New is new.
Old 01-02-2012 | 02:56 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

wait, this is street legal?
Old 01-02-2012 | 03:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

This sounds like something that would have come out of Bill Jackson's garage...
Old 01-02-2012 | 04:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mooty?!

New is new.
mooty no money

Originally Posted by maroli
wait, this is street legal?
the 964 cup is street legal not the subject car for sale.
Old 01-02-2012 | 09:51 PM
ccamut
Instructor

Can someone share there thought from the perspective of what this car needs because it has sat for 5 years, and the costs associated with that?

Second, what spares, updates, extras are needed to get started with this car? I would be upgrading from a PCA E car. Is it competitive out of the box?
Old 01-03-2012 | 12:19 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Mooty, I feel ya brother, this is a seriously nice deal tho...

Being a zero timed car you would want to check out all the fluids and seals, nice part about it is PMNA would have prepped this for storage/transport so it wouldn't have been a "rode hard put away wet" that you would get with a club or series race car. Bit five years I'd swap out all the fluids, run it and look for leaks... At 5 years many of the FIA certs will be up for inspection/replacement(seat & belts, no cell to worry about) they ship on wets so those still may be ok...

Spares: most used cars come with at least two sets of wheels, but beyond that you are normally getting second hand takeoffs or race spares, more the better but at this price point the wheels would be the big factor IMHO... If you can find the original invoice/bill of laden you should get a list of what would of come with the car.

The only thing I would be particular about is that the cars are not completely assembled off the boat, you would want to make sure you have ALL the bits for a 100% car...
Old 01-03-2012 | 12:29 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Since I'm not competitive in the cup I'm probably not the one to answer, but you will want a good setup by a shop that knows cups, two sets of road wheels plus a set of rains, as many spares as things you plan to run into, pads, fluids (all the traditional stuff) data download, NO2 bottle/airlance, stands and a big *** torque wrench and centerlock socket...

Oh and the fire bottle will be timed out...
Old 01-03-2012 | 01:02 AM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

ccamut, there is a lot of good info on the boards but my recommendation to you would be to contact a reputable shop that maintains cup cars and have them give you their opinion on what to do with a car that has sat for awhile.
As far as spares goes, the spares package that came with the 2006 cars is nowhere near the package that comes with todays cars. You can easily put together a package, but that package would be very different if you were club racing vs running a complete series, thus consulting a shop could save you from buying things like axles, shifter cables, front and rear bumpers, etc, etc.
Other than fluid changes, tires and possibly pads, you should be able to run 20 hours without any major costs.
I would highly suggest a Manthay auto blipper, that way you can still manually blip the throttle on downshifts and have a "back up" in case your timing is off at first. I like to look at it as insurance, it is cheaper than rebuilding a box over one bad downshift.
BBS can hook you up with another set of rims as two sets would be a minimum you would want to race with.
Regarding competitiveness, I am pretty sure a couple of the Pirelli Drivers Cup events were won by 06 & 07 cups, so the 08 & 09's aren't that much faster. James Sofranos from GMG did a data lap for me with my 2005.5 car (same as the car your considering) at Willow Springs and he did a 1:23 first time ever driving the car on used slicks. That time was in line with a couple of 10 and 11 cars were running that weekend.
Regarding updates, BABY THE SKY IS THE LIMITS, fuel cell, triple adjustable shocks, mono *****, 50 IO upgrade to the dash, shock pod sensors, steering angle sensor etc, etc, etc.
But if it were me I would leave it totally stock.
Like I said in my earlier post, I am shocked this is available after this weekend, if I didn't have three cups, this car would be headed to Phoenix.
Please feel free to PM me if you would like some suggestions on some shops.
Old 01-03-2012 | 01:14 AM
ccamut
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, one more question, consider this car next year at this time with 30 hours undamaged. What will it sell for?

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-03-2012 | 08:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Maybe $75-$80 economy holding consistent but you never know till it comes time to sell.
Old 01-03-2012 | 09:31 AM
kmracing
2nd Gear

Default Please contact me - I would like to buy your car. Regards, Jeff 608-347-7438

Please contact me - I would like to buy your car. Jeff 608-347-7438

Originally Posted by awelch
Happy New Year Rennlister's. Via a multi part deal/trade I have inherited a brand new as delivered 2006 cup car (it has been advertised for a few months with a much higher price from the original owner). This car has not been started since it rolled off the plane in LAX. Some may think of this as a collector given its probably one of the only (if not the only) new one still out there. Others like myself (if I was going to keep it) would go race it. I will again be running ALMS with James @ GMG this year in my 2012 car so really don't need this car. It would be a great car for IMSA Gold, PCA GTC4, POC, Pirelli drivers cup, and now with SCCA allowing 997's it would fit well there. Happy to hook you up with GMG if you need support on the car as well, and James can vouch for this car.

The car does not have a spares package so its just the base car, 1 set of wheels and the tie downs. However, I have a few brand new spare splitters and my stock shocks I took off of my 07 cup that I'd be willing to throw in. I also see a post on the board for some cup wheels and other parts so that would really complete the package.

Located in Denver, and I can either have the fluids changed and muffler put on (as PMNA doesn't transport the cars fully assembled) or have it delivered as is. Get it now and run the pca 48 with us next month which I could also help coordinate if you want the car prepped and delivered there for you $105k! Email me at awelch @ emptyrain dot com

Old 01-03-2012 | 09:39 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kmracing
Please contact me - I would like to buy your car. Jeff 608-347-7438
'Bout damn time somebody did!!!!

Have fun...
Old 01-03-2012 | 10:58 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ccamut
Thanks for the feedback, one more question, consider this car next year at this time with 30 hours undamaged. What will it sell for?

Appreciate the feedback.
I'm not going to predict a price but one thing that will weigh heavily on the value of a car like this 30 hours from now will be the gearbox. 2006 is still the 1st generation version of the sequential. The problem there is that it's now obsolete and service parts for them are not available. At 30 hours I can guarantee it will need a 2nd gear and probably a 3rd as well. That opens the can of worms because I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching 1st gen and 2nd gen parts in the same box. That puts you in a position where the 30 hour refresh on the gearbox becomes a full rebuild with 1st gear/mainshaft, 2nd, 3rd , 4th and all the supporting components like the 2nd gen rods and forks.. Figure a $25k bill to do it right, whereas a refresh on a 2010 Cup gearbox can be done for $10k. The silver lining is updating to currenty spec only has to be done once.
Old 01-03-2012 | 12:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
I'm not going to predict a price but one thing that will weigh heavily on the value of a car like this 30 hours from now will be the gearbox. 2006 is still the 1st generation version of the sequential. The problem there is that it's now obsolete and service parts for them are not available. At 30 hours I can guarantee it will need a 2nd gear and probably a 3rd as well. That opens the can of worms because I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching 1st gen and 2nd gen parts in the same box. That puts you in a position where the 30 hour refresh on the gearbox becomes a full rebuild with 1st gear/mainshaft, 2nd, 3rd , 4th and all the supporting components like the 2nd gen rods and forks.. Figure a $25k bill to do it right, whereas a refresh on a 2010 Cup gearbox can be done for $10k. The silver lining is updating to currenty spec only has to be done once.
What year did the second generation box come out? '08?
Old 01-03-2012 | 01:58 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not to worry, I have spare gears, etc to help with a potential rebuild down the line, plus I spoke to Copans as he has some parts from some of my older gearbox rebuilds to help with this as well.

And Matt, I am sure you could help out as well.

Jeff, I will call you back regarding the car......been in meetings this morning.

Thanks,

James
GMG

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Quick Reply: FS 2006 Cup - Brand New 0 Hours $105k