Sponsored by:

TRG wins @ Mosport!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRG wins @ Mosport!!

PETALUMA, CA (July 23) - Spencer Pumpelly and Emilio DiGuida went north of the border to the Grand Prix of Mosport focused on one thing - winning. And win they did!

With DiGuida driving a flawless opening stint and Pumpelly playing chase the last 30 minutes of the classic at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, TRG's No. 66 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car claimed the second ALMS win of the season for TRG, keeping them in the team championship picture for 2012.

"This was a great win today by the TRG guys," said Pumpelly. "Emilio did a fantastic opening stint and really kept us in the hunt, even taking his turn at leading for a while. We lost a little time during one of our pit stops but a late race yellow allowed us to catch back up and be in position to attack for the win."

"I had never driven here before," said DiGuida, who won earlier this year for TRG at Laguna Seca with Jeroen Bleekemolen and Bret Curtis. "But we had some good track time and Spence walked me through a few things that were super helpful .... and the guys just gave us an amazing car today!"

With less than 25 minutes remaining, the race's third yellow appeared with TRG and Pumpelly trailing by about 12 seconds. When the green was thrown with 13 minutes to go, Pumpelly trailed by just a little more than four seconds. He gradually squeezed the No. 11 car and passed with just under eight minutes to go.

The race was far from over, however, as the No. 22 car with Leh Keen behind the wheel kept closing, only a second or two behind Pumpelly. The veteran sports car driver held him off, however, winning for the second time at Mosport in as many years. Last year's win at Mosport was its second of three consecutive victories that sprung TRG into the championship hunt.

"I am really really proud of the entire team this weekend," commented team owner Kevin Buckler. "This is one tough track--the manly man track and Emilio jumped right in and had one of his best races and stints so far. Spence was a great closer as always and the crew prepared a perfect car. TRG has a great history here with one of our first ALMS GT wins for us in 2002 so the tradition continues!! Our eyes are set on a championship here and winning every single race we can from here on out."

"We were on a nice streak here last year, so hopefully this will have a similar effect and lead to more victories in 2012 and perhaps even a championship run," said Pumpelly. "Everyone did a great job. I'm very proud of our effort today."

"Two wins now in ALMS," remarked DiGuida. "I'm thrilled. TRG is a great team to race for and Spencer is the best teammate anyone could imagine. I feel like the entire team is getting better and better. I'm hoping we can win a few more before the season is out."

TRG's next ALMS race is at MidOhio on August 4th. It is half way through the 2012 schedule and TRG is currently in third place in the GTC class, unofficially six points out of second and 18 out of the lead.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats! Sponsor forum, win race. Coincidence????!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Awesome, after the problem we had at Lime Rock it's great to see a win!!!

Of course there was no coverage of Spencer's pass as the GT class was having an amazing battle.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Derek, congrats to you and your team!!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Well done guys.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats guys, nice job!

-mike
Old 07-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, we needed it after the June/ July we had!!!

Quick Reply: TRG wins @ Mosport!!