996 Cup modify

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
simonmurray01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Cup modify

Hi All,

I run a 2005 996 Cup in a race series in South Africa. The series fundamentally has time based classifications. I suspect that I am about to be upgraded a class so have a reasonable amount of latitude to modify the car as I will then run at the back of the new class.

I was wondering what peoples suggestions/thoughts are on improving the stock cup cars performance. So far I have:
- Grand Am wing (splitter to follow) from Crawford
- In the process of refreshing the motor with a Manthey 3.9l kit
- RSR suspension (not yet installed)- dampers, springs, blade sway bars, control arms and links)

Considering the Quaife sequential box. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,

Simon
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Modify the fenders and run more tire. Maybe 11's and 13's...
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you allowed to do weight modifications?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

RS/RSR sub frames, Convert brake system to dual master set-up to make the bias adjustable. Carbon wide body front fenders (grand-am), Carbon Hood, Carbon Roof, Carbon 3rd-brake light panel. RS/RSR headers to go with the 3.9l engine kit. RS/RSR intake with 6 throttle's.

A sequential box is definitely worth some time as long as it is full throttle upshifts. Probably worth .5 to .7 a lap depending on the track.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Out of curiosity, what are you doing for an ECU with the 3.9 kit? Porsche motorsports has a pretty good lock on programming the Bosch 3.1 ECU, at least here in the states.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
simonmurray01
Intermediate

Thanks guys, great ideas!

Originally Posted by Rassel
Are you allowed to do weight modifications?
yes, there are no restrictions on weight but didnt think there was much room to remove weight...

Originally Posted by coryf
RS/RSR sub frames, Convert brake system to dual master set-up to make the bias adjustable. Carbon wide body front fenders (grand-am), Carbon Hood, Carbon Roof, Carbon 3rd-brake light panel. RS/RSR headers to go with the 3.9l engine kit. RS/RSR intake with 6 throttle's.

A sequential box is definitely worth some time as long as it is full throttle upshifts. Probably worth .5 to .7 a lap depending on the track.
thanks!
will the converted brake system still leave the ABS functional ?
is there a supplier of Grand Am fenders for 996's ?
will look at RSR headers but it would (I think) require a re-map to get the best...

agreed on the sequential box, especially as a couple of our track are short with lots of gearshifts. Will have to check if the Quaife box allows full throttle upshifts (pretty sure it does).

Originally Posted by claykos
Out of curiosity, what are you doing for an ECU with the 3.9 kit? Porsche motorsports has a pretty good lock on programming the Bosch 3.1 ECU, at least here in the states.
Still using the stock ecu, Manthey did the remap.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simonmurray01

thanks!
will the converted brake system still leave the ABS functional ?
is there a supplier of Grand Am fenders for 996's ?
will look at RSR headers but it would (I think) require a re-map to get the best...

agreed on the sequential box, especially as a couple of our track are short with lots of gearshifts. Will have to check if the Quaife box allows full throttle upshifts (pretty sure it does).
The ABS can be kept when converting to dual masters. Just run the brake lines from the masters into the ABS module.

Gordon at autometrics had a set of the grand-am front fenders. Not sure if he still does but if not he know where to get them from. gordonf911@knology.net

Re-mapping for the headers would be ideal but I dont think it is totally required. The new style current RSR headers/exhaust would give the best gains but it is very expensive. The earlier RS style will still give a decent HP inprovement (around 10 wheel hp). It would also save weight over the stock 05 cup center muffler/converter. It just depends on if your tracks have a sound limit.

When checking on the Quaife sequential, also see what diff it is using. A Quaife (torsen) type diff is not good for 911's. A conventional GT3 diff would be better. (and ideally a late model GT3 cup/RSR diff with the latest forged housing, or if you really want to get crazy a Drexler diff)

Sounds like a fun project.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

(and ideally a late model GT3 cup/RSR diff with the latest forged housing, or if you really want to get crazy a Drexler diff)

Rob a bank and go Drexler!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
simonmurray01
Intermediate

The ABS can be kept when converting to dual masters. Just run the brake lines from the masters into the ABS module.

Gordon at autometrics had a set of the grand-am front fenders. Not sure if he still does but if not he know where to get them from. gordonf911@knology.net

When checking on the Quaife sequential, also see what diff it is using. A Quaife (torsen) type diff is not good for 911's. A conventional GT3 diff would be better. (and ideally a late model GT3 cup/RSR diff with the latest forged housing, or if you really want to get crazy a Drexler diff)

thanks for the help, will follow up!

The Quaife/Parr sequential uses the Porsche diff, but will definitely see about a Drexler

I assume that running wider rears will require rear fender modification ?
Would you think it is worth doing fronts only ?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simonmurray01
thanks for the help, will follow up!

The Quaife/Parr sequential uses the Porsche diff, but will definitely see about a Drexler

I assume that running wider rears will require rear fender modification ?
Would you think it is worth doing fronts only ?
If you want to go with wider rear quarters by putting on the RS rear flair the stock sheet metal and outer wheel tub would have to be modified. We have had some success using a heavy duty fender rolling tool to slightly flair the stock quarters to widen the rear track a little. If you are going the direction of the rs rear flairs, it probably would make more sense to go with the matching RS/RSR front bumper and fenders. But this would start a snowball effect and also require the front fender liners, different headlights and lenses ect... It would allmost make better sense at that point to just start with a RS or RSR assuming the rules allow it. The grand-am fenders would be for a slightly wider front track and matched with some modified stock rear fenders and stock size tires.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I have 3 sets of the gt3 r 996 wheels, 10's front and 11's rear. They are the monoblock DTM car style. Light also of course. They will work with the flared, wider fenders ala GA or 996 R,RS,RSR style. Also You can cut the rear inner fenders and push out Your stock fenders, then weld in/fill gap for a cleaner widetrack look. On the fronts You can use the GA fenders or just push out the stock fenders ans let the fender liners just droop and self clearance.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
simonmurray01
Intermediate

If you want to go with wider rear quarters by putting on the RS rear flair the stock sheet metal and outer wheel tub would have to be modified. We have had some success using a heavy duty fender rolling tool to slightly flair the stock quarters to widen the rear track a little. If you are going the direction of the rs rear flairs, it probably would make more sense to go with the matching RS/RSR front bumper and fenders. But this would start a snowball effect and also require the front fender liners, different headlights and lenses ect... It would allmost make better sense at that point to just start with a RS or RSR assuming the rules allow it. The grand-am fenders would be for a slightly wider front track and matched with some modified stock rear fenders and stock size tires.
thanks!

I want to avoid a "frankenstein" looking car so dont really want to modify external appearance too much. I also agree on the snowball effect that would see me starting out with a simple idea of running wider rubber needing to add all sorts of extra bits as unintended consequences.

So will probably save widening until I have done everything else and still need something extra.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:37 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

bumping this .. ironically I now own the car the OP was referring to in 2010

(Simon I hope we see you next week in your 2009 with paddles, abs and other goodies )

Just wondering what options there are for running more rubber up front and to what degree I can go?

Currently run 245 front & 300 rear 18s.

Anyone got bits and bobs required?

Thanks!

Matt
Old 11-01-2015, 01:23 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Bet you're glad he never put that quaife in your car.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:53 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

lol ... that I am ... we have 2 broken ones with minimal hours on them on the floor ... there are some simple bits in that box that are just not made for racing ... luckily we found another option eh Mat

Now I know you're a 996er ... spread some wisdom on front track widening please

Quick Reply: 996 Cup modify