Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

AiM SmartyCam Video Dash Layouts and Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
joshhanrahan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby, do you have software version 2.47.04? RaceStudio 2 version 2.47.04 released on December 18th should have the Windows 8 required USB driver package. I have successfully communicated with several MXLs on Windows 8 PCs in the last couple of weeks using this software. Please try it (if you haven't already) and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Josh
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
joshhanrahan
5th Gear

Here is a link to the software...
http://aim-sportline.com/download/so...121218_WEB.exe
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Josh,

Thanks. Will try again this coming weekend. I thought I had downloaded all the current versions, but will check and insure that I have done so. Should I remove RS2 and install a fresh copy?

Toby
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Toby

Download RS 2, Smarty Manager and GPS manager. All were updated a few weeks ago. You do not need to remove the old ones, it will do the upgrade. Let us know if it solves the issue with Win 8.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry,

I'm 99.9995% certain that I downloaded the current versions of all three apps and installed them. I'll verify this coming weekend, and also try with a Win7 Ultimate machine. Interestingly, I used this SAME MACHINE to connect via Win7 with older versions of he code base. That's why I am thinking it may be some sort of a USB driver problem in Win8 Pro.

More to come.....

Toby
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
joshhanrahan
5th Gear

Toby,

Jerry is right--you should be able to simply run the installer and the revised software will install right over top of the previous version/s. Please let us know how it goes; if there is a problem, we will get right on it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will do Josh. Will try this out this weekend and report back my results. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,093 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Toby, the most important upgrade of Race Studio 2 2.47.02 to 2.47.04 is the inclusion of a W8 USB driver.

To find out what you have, open RS2 and look in the top left of the screen. Version number will be shown there.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter. Will check tonight when I get to the weekend house.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interestingly enough, when I checked the Programs option on the Control Panel as I went to delete what was installed, the Installer came up and asked if I wanted to install the update or remove the code. So even though the original run of the installer indicated success, perhaps features did not get installed?

Regardless, I deleted all three packages and have the machine current with all Win8 Pro updates and the Java update. Re-downloaded the files and am re-installing them as we type. Will test today and report back.

Toby
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, and BTW, anyone yet have Start/Finish coordinates for GPS Manager for the COTA track? B) I need to get that loaded in advance of the PCA Club Race down there May 10-12!!!!

Toby
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I must have a bad USB cable. I tried both a Win8 Pro box and a Win7 Ultimate box running the latest software for RS2. I get an "Impossible to communicate with data logger" error message from both machines. Where can I obtain a new cable? My dash appears to be working fine, so the only other thing I can try is an older version of RS2. Any other thoughts?

Toby
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Josh,

I pulled the dash because it can't communicate. Perhaps the connector inside the dash has a loose wire? I left it with the Texas Autosports folks as they are sending off a few other dashes (to you I believe) for repair. If you get it and have a question, feel free to drop me a line.

I tried back-levels of software as well as reinstalling the current RS2. No joy. I downloaded and installed the latest FirmUp in hopes that maybe IT could talk to the dash. No joy! I *WAS* able to use the same USB port on my PC to update my USB Memory Key, and that same port *CAN* connect successfully to my SmartyCam. So I'm reasonably sure it's not the USB port. Hopefully, you guys can fix it! Please save the current config if you can access the dash. PLEASE PLEASE!! PRETTY PLEASE! I don't want to think about asking Todd Oppermann to re-program it again!

Thanks a bunch to you, Jerry and Peter for all your suggestions and advice.

Toby
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Download cable

Toby

When you get your dash back, I recommend adding the download adapter that uses the USB pigtail from the harness. The unit shown below uses a regular USB to mini USB cable included in the kit but if you loose it it is a standard printer cable available at any Wal-mart or Staples etc. No risk of damaging the download jack on the dash so I like this if you download often (and you should be). If you want one PM your address.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, man I am all in on that download adapter! Do you have pictures of how this adapter plugs in to the harness? Does it has a 4-pin Binder plug on it? Hard to tell from the picture. But, assuming that the port is available somewhere on the harness (was it available on all harnesses?), by all means tell me how I can buy one. Thanks for the pointer!

tpennycuff at tx dot rr dot com

Toby

Quick Reply: AiM SmartyCam Video Dash Layouts and Recommendations