Sponsored by:

Additional Driving and interior Lights for PCA Sebring night races

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional Driving and interior Lights for PCA Sebring night races

We will need extra lighting on the Porsche Cup to run at night. Stock headlights are not enough. May also need a small interior light for the steering wheel/panel switches.
What do you guys have used before?
PCA rules regarding the subject do not leave too much room for a real improvement,...
"Effective 1.1.12
2012 PCA Club Racing Rules: APPENDIX G - SUPPLEMENTAL LIGHTING RULES FOR NIGHT RACES Cars entered in a night race must comply with the following lighting requirements: 1. Headlights and tail lights are required. Two primary headlights and two tail lights must be as bright as the original factory lights for the car model. The original headlights and tail lights for the car model may be used and no additional lights are required beyond these. 2 Primary headlights must be located on the front of the car, above the bumper and below hood level, and outside of the inner edge of the front tire. Up to two additional driving lights may be located between the primary headlights. Additional lights may not be brighter than the primary headlights. Roof lights are not allowed. 3 Tail lights must be located either as part of the light complex that includes the two primary brake lights or near those brake lights, outside of the inner edge of the rear tire. 4 Excessive glare in the mirrors from overly bright and poorly aimed lights of cars approaching from behind is a significant problem, and all lighting must be adjusted to avoid this. However, adequate headlights are necessary to be able to see the track surface ahead, and tail lights are needed to be seen by cars behind."
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Why aren't stock headlights enough? I don't see a requirement that you have to run more than the stock lights... Your MoTec dash is lit at night and I sure don't plan on pushing any of the other buttons...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Well I drove last november the night enduro at sebring with HSR, and I can say that at speed it is not really comfortable,... I lost my references a couple of times,... Maybe it is necessary to pick up new track reference points... But since PCA allow two extra front lights I really think it is better to install a temporary set.
Interior lights may not be that important, only if you are changing drivers during the enduro,...
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

look to the RSR ....... it has the lighting solution...
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

if you wanna have more then the marking light area filled you might be allowed to add center beams:
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
if you wanna have more then the marking light area filled you might be allowed to add center beams:
Do you know what Hella type/model lamp do they use?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

or, you could way over the top.....
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
or, you could way over the top.....
Only two additional lights are allowed, and located between the main lights, the metal bar to support the lights is a good idea, I don't want to cut holes in the bumper.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, at the time, I was not very happy about those two visible holes either. The top connection goes beneath the hood and bolts into another tapped/insert into the frame.

They were, however, tapped with inserts and steel backing and I ran white plugs over them when the lights were not installed.

The aiming of the lights was super important so as not to blind drivers you approach. This year, the new owner of the car will run with 2 instead of 4.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus F
Do you know what Hella type/model lamp do they use?

give em' a call...... they are having a sale and lights are on the list!

http://www.lizardms.com/usedparts/

Quick Reply: Additional Driving and interior Lights for PCA Sebring night races