Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Four GMG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Cars in the Grand Prix of Long Beach

GMG Racing, the multi-series professional racing team and premier performance tuning facility for European vehicles in Southern California raced a total of six cars across two races that included a pair of fourth place finishes at the 2012 Grand Prix of Long Beach.

“It was a weekend full of challenges and successes for GMG Racing as we fielded more cars than any other team in weather ranging from terrible to perfect,” noted GMG Racing president, co-founder, and lead driver James Sofronas.

Sofronas was the only GMG Racing driver to participate in both the Pirelli World Challenge and Tequila Patron American Le Mans Series races this weekend. He placed 4th in the ALMS race on Saturday night in the No. 32 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car along with co-driver Alex Welch in the GTC class. The race hit a snag early for GMG when Welch had contact with a prototype vehicle. Later during Sofronas’ turn at the wheel, a cone kicked up by another vehicle smacked into the car and damaged the front-splitter for the rest of the race.

“Despite the setbacks Alex and I managed to keep our focus, and with the support of our amazing crew we ended up in fourth, just shy of the podium but up two positions better than we started,” said Sofronas.

For Sunday’s World Challenge Race, Sofronas took the wheel of the No. 14 GMG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup in the GT class. The 2009 winner and last year’s runner up again pulled a 4th place finish, running nose to tail with teammate Dino Crescentini for part of the time in the No. 4 StopTech/GMG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.

“All in all I had a pretty good World Challenge race,” summarized Sofronas. “We got a great start and both Dino and I squeezed past Lawson Aschenbach to get into 5th and 6th respectively. We each gained another spot by lap 2 and I passed Dino on lap 4. From there I had to contend with a very strong Ferrari into Turn 1 which caused me to become defensive in the braking zones. This allowed the top 3 cars to pull away for the rest of the race, especially after I lost another few seconds through contact with a lapped Mustang.”

Brent Holden made his 2012 GMG Racing debut in Long Beach behind the wheel of the No. 44 GMG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Car in the GT class this weekend. He ran a solid race with lap times faster than his qualifying times to finish in 12th place.

“A team of experienced drivers and a superlative crew came together for a fantastic weekend of driving supported by our great sponsors including StopTech, Mobil 1, Pirelli Tires, Swisher, Tracks.io and Endless,” concluded Sofronas.

The Pirelli World Challenge at the Grand Prix of Long Beach will air on the NBC Sports Network (formally Versus) on Sunday, April 29th at 3-4:30PM eastern. The next stop for the series is the Utah Grand Prix at Miller Motorsports Park on April 26-27. The American Le Mans Series moves on to Laguna Seca for the American Le Mans Monterey from May11-13.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Quick Reply: Four GMG Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Cars in the Grand Prix of Long Beach