Sponsored by:

Motec GPS Beacon

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
yeah, exactly. i have venue config files for every venue wit the GPS start line in it. length, other track specific things which the dash config likes to know.
you load it as you arrive at the track before your first session and you're good to go.
htere are a LOT of goofy things in motec. another one that irks the living heck out of me is the computation of forecasted lap. i like AIM as it relates to lap times and forecasted laps by a margin of a bazillion to one. in aim, if its a new track, you can, while you drive around set the start/finish with a button push, and also set a few splits. again, you have to load that via the config software in motec.

then AIM automatically computers forecasted lap, which for us, is probably the main thing our drivers focus on, knowing how the lap is going particularly critical in qualifying,e tc.
in motec, you have first go do a lap to create a reference laps. then yo have to load the reference laps. then the dash while you drive can display a forecasted/estimated lap. if you load a reference laps which is super quick from yoru qualifying last time out...and now you are doing some simple easy laps testing setup on old tires....it gets all goofy. if you are getting more comfortable with each passing session, and lap times keep falling, you have to keep re-loading reference laps. blows. chunks.
and yuou have to get that reference laps by a) offloading the data b) loading it in I2Pro data analysis software (which by the way, is totally awsome and amazing) and then saving it as a reference lap, reconnecting to the dash and uploading the new reference lap to the dash. if you were constantly improving midsession or every session, you might have to load reference laps...often.

i think the CDL3 in our camaro allows you to select a setting which says that if you turn a lap that is faster, then it automatically saves that away as the new reference laps.

just saying....in some areas, Motec is just not as simplistic as AIM.

And all of this gets 100 times worse if you take into account the price delta between an AIM MXL Pista dash setup + GPS module (or AIM XML Dash + EVO 4 logger), and the same configuration with a MoTeC system. We are not talking in % here but in multipliers when comparing the price. Can't understand that they are not blown away by the competition because of that. It's ridiculous.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Peter, i agree. The CDS works like a charm for what i use it ( get rid of the beacon) but it is very expensive for that. But, we were able to remove the " pick up the motec beacon" decal from the trailer ramp

The most ridiculous thing about motec is upgrading the memory. Those who have done it know what i mean...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How about paying nearly $1,000 to unlock the dash (on the 997 Cup) just so you can add GPS hardware? Crazy.......
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amso3
How about paying nearly $1,000 to unlock the dash (on the 997 Cup) just so you can add GPS hardware? Crazy.......
its even more infuriating. the dang thing has 16megs of memory in it, but they only permission you for 1meg or something crazy to start.
so you have to receive it, and then you send it to PMNA who charges you $100 to unlock (its only like 100 bucks), but then its like $2800 total extra to a)unlock, free up 15mgs of memory which are already onboard, b) allow you to do Pro logging and c) permissions already-existing I/O ports

its ridiculous.
but g-d bless them,t hey have a lock on that high end market and they are ringing the cash register.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Peter, i agree. The CDS works like a charm for what i use it ( get rid of the beacon) but it is very expensive for that. But, we were able to remove the " pick up the motec beacon" decal from the trailer ramp

The most ridiculous thing about motec is upgrading the memory. Those who have done it know what i mean...
Yep, 860 € to upgrade to 16 Mo from 4... And that's because you HAVE TO use Porsche Motec Provider and not any Motec reseller...

Wanna laugh a little more ? Just search for the price of the SLM in Porsche parts and, even better, the small bracket that fits beneath it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Or upgrade the f/w incorrectly on a Cup and brick it...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

wow Peter - so you're saying the SOLO's gps & forecast laptime and general display of times/lap # etc..
beats the ADL dash handsdown?!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Chris Brown may disagree with this (and I do believe the current offerings from MoTeC, for professional grade accuracy, has them all beat), but...

I believe that the AiM GPS engine (as well as the Video VBOX GPS engine) is more useful, more relevant and MUCH easier to use FOR THIS PURPOSE than the current MoTeC ADL3/SDL3 and CDL3 offerings (and more accurate WITHOUT Race Grade GPS).

There can be NO comparison with the ADL version because the original ADL can't do what the Solo (EVO) line can do. The technology simply did not exist at that time.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks Peter
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Reviving an old thread here...

I'm trying to create MoTeC configuration files for all the tracks I visit (and specific permutations, such as the 3 mile and 5 mile at Thunderhill along with the bypass or cyclone; Buttonwillow's config #1 and #13; etc.). I'm doing this independent of the car, on my PC here at home. I'm just entering basic info such as the GPS coordinates for the start/finish.

My problem is that each time I save the file and then reopen it to check it, my GPS coordinates are gone and the coordinate values are reset to zero. Can anyone help me to diagnose what I'm doing wrong?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

24C

You should be saving as a Venue not a configuration. When you open your configuration file go to Edit Details then select an existing Venue, or create a new one if the one you want doesn't exist. Save the config and transmit to the dash to change track coordinates. The config will remember the most recent Venue. Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah got it, thanks!

I found that Dash Manager saves these files as *.VN1 files in the <loadpoint>/Details directory.

I've only entered the GPS start/finish coordinates. Does it matter? For example, should I edit them all (I have about 13 tracks - "venues") to include the track length and other details (Best Lap Time; Laps/Tank; Logging Directory) found on the "Venue" tab of the Details Editor dialog box?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure you can save that other info with the Venue. Give it a try.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

If you buy the new C125 kit you get dash, data logger and GPS included. Plug and play according to Motec site. Is this not true? I am debating whether to upgrade 996 cup SDL3 to C125 Or go with AIM MXL2/MXG Options that I am familiar with.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you set upp speed and distance with gps

I have gps speed as left and right input now and vheical speed as generate ground speed ?

Quick Reply: Motec GPS Beacon