Sponsored by:

200 Cup Car race

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 200 Cup Car race

For 2011 there are plans of a very large Cup Car race aiming at a 200 car grid.

It's not completly settled, but it would occur on the Nürburgring in the end of June with participants from all Carrera Cup series. Participants from all Carrera Cup series are expected and I believe from the U.S would qualify too.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

The guys from PMNA where talking about that this summer. They where mentioning trying to help organize a group from the US to make the trip. Hopefully this event is a go. Would be an awesome race.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 AM
Rassel
Drifting

I'm sure americas finest would do a good job. It's getting tiresome to hear from the Germans that the true "top tier" of Cup drivers are in the German Carrera Cup. Everything else is secondary, including Super Cup.

Though it is on their home turf, so it's going to be a tough battle.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Ha, I have heard the German Carrera cup series is basically Super Cup. There is a lot of tallent at the top of both series.

I really hope this race happens. Would be an incredible chance for some cup guys from the US to get on that track in their own cars. I wonder what the rules, classes would be. Hopefully it would be very open to allow different models of the cup car like Grand-am, World challenge ect..
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Sure is; they've got plenty of guest drivers showing up to see if they can measure. God knows what their ego would say if someone from another series would win..

Ah.. That I forgot... You're not running the same classes as we do. I have a feeling that it will be the different 997 Carrera Cup regulations. Lets hope for the best, lot of things not settled yet. I think some official news might be out by the end of the month.

The more the merrier!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

This will be demolition derby!! can't wait to see this! Egos abound...

Good for 997 parts sales and emtying the shelves and get ready for the next generation 991
Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 PM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard about this event during the uk carrera cup season.. Nothing head since ... Not on the btcc package so maybe a non champnrace with good price money ...!?????
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Rassel
Drifting

It will be ran right before the N24H race, so expect a couple of 100k in the audience..
Date is set: 25th of June 2011.
Length: 6 laps.
For those who haven't race the ring before, there is an opportunity for intro course with Sascha Maasen.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Here you go:

Attached is the official announcement of the Porsche Carrera World Cup that Nick Lester from
Porsche talked about at the GT3 banquet.

If any drivers and teams plan to go, please let me know!!!

Diane Swintal
Development Series Public Relations Coordinator
International Motor Sports Association
dswintal@imsaracing.net
mobile: 949.439.7871

www.imsachallenge.com

Dave Engelman Andy Schupack
Product Communications Manager PCNA Motorsport PR
770-290-3617 401-741-6980
Porsche Carrera World Cup
The world’s greatest Porsche race on the Nürburgring Nordschleife
Stuttgart/Atlanta – November 18, 2010 -- It will be one of the most spectacular sprint
races ever; at the newly-announced Porsche Carrera World Cup on 25 June, 2011, up to 200
Porsche 911 GT3 Cup racers will line up on the Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany
watched by more than 200,000 spectators. The world’s greatest Porsche race takes place
just prior to the start of the 39th ADAC 24 hour race and runs over a distance of six laps
(70.2 miles). The Porsche Carrera World Cup will highlight Porsche’s 18 brand trophy and
challenge series worldwide, including the Patron GT3 Challenge by Yokohama in North
America. This race will count as a competition round towards several other championships,
including the Porsche Carrera Cups in Germany, Scandinavia, France and Italy.
For this inaugural event, the field will be divided into two classes. The Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
with 3.6-liter engines from 2007 to 2009 model years (400 to 420 hp) and the 3.8-liter
versions of the 2010 and 2011 model years (450 hp). Each class will be scored separately.
All competitors must provide proof of their considerable track experience. For all
Nordschleife rookies, an intensive two-day training course will take place in the week leading
up to the event with former Porsche works driver Sascha Maassen (Germany) as the head
instructor.
“Since its market launch in 1998 we have built over 2,000 units of the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
car for competition in our 18 Porsche one-make championships around the world,” said
Porsche’s head of motorsport, Hartmut Kristen, who pointed out that both IMSA and Grand-
Am in the U.S. now include the car as an important part of their endurance racing series.
“With the Porsche Carrera World Cup on the northern loop of the Nürburgring, we aim to offer
yet another highlight to our brand trophy customers all over the globe. Racing in the
Nürburgring Long Distance Championship, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup never fails to underline
its excellent aptitude for the world’s longest and most difficult races. I’m sure that this race
will be an unforgettable experience for all pilots and spectators at the track.”
Over the last years, the success story of Porsche Motorsport has been closely tied to the
Nürburgring. From 2006 to 2009, the Porsche team, Manthey Racing, won the 24 hour race
on the Nordschleife four times in a row. In May this year, the innovative Porsche 911 GT3 R
Hybrid held the overall lead for more than eight hours at Germany’s most popular automobile
race. From the ten races on the VLN Nürburgring Long Distance Championship calendar this
year, a Porsche 911 won nine times.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Two HUNDRED GT3 cups going into turn one... I'd hate to be the 150th car.

Wish I could get my GTC4 car there, as they won't require hacking it up for a fuel cell like IMSA does. But I think it would be an expensive proposition.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Two HUNDRED GT3 cups going into turn one... I'd hate to be the 150th car.

Wish I could get my GTC4 car there, as they won't require hacking it up for a fuel cell like IMSA does. But I think it would be an expensive proposition.
seems like a the sort of thing a 997Cup owner would want to do prior to kicking the bucket. Very cool.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have an interest in this. Not sure it makes sense to send a car over. ANyone,any teams renting a ride from overseas for this event and practice days?
Thanks for any leads.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Rassel
Drifting

I think we'll be going there with at least two cars. Finding a car in general shouldn't be too hard and I'm sure most will have possibility to run an extra car. Though a Mk.II for a descent price might be a problem since the race counts for points in all the local series. Then I guess it depends on the deal if you're looking for pay-n-drive, got some sponsor package, your own engineer etc etc...

A early heads up for any team is probably a good thing. 200 Cup cars and another 200 24hr cars can create some issues with spaaaaaaaace.......

Why not take out two birds with one stone and get a 24hr ride also?

Don't forget to check if your license is valid or if you need to convert. (FIA national should be enough).
Old 11-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Jens Walther, the new president of PMNA, talked about this at the LA Auto show today. Among other comments was that there would be a split start, splitting the two 997 cup car variants into two different groups. As he said, with the length of that track, it's unlikely the fastest early 997 cup cars will catch the slowest later 997 cup cars in what will be a sprint race. Should be an interesting event held early in the same weekend of the annual 24hours of Nurburgring race. He also said that if any 997 cup owners in the USA are interested in particiapting, they should contact him directly ASAP
Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

2-day "Rookie" school ahead of time to learn the Nurburgring??

Surely ze Germans and anyone else who has done 20+ laps at the Nordschleife would have a big advantage over someone coming into it cold (which would be most North Americans I would guess).

Fun to experience, but I'd rather my first time at the Nurburgring to be in a Renault Clio as part of the first day of a 5day school!

Quick Reply: 200 Cup Car race