Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

AiM SmartyCam Video Dash Layouts and Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013 | 09:45 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, Josh or Peter - do you guys have any recommendations on good books around data acquisition? Appreciate anny pointers you would care to offer.
Old 01-21-2013 | 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Toby, first book I would recommend (not AiM-centric, mostly Motec examples) is Chris Brown's "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines", second is Bob Knox's book. Take a look at my article at www.trailbrake.net

Direct link is: http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...liography.html
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-21-2013 | 02:01 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Toby

It plugs into the binder 4 pin lead that is marked USB, I believe it is on every harness except the recent "CAN" harness. I need your address, no charge for the unit.

Jerry
Old 01-27-2013 | 10:58 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, your USB kit arrived late last week and I found the pigtail on the harness. Will let you know as soon as I hear back from Texas Autosport. They sent my unit off to Josh last week. Should hear something on Monday. I really appreciate the pointers and feedback.

This USB connection must be soooo much better. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks again Jerry!!!!!

And for any of you following this thread.... If you have an AiM MXL, Jerry, Peter and Josh are GREAT to deal with.

Toby
Old 04-25-2013 | 10:05 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone had come across a video object for use in Smarty Manager that is a representation of the MXL dash. I would like to use this instead of the standard tachometer/speedo video objects that are currently defined.

One other question.... Has AiM come up with an external set of shift lights that can be positioned on the top of the dashboard in the line-of-sight for the driver? (Think the iShift lights or the Motec shift lights seen on later Cups)

Thanks everybody!

Toby
Old 04-26-2013 | 08:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Toby, I have a dash overlay for Video VBOX that replicates a MoTeC xDL, but nothing for AiM.

I've been selling a lot of G-Dash upgrades for EVO 3 and EVO 4 users because of the configurable shift lights included in that unit.

I have standalone shift lights in stock from an English company that are inexpensive and wonderful! Less than $200 shipped to CONUS.
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2013 | 09:00 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter. Have you seen the Ecliptech Shift-I product? TraqMate used to sell them, and I have one in my older 911. Progressive shift light setup and it works GREAT. Just discovered that they are no longer working with TraqMate and you have to buy direct from them in Australia. Shipping plus customs can be a two-week plus situation.

Would appreciate your thoughts on the Shift-I as I remember seeing folks document examples of connecting to a 996 ECU (not necessarily a Bosch Motorsport ECU) to get a tach signal.

Toby
Old 04-27-2013 | 07:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Toby, I sold a bunch of flat bottom and curved versions of Shift-i, and while they were the best available at the time, the setup was a pain and as you say, there is no longer a US distributor.

I get better service from DRE and the lights are MUCH easier to program. You do need, as you do for the Shift-i, a square wave tach signal. Most cars have accessible connections.
Old 04-27-2013 | 09:18 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter, found that Panic Motorsports in SC sells these. Going to give it a try. Since I have one in my 73 911, I'm at least conversant with the programming aspect of the device. Will report results back after installation.

Quick Reply: AiM SmartyCam Video Dash Layouts and Recommendations