flat floor and the aero ride height you are shooting for). Mechanical is the most important and you fit the floor and adjust it around the mechanical ride height to achieve your aero ride height.... But this is apples and oranges to the current discussion and probably should be in its own thread :0

But in this particular application we were discussing cup car ride heights with a hollinger box and I also threw in the number for the cup car with the RSR box installed as many cars are now running that setup If you tried to run RSR ride heights all around the car would not be so good as you have roll center etc to deal with which is non adjustable unless the chassis is fitted with rsr suspension and subframes.
Upping this

you wrote 105mm as lowest with hollinger box.. is this with 680mm tires or on a RSR with 710mm tires.. this should convert to 120mm on a RSR if so..

Can you explain more please

th

Quick Reply: Cup axle breakage