Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

996 Cup Aero Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to assume that Porsche selected the chord and profile of the 996 Cup wing to take into account it's installation lower to the car body... ..and that moving it up higher would unbalance the aero. ...or am I assuming too much?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cstreit
I've got to assume that Porsche selected the chord and profile of the 996 Cup wing to take into account it's installation lower to the car body... ..and that moving it up higher would unbalance the aero. ...or am I assuming too much?
Ideal height is roof height according to Crawford research you can always run a flatter wing setting to balance or bigger splitter in front
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen
bigger splitter in front
What options are available for 6gt3? I am trying to find info on the Crawford splitter to no avail, any ideas? I have the crawford wing ready to go, but need to understand if a splitter is available that generates more DF than the Cup version.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bump, More questions and a bit of rambling...

Rather than starting a new thread, I figure I'll just stick to this one. I know I've probably been annoying some of you with questions about wing angle. Sorry. The Reverie test, was conducted @ position #3. Why that was picked? IDK Maybe they were trying to match the AoA for the road car?

I've been looking for the angle of attack (from horizontal) for any single position, for the standard 997 Cup upright, so that I may determine what angle this test was run at.

I've got a rough profile built, and been running some simple CFD, so it would be nice to have an estimate of the entire range of drag and lift available.

Odd observation I've made is that the positions for the 997.2 uprights are flipped (flattest position is now on the leading edge of the upright). Any Clue why?

Been looking into books. Started with Frere's Porsche 911 Story and while it contains a wealth of information on the older cars, it is not giving me enough for the 996.2 GT3. If anyone has info on Clf and Clr for the 3,6.2 road car I'm all ears. I've got 996.1 GT3 info, and know that lift decreased with the next gen. Any sort of relative data about any 996 gen GT3 to Cup is also helpful. Suggestion on what book to look up next is also appreciated.

Here is a screenshot of my 996 wing simple CFD results (Newtons):
https://i.imgur.com/HTPh0p9.png?1
Can anyone confirm or deny accuracy. It would be nice to know if my setup is even in the ballpark.
Thanks a bunch!
Andrew

Last edited by lordpantsington; 03-22-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 996 Cup Aero Questions