Can Bus Connection Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can Bus Connection Question

Hi,

I have a 2004 cup car with a Motec dash. It is connected to the Can Bus connection.

I also just got a AIM David for video recording. It has the same Can Bus connection, but the Motec is already plugged into it.

Is there some sort of splitter I can get so that both devices will get a signal.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Ed, I have a splitter that you can try. It's the one that hooked up to the AIM David system in my car.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

also have this gizmo...http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c...r_data-hub.htm
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't worked with David but for Smarty Cams we use the ECU Bridge. The one for the Cup Car comes with Autosport connectors, and acts like a splitter. It connects to the 5 pin Autosport out of the ECU and has a "pass thru" so if something is connected to it (like the dash) it can connect to the "out" connector.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c...ecu-bridge.htm

It might be what BGIERE is offering to loan you. I have one in stock if you want to try that
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Ed, I have a splitter that you can try. It's the one that hooked up to the AIM David system in my car.
This is what you want, IIRC.

Originally Posted by bgiere
This won't do it. Just adds AiM peripherals to existing AiM devices. Need a bridge like Jerry is talking about or something to first translate the vehicle's CAN protocol to AiM's CAN protocol. They're different.

I have two used add-on David's if someone is interested. Cheap.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

I am in real flux about what I want to do here.

I have a Motec ADL1 dash in the car. Works great for what I use it for. I never set up the beacon and do not much use the data.

I have a RaceCommander that overlays the data (not engine data, just GPS and g-force) onto the video. It also starts and stops the video (which is huge for me) also has predictive lap timing. I like it because I do not have to fool with it. It just works.

I picked up a used stand alone David for two reasons. The first is that the two camera setup I have has horible resolution (the Chasecam SS1000) and I was hoping that the David would provide better. The second reason is that I would like the data overlayed on the video without post processing and it would include the engine data too.

That said, I would like to have a shift light that is better than the orange light that comes with the car and to have any kind of shift light with the Motec, I would have to add more inputs than I already have and then make a shift light unit and ...

Then, at the same time, I am mixing units between the Motec and the AIM as I use the David.

I have two options at this point. A friend as an ADL2 unit that he would sell me. I can get this, sell my ADL1 (is the wiring the same so that I do not have to wire the entire car again, or am I out of luck there too) And, hopefully add the additional inputs I need to use things like the updated progressive shift lights.

Or, do I sell the Motec and get myself an Aim dash instead.

Any and all options are welcome.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 781 Likes on 507 Posts

I think you're right about going with one system and planning it out. I'm sure Jerry has some input as he has done a lot with both of those systems in Cup Cars.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default ADL 1 vs ADL 2 VS AIM

Ed

I would recommend staying with Motec in the car. That said, you will have issues swapping to ADL 2. I am not familiar with the connector on the back of ADL 1 but you should call Joe Hullet, he is the expert in the US (see below). You can look at the back of the dash and see if it has a 79 pin Autosport connector like the ADL 2. The ADL 2 uses a simpler download connection so that would need to be rewired. If I remember correctly, this was Dan Jacob's 996 Cup and that has the PRO version ADL 1. All 996 Cups came without a data system so your car will have a custom wiring harness made for that car. I looked at some old data from that car and it looks like you have steering, brake pressure, 3 axis accelerometer, and wired for shock pots. These are all good reasons to keep the harness you have and not change to AIM. There are many advantages to have the PRO version, like being able to add shock pots etc, so untill you find a good reason to spend the money to upgrade to ADL 2 Pro, I'd use what you have.

If you talk to Joe, ask him if you can add the SLM (Shift light module) and the GPS module to the ADL 1. These are great additions.

As far as David goes, AIM stopped supporting that a few years ago. Not sure the quality is any better than the Chase Cam. If you did not get the ECU bridge with the David, you'll need that to put ECU data on the video. I have them in stock for Cup Cars (these are special and include a pair of 5 pin Autosport connectors on the bridge wiring). http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c...ecu-bridge.htm
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Jerry,

Thanks. I had written you an email directly about this as well. (basically saying the same thing)

The wiring harness is terminated for, but the sensors are not there for:
individual wheel speed
dash pots
steering wheel sensor
shift light

I guess I had not realized that anything had originally been hooked up to these.

what is the cost of the can bridge that you have.

My issue is not with the resolution of the PDR, it is with the resolution once the SS1000 is added. It really degrades the image.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, i have a professionally installedAIM MXL and a smarty cam I have been struggling with for the past nine months. I would say I'm above average on getting through the learning curve of most software programs but Race Studio 2 has been frustrating to me.

Tim
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,

I have for sale a custom wiring harness that plugs into the 996 supercup harmess that was sealed that opens up the additional channels for the slm, among other things. Do a search for harness in this forum from a week or two ago. Or email me at sl_streimer@streimer.com. If your car had the original enclosed data logger with the supercup wiring harness this would be perfect for you. Thanks, Steve
Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
FWIW, i have a professionally installedAIM MXL and a smarty cam I have been struggling with for the past nine months. I would say I'm above average on getting through the learning curve of most software programs but Race Studio 2 has been frustrating to me.

Tim
The struggling is pure because of the software? Or do you have hardware issues also?

Did you install an MXL Pista or Pro on a MoTeC system?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Tim Kay

I f you want to e-mail me at jandsaustin1 at verizon.net, I'll be happy to assist you with the AIM stuff.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay

Tim
My post above was not intended to discourage or be critical of Aim\Smarty Cam. I simply wanted to state my experience and I certainly don’t want others to be dissuaded from the product.

Let me be a little more precise in my statement. The product works as intended and the final results, both data acquisition and video, are fantastic. I just seem to have a mental block in understanding the Race Studio setup and interface to the hardware. When I say “struggle” I guess I really mean I’m used to being able to work through most programs with a little trial and error but with Aim software I probably need to dedicate some time and “read” the manual and understand it better than I do. So my ‘frustration’ is that I wasn’t able to conquer it as I’ve been accustomed to. To compound that, I only get to the track once or twice a month, I usually don’t have time at the track to fiddle with it, so if what I setup doesn’t work then I have to wait until the next outing to apply any corrections.

The fact is the tech support for Aim and Smarty Cam has been one of the best I’ve experienced with any tech product I’ve ever purchased and required help from. As you can see on this thread Amso3 has offered to help me with my issue. Others associated with Aim have also extended unsolicited help to me in the past in the same gracious manner. Knowing that the support is there is just as important as knowing the product is of quality, good job Aim!

The struggling is pure because of the software? Or do you have hardware issues also?

Did you install an MXL Pista or Pro on a MoTeC system?
Only the software, hardware works great and as intended.
I do not have any Motec hardware only the MXL Pista.

Quick Reply: Can Bus Connection Question