Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

996 Cup heat - How much is too much

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just straightening fins and a good cleaning with 200psi nitrogen dropped temps by 10 degrees on what felt like a hotter day.... They still need a better cleaning but it kept the temp light from flickering on here and there....

On a side note, 300 feet from the finish line, having climbed from P4 to P1, my battery shorted and blew the top off, vaporized the negative post, and I coasted across the start/finish under no power. Was worried something bad happened untill I saw that I had ZERO electric and smelled a little sulfur in the air... Hmm... Battery?

THere were literally pieces of "solder spatter" inside the front boot from where the post got hot and sprayed when the top came off.... Yikes.

Video from this race. Only first 20 minutes....

http://youtu.be/RVWxi2TSA_U
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Chirs I know why you were running hot. It's from all the dirt the white #00 Beemer kept throwing at you as he went over the inside curbs. Great job, I watched the whole vid....

I remember reading late last year about restricting your car to make GTS4. How did you do it and what WHP did you end up with? You and Jay from Texas should have a interesting Nationals race.....
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

JR,

I ended up with about a 70mm diameter restrictor and was able to run the Hoosier R6 with 325HP and about 2850# coming off track. Problem is I ate up those tires so fast and overheated the rears so bad it was getting really fustrating.

So I added a fair bit of weight, about 100# to move to Hoosier R80/R100 slicks and that seems to have fixed the issue. The taller rear tire profile is holding up a lot better. Plan is to tune with a better restictor to take that weight out.

Additionally my shocks were really bad. Last year I would have finished 3rd or 4th in Nationals if I hadn't gambled on rains... With good tires and working shocks, well... Possibility is there. I've been 2nd twice there before. I'll only go this year if I think I have a real shot at winning. Don't want to be a bridesmaid again.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 AM
nprichards
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstreit
Well for me PCA legality isn't really an issue, but if I ever sell it might be. I was shocked (SHOCKED I tell you!) at how much small gravel and little bits of rubber were impacted into those fins. I think a pressure washer will definitely help, they need a thorough cleaning back in the shop for sure.

I'm suprised Porsche didn't do more with ducting the back side of the radiators. Hell the side radiators just point to the wheel arches and the center one is 2-3 inches from the flat body panel... Not exactly efficient air-flow.

BTW anyone put in a street GT3 fan to help with cooling on the grid/paddock? Temps climb REAL fast once you get off track.
ctreit,

I'm one of the owners of GSR Autosport - we produce the radiators linked above in partnership with CSF Radiator. We've had great results with these radiators running them out here in the CA desert. Would love to get some in your car and see what you think. PM me.

Use to live in Buffalo Grove until my wife and I were broken by the Chicago winters and we came back to CA with our frost bitten tails between our legs.

Nick...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Nick,

I appreciate your generous offer and your opinion of CHicago winters.

I'm going to do some observation to see if this becomes a chronic issue. I am running water/wetter at this point

Quick Reply: 996 Cup heat - How much is too much