Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

How many events can the GT3 Cup run in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
SSILVER88
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many events can the GT3 Cup run in?

I'm thinking about getting a GT3 Cup but I would like to know what events it could compete in around So Cal? I was also wondering if the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge still exists. The last thing I would like to know is how much on average it costs to run per a race weekend? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

POC= 9 race weekends per year, PCA= 1 race weekend in So Cal, Pirelli Cup= 2 race weekends in So Cal, NASA's GTS series= 8 race weekends per year in So Cal......

The IMSA/Patron GT3 Cup series exists but doesn't run in So Cal.

Weekend costs vary .....
Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by SSILVER88
I'm thinking about getting a GT3 Cup but I would like to know what events it could compete in around So Cal? I was also wondering if the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge still exists. The last thing I would like to know is how much on average it costs to run per a race weekend? Thanks in advance for the info.
just POC alone will keep you busy and wallet empty. seriously
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

You can also run in sCCA. 6 cup is very competitive in GT2, will win National races. 7 cup is a decent GT1 regional car but can't beat a good V8.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:25 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

The best car to buy and race (if you have the budget) with the most options, is a 2010 997 Cup. In CA, you can race in these series just about every weekend of the year:
-POC
-PCA
-PDC
-SCCA
And when you want to go Pro Racing, you can run the 2010 Cup in:
-World Challenge
-Grand Am
-ALMS GTC
-IMSA Challenge (Semi-Pro Only)
Obviously these different series require different prep but now that the 3.8 motor in the 2010-2011 Cup is the spec motor in all these classes, these cars are so versatile.

We support cars for everyone of of these series so if you are looking for some guidance and/or support, feel free to drop me an email at james@gmgracing.com

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 07-16-2011, 09:07 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by analogmike
You can also run in sCCA. 6 cup is very competitive in GT2, will win National races. 7 cup is a decent GT1 regional car but can't beat a good V8.
I tried to read the rules for SCCA, but frankly not smart enough to understand them. All the World Challenge spec cars being sold - switchcars, fleadh on the forum - would these still run in GT2 or the mods to suspension are illegal?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

To run in SCCA's GT2 class, the 996 Cup has to be in stock configuration. It's too bad SCCA doesn't allow the 997 Cup in GT2 with a weight penalty because that would be another great place for the 997 Cup.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

SCCA has a club racing class for the World Challenge or modified cars, it's Super Touring. Not a popular class but it's better than the unlimited classes.

SUPER TOURING

The newest category of SCCA racing, Super Touring features late-model production-based vehicles with a series of modifications to their drivelines and bodywork. The intent of the rules allows World Challenge cars to compete in Club Racing with minimal modifications as well as new cars to be built to the same spec as well. Forced induction may be added to some models and engine swaps are permitted. No model years older than 1990 will be permitted. The STO (World Challenge GT based) target performance is 450hp. The STU (World Challenge Touring Car based) target performance is 250 hp. The competitiveness of any given car is not guaranteed.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

As others have said, the old World Challenge cars aren't legal for the normal GT* SCCA classes. I was running my 996 WC car in STO w/ SCCA. There wasn't many STO cars in Nor Cal, but you still go out with all the GT cars so there's someone to race.. not sure about So Cal.

However, if you're primarily going to do regional club racing there will always be a class no matter what you have. And for regional races, unless you're in the 2 or 3 biggest classes, you're mostly going to be out there racing against people in other classes anyway.

I personally think the older WC cars make great regional club racers, but if you're planning to do the 'stock' based series' like Pirelli Cup or IMSA GT3 you'll need a factory stock Cup (which is why I went from the 996 WC to 997 Cup).

As for costs:
Weekend costs for the 996 WC were about half what they are for the 997 Cup (w/ track support - $5k versus $10k). A lot of that is tire cost... I was running used scrubs on the WC car that were almost free versus $2400/set for new slicks on the 997 Cup (2-3 new sets for serious weekend, 1 new set for regional/club). It seems like I'm going through rotors/pads much faster on the 997 Cup, but I'm also driving faster than when I ran the WC car... so that might be it.

I just passed the 100 hour mark on my 997 Cup engine, so it'll be coming out for a refresh soon ($25k i think from PMNA) as the logged crankcase pressure is much higher than when it had less hours. The WC engine refresh cost is about the same (from PMNA), but off the top of my head I want to say the interval is 50 hours (my WC car has about 15 hours on the motor).

Good luck with whatever you choose. You can't really go wrong with Porsche Cup's as track cars. There's so much support and knowledge about them out there....

-mike
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 AM
SSILVER88
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for all the info. Unfortunately I do not have the capitol to afford a race car at the moment as I am only working a summer job at the moment. Hopefully I will be able to afford one in the near future.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

SOON!...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How many events can the GT3 Cup run in?