Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

How do you down shift in a sequential?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 PM
INFMS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
I thought that the GT3R couldn't be raced in any North American series.

Third post after a 2 days history on Rennlist... sounds suspicious to me. Your post may be legitimate knowledge sharing, but could you disclose if you have any direct or indirect relationship with any shop, vendor, distributor of the Manthey design ? INFMS = "infamous Manthey seller" ?
If you really want to know, I am responsible for introducing the manthey blipper to the USA, I was the crew chief for the #1 manthey car from 2008-2010
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 PM
INFMS
Intermediate

paddle shifts are available and have been used all season in Europe, but they require a throttle blipper.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Any shop that can order parts from PMNA. For pricing see the attached bulletin from PMNA
I am having GMG put on the Porsche unit before my next outing in a couple weeks. Will keep you posted on how it goes. Looking forward to cheating... haha!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INFMS
paddle shifts are available and have been used all season in Europe, but they require a throttle blipper.
with the cars that utilize the electronic paddle shifters, is it then also an electronic blipper? id imagine it is.
the dang system knows when you put th elever forward, it could probably handle the blip with some basic computation that looks at current gear, speed, current RPM and calculates the near perfect RPM needed, figures the differential, sends a little signal to something (i guess thats the issue) and you get an electronic blip.

is that how the paddle systems are working?
you have any more details on those electronic paddle systems, how they operate, do they work well?

and welcome aboard! ive seen that manthey beast run quite a few times. awsome machine.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

If you really want to know, I am responsible for introducing the manthey blipper to the USA, I was the crew chief for the #1 manthey car from 2008-2010
I guess it is relevant in a public discussion on the merits of the Manthey blipper vs PMNA Thanks for the clarification.

Welcome here and I am sure we will all benefit from your great experience !
Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

INFMS, I assume the auto blipper for the paddle shift would be the PMNA version, or were you able to install the paddle shifter with the Manthey version?
I currently have the Manthey version in two of my cup cars and they work great. I always try to manually blip, but I use them as insurance.
I am currently building a Cup S, and would greatly like to discuss the paddle shift option.
PM me with your contact information if you would like to share some of your experiences in the conversion.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

what's the point of an auto-blipper if you still manually blip?

Do you guys think the 991 Cups will be paddled? I assume so based on the GT3R.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:39 PM
INFMS
Intermediate

The paddle shifts used is an electro/pneumatic system, the gear lever is still there, very much like what is used on rally cars, PMNA has nothing to do with the paddle shift system.
these can be fitted to all sequential box's
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

The paddle shifts used is an electro/pneumatic system, the gear lever is still there, very much like what is used on rally cars, PMNA has nothing to do with the paddle shift system.
The new paddle shift system announced for the 2012 GT3R is different ?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new paddle shift system announced for the 2012 GT3R is different ?
No gear lever in the 3R.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Laguna Dude, look at as wearing belts with suspenders.
If for some reason I did not blip the throttle, the auto blipper kicks in. The mathney system works by connecting a rod that is attached to the bottom of your shift lever, as you push the lever forward to downshift the rod pushes the throttle pedal at the same time. The simplicity of the system allows you to heel -toe normally, and it does not effect the throttle. But if you don't blip the throttle, it blips the throttle for you.
I like Brian Copans, but he gets enough of my money with normal maintenance, don't need to add any syncros to those bills.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

u have any links you ould share for vendors of the paddle systems? im not interested beyond just learning more abou tit.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Laguna Dude, look at as wearing belts with suspenders.
If for some reason I did not blip the throttle, the auto blipper kicks in. The mathney system works by connecting a rod that is attached to the bottom of your shift lever, as you push the lever forward to downshift the rod pushes the throttle pedal at the same time. The simplicity of the system allows you to heel -toe normally, and it does not effect the throttle. But if you don't blip the throttle, it blips the throttle for you.
I like Brian Copans, but he gets enough of my money with normal maintenance, don't need to add any syncros to those bills.
I know. When I first got my cup, a holding pin popped out of the tranny and I lost 3rd. $8K later, I was back up....but at least he put the '11 ratios in for me. I am going to try the PMNA system and not manual blip at all. For me, I have the throttle and steering/car control down very well (that's actually what I do best)... but braking is my weakness... and that is because of the manual blip... I can do it well. And I am running good times. But if I can be faster and it's legal and if in the future, manual blip will not be used, I might as well move to the full auto blip and start learning that now. James and I discussed this earlier in the year and I decided to wait in order to get the basics down vs. going with a blipper. I am ready to try it now.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM
INFMS
Intermediate

The PMNA does not exist anywhere else in the world, the rest of the world build there own motors/gearbox's etc, nobody in europe uses the PMNA blipper.
As for the paddle shift its been around for about 18 months in europe, if you would like one I can get them.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

The PMNA does not exist anywhere else in the world, the rest of the world build there own motors/gearbox's etc, nobody in europe uses the PMNA blipper.
As for the paddle shift its been around for about 18 months in europe, if you would like one I can get them.
I think it's a Porsche Motorsport blipper (vs. PMNA)... not 100% sure. But when I sell my car, it will most likely be in the USA. So I am only concerned about legality within the US racing series, like Patron, etc. Also, I don't see me racing outside USA any time soon either. And if Porsche says there system is the only option for Patron and it is still legal in other series, such as Driver's Cup and POC/PCA club racing, then all is good. And it seems like a better system is you purely want an auto-blip and not bother at all with manual blip.

I like the new paddles showcased on the GT3-R... fully electrice with no shifter on the floor. But the current one you describe seems like a great choice for all those with existing cup, etc. to be able to compete with the future cars.

Quick Reply: How do you down shift in a sequential?