Notices

Canadian Import Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Canadian Import Questions

Anyone have any experience in importing a cup car into Canada from the US?
I was wondering what kind of Import fees, duties, paperwork might be required?
Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Dave,

Another one?

...The first step is admitting you have a problem...lol
Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Actually the twelve steps is starting to work, I might be sending one that way.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Talk to the guys at Bullet Racing in Vancouver. They can tell you what it takes and what it costs. It's not cheap.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, give Bullet a call, talk to Steve, or give me a ring. We are partners with them in racing. From what I understand, it is not the importing that is raising issues, it is the exporting from the US. A car, race car or otherwise, needs a title. Cupcars do not have titles, so do you can do the math and see where the issue may lay for you....

Steve has extensive experience in this, and I can forward some contact info to you if you send me a PM or email.

The car in our avatar is the latest 08 cupcar that Bullet imported, getting a shakedown at our track day a couple of months back.... This car was an absolute pain to get exported.....

Cheers
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If I wanted to take a car to mosport do I have to show a title? If the car doesn't have a title and will never be registered, isn't it just like a toaster? I don't need a title for a toaster...

Seems a little odd...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do race teams get there cars into canada for races at Mosport?

What if your car came for a visit to canada for a track day and then decided he liked it up north and just stayed :P ...............

hahah
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Cheyne
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are coming up to race it can come up on a bond, most of the time they will just let you through without question if you are coming up for a race. I imported mine last June, the law was changed July 1st. No more export without title. Has to do with lien's on title's ect. I never get a bother and i go back and forth with a couple cars once a month. FYi, i have a 2006 for sale here. Refreshed gearbox, 20 hour PMNA engine. Old Policastro car, looking for a 2010-2011
Old 09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Wow, thanks guys. Ill call Bullet on Tuesday.
So a dumb question, if I never got a title (as no one who buys a used cup) how do you give them a title?

Mo, I was thinking of the same thing, but it won't be me importing the car.
Funny thing is the car was originally sold to a european team, then exported to the US.

Last edited by Surfbum; 09-04-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Wow, thanks guys. Ill call Bullet on Tuesday.
So a dumb question, if I never got a title (as no one who buys a used cup) how do you give them a title?

Mo, I was thinking of the same thing, but it won't be me importing the car.
Funny thing is the car was originally sold to a european team, then exported to the US.
we were just up at mosport for the pca race. we did not have to show any title to temporarily export the car. there were a few forms we had to fill out in advance of heading ther.e i think itwas like a form 3255 or 4499 cant recall. basically says its the car of a US resident going abroad to be used abroad in a non-commercial manner. we had to stop on the US side to get it stamped, (its a US form)...then we stopped on the canadien side on the way out to have them stamp a typed up manifest.

then we had fun.
then coming back in, the US has a new E-manifest, which you have to electronically file in advanc eof returning. we used a 3rd party broker (e-manifest.com i think, something like that ) who filed it for us since we didnt want to bother with it. cost some 20bucks for her to do. had ot list the driver, any co-drivers, and rough description of the goods/ quantities,e tc.

went witihout a headache or hitch.
no title was needed. though, just to be sure, i sent a copy of the purchase agreement showing that the persion temp exporting was also the owner. just in case.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

There are two different topics being discussed here.

1) A car without title (cupcar) being exported from the US and imported to its new home in Canada.

2) Bringing a car without title (cupcar) from the US into Canada for a race or races, that will be returning to the US.

Case number 1 is now extremely difficult, and maybe impossible.....
Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, I am looking at Case #1.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Surfbum,

I sold my 2010 Cup to a team in Canada and they are taking the car right from Petite........I can ask them how they are going about the process.

James

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Bullet-Racing
Advanced

Surfbum,

We have imported a few Cup cars and things have changed quite a bit recently and it actually depends on what border crossing you are using.

Each State of export has different regulations.

Contact Jeff or myself and we can help you out.

Steve

steve@Bulletracing.ca
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought my no-title race car (GT3) up from the US last year and was told as a Canadian citizen had to import it into Canada so 6.1% duty PLUS 5% GST. They were very helpful at the border but couldn't find a way to bring the car in on a temporary basis so I had to import. I did not export from the US but used a form 4455 instead as I was taking the car back to the US eventually. This year I brought it up again on a 4455 and was told on the Can side that last year I didn't have to import it...but duty was paid already. I was well prepared when I took it back to the US with the EPA exemption letter and ALL documentation plus the 4455 but was told on the US side that I didn't need any of that...just sailed across in both directions. A couple of months earlier a friend with a 6cup was turned back at the US border because he didn't have the EPA letter....so the treatment at the border can be very inconsistent. Best to have every document pertaining to the car available at every crossing. Crossing state was Montana....
From what Steve is indicating above you might want to bring the car across on a form 4455 rather than exporting from the USA especially if you are ever going to go back for a race. The EPA letter is easy to get you just have to promise never to make it back into a street car...doh!

Quick Reply: Canadian Import Questions