Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Cup Car front sway drop links for 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cup Car front sway drop links for 996

I have an '02 996 that has Cup Car sways and links front and rear. The front drop links are worn (I'm told) which is what causes my low speed clunk over bumps. I'm wondering if there are any aftermarket suppliers of replacement front links that will work with this bar? The OEM part is a lot of money to just get rid of a clunking noise, but I would like to fix it. As I recall the OEM links were quoted at something like $600 from Sunset.

Also, any idea how long a part like this should last without wearing to the point where it's making noise?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that's a first for me. I've never heard of a worn out drop link but I guess it's possible. I'm not sure there's any difference between the GT3 cup and street GT3 sway bars or drop links. If they're the same then Tarett, TRG, or any aftermarket adjustable drop link will work. I would jack up the front and play around with the links to see if there's really any play there significant enough to cause the clunk you're hearing. Your car appears pretty low in the avatar pic so the clunking could from several sources including just basic setup. Are your sway bars and links just recently installed?.....
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

+1
that clunk sounds like a setup issue, binding, etc.
I am pretty sure my cup sway and link pieces are OEM GT3 parts
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not uncommon at all for rod ends in swaybar links to wear and start making noise... That said, islolate the noise and fix/replace what is causing it without a blind purchase/replace ethic to solve the problem....

Quick Reply: Cup Car front sway drop links for 996