Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

996 Cup ECU read out

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 996 Cup ECU read out

Got a check engine warning light after having driven in pouring rain. Car was running very fine till then and even with the light on, it ran perfect but want to see what the issue is and eventually erase that code. I have understood that you can put the car to a normal tester with a PIWIS cable but that it does not allow you to read out the engine, only the car (for example ABS)

Can someone explain me the basics on how to do a read out on my 2003 996 GT3 Cup for the main fault codes ? I'm kind of guessing but want to be sure. Do i need special software, cables etc, etc. Thanks

Last edited by Q&A; 11-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into a Durametric system. About the cheapest way to do this. The motorsport system can read the fault codes and also show you engine hours and max RPM recorded since reset.

The system is about $1k.

My racing group just got one. Not without its issues, but we are working with Durametric for a update to the version 6 software. Version 5 seems to work good.

Thanks

Ed
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Has anybody experienced the same, check engine light, when driving in serious rain ? Heard the 997 Cup has a drain/plug that you need to take out of the air filter housing when driving in the rain. This to prevent it from too much water being sucked into the air filter. I can't see any thing to take out of my 2003 air filter housing though ?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

no experience there Ivo but I got a oxygen sensor fault using the Durametric w cup car module which you do need as explained above.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
Has anybody experienced the same, check engine light, when driving in serious rain ? Heard the 997 Cup has a drain/plug that you need to take out of the air filter housing when driving in the rain. This to prevent it from too much water being sucked into the air filter. I can't see any thing to take out of my 2003 air filter housing though ?
I had the same problem with a check engine light coming on in heavy rain in my 996 cup. only happenned once. I recommend the durametric as a cheap option to read fault codes and reset them.

I do not recall what the code was when i had the light come on in heavy rain. as i recall at the time, i just reset and it did not come back.

Quick Reply: 996 Cup ECU read out