Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

FS: 2001 Cup Car, WC spec.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Just for the record, my best entry into Turn 1 at Thunderhill is 148.6 in the 2011 Cup, and the WC car was faster.

And I'm a much better driver now.. :-)

-mike
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Polar/Fleadh- that air intake surround and filter seems to be off a 997 - does the 01 intake/plenum take the 997 part easily?

Thanks aNd GLWS - loving my stock 01 and this one looks well tweaked!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Must be Fall in Canada as I again find myself gawking at these FS adds...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Must be Fall in Canada as I again find myself gawking at these FS adds...
François...Come to the cup side, the water is fine!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I see this car had a NASA sticker on it...there must have been a dyno at one time or another if it raced GTS. How many hours can you expect to get out of the WC motor before a major?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FLA997
François...Come to the cup side, the water is fine!
Haha, thanks, I'm sure it is

The biggest thing is that, to afford this, I would have to sell the 996, and that is really, really tough for me to do. The car is perfect, and I still have so much to learn. But a cup is very intriguing, not to mention that I only drive on the track anyway, so it would make sense to have a proper track/race car.

Distant second is dealing with slower traffic in a "point-by" environment, but I can cross that bridge when I get there (notice I said "when", not "if"). Then there's racing... Guess I picked the wrong time to get into an expensive hobby.

So Russ, 40 hours on engine and gearbox, care to estimate total on car?

And just amongst us girls (pm if you prefer), what are we looking at as the next bigger mtce events?

Gear box and diff should probably be looked at, which is not a big deal.

Motor refresh? Can we monitor condition, or is there no warning, so should be done at a fixed interval?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The biggest thing is that, to afford this, I would have to sell the 996, and that is really, really tough for me to do. The car is perfect, and I still have so much to learn. But a cup is very intriguing, not to mention that I only drive on the track anyway, so it would make sense to have a proper track/race car.

Distant second is dealing with slower traffic in a "point-by" environment, but I can cross that bridge when I get there (notice I said "when", not "if"). Then there's racing... Guess I picked the wrong time to get into an expensive hobby.

And just amongst us girls (pm if you prefer), what are we looking at as the next bigger mtce events?

Motor refresh? Can we monitor condition, or is there no warning, so should be done at a fixed interval?
The total on car can easily be estimated with the KM on the tub, ie 16000km =100hours...

Ive given Russ some specifics on the refresh info on this generation and am sure he will share with You via pm.

The car, I want it, its awesome. I remember when Thomas Van Overbeek brought it to a ClubRace and it Ran vs its 2002 sister car owned by Ron Foristall. Really awesome cars, well prepped and ran great. I am sure Mike took great care of it and if You get the 3 digit rebuild code You can find when exactly it was done and then know if/when what weaknesses and failures it would be inclined to for its generation.

Anyway Russ if You dont find a buyer the trailers headed this way around the F1 date. Anyone who gets it will really enjoy it!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Glen, an endorsement from someone like you goes a long way in reassuring someone like me.

Understand that buying a 12 year old race car can be a bit intimidating for a newb like me... especially when the two are separated by many thousands of miles.

So Russ, do share the "refresh info" if you get a chance.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

PM sent
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
The total on car can easily be estimated with the KM on the tub, ie 16000km =100hours...

Ive given Russ some specifics on the refresh info on this generation and am sure he will share with You via pm.

The car, I want it, its awesome. I remember when Thomas Van Overbeek brought it to a ClubRace and it Ran vs its 2002 sister car owned by Ron Foristall. Really awesome cars, well prepped and ran great. I am sure Mike took great care of it and if You get the 3 digit rebuild code You can find when exactly it was done and then know if/when what weaknesses and failures it would be inclined to for its generation.

Anyway Russ if You dont find a buyer the trailers headed this way around the F1 date. Anyone who gets it will really enjoy it!
PM sent
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks,
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
I see this car had a NASA sticker on it...there must have been a dyno at one time or another if it raced GTS. How many hours can you expect to get out of the WC motor before a major?
GTS 5 for sure in NASA.

I asked the question recently of how many hours you can expect from a WC Engine versus a Stock Cup Engine to a prominant PCA Cup Racer and Engine Builder and this is the answer I got:

"Not sure. The rules of thumb for real racing are quite different from Cup cars doing club stuff; PMNA would likely have said or still might say 30-50 hours. And in any case, I will never forget when I took Jerry Woods' & Bruce Anderson's engine building class some years ago... someone asked if more performance meant a shorter rebuild interval. Jerry looked like he was going to say something complicated and profound and possibly cryptic. He just said "yes", with a big smile... so the answer was profound as it turned out"
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Hey Polar/Fleadh- that air intake surround and filter seems to be off a 997 - does the 01 intake/plenum take the 997 part easily?

Thanks aNd GLWS - loving my stock 01 and this one looks well tweaked!
bump on this question before Franc snaps this up
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
flowbe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
bump on this question before Franc snaps this up
The intake is a 2004 996 cup intake .
It should fit your 2001 without any problem .
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks J!

Quick Reply: FS: 2001 Cup Car, WC spec.