Sponsored by:

Centerlock options

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centerlock options

Not sure where to post this really. I am looking for some centerlock options for a 2008 Cayman S. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

why?
all the guys with centerlock are trying to convert back to 5 lugs.
there is really no advantage to center lock unless you are racing, and has air jack on the car and loves to pay $$$ for special wheels.

however, if you insisit, you might be able to run centerlock if you run cup car hubs or uprights. the rear would be tricky.
or you can call up forgeline, they may have something that works.
basically u are looking at $6000/set of wheels + hubs (if you are lucky) + uprights (if you are not lucky)
btw, you also need a different torque wrench at about $400 and very long very heavy.
and with the high torque on the centerlock, you either need someone stepping on brakes while you untorque or you need wheel chock everywhere.

i just went through all that on my street RS. i would pay $10k to have 5 lugs back.
my two sets of BBS ran me way over $10k
Old 06-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
why?
all the guys with centerlock are trying to convert back to 5 lugs.
there is really no advantage to center lock unless you are racing, and has air jack on the car and loves to pay $$$ for special wheels.

however, if you insisit, you might be able to run centerlock if you run cup car hubs or uprights. the rear would be tricky.
or you can call up forgeline, they may have something that works.
basically u are looking at $6000/set of wheels + hubs (if you are lucky) + uprights (if you are not lucky)
btw, you also need a different torque wrench at about $400 and very long very heavy.
and with the high torque on the centerlock, you either need someone stepping on brakes while you untorque or you need wheel chock everywhere.

i just went through all that on my street RS. i would pay $10k to have 5 lugs back.
my two sets of BBS ran me way over $10k

Yikes. Gooood info. That is why I post here first to get these nuggets of wisdom. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

CL is sexy dont get me wrong.
but it's so rare (in the street car world) there are "issue".
say if you get a flat on the road... AAA will not know how to get your wheels off and you sure as hell wont find spare wheels! it's little things like that, that cause headaches.

now on a full on race car, it's great.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I still don't understand why Porsche went to center lugs on the new GT3 street cars, makes no sense to me and seems like a major PITA. Porsche prides itself on engineering but it's obvious the marketing guys made that decision. Hope you don't get a flat far from home, or you have your big *** torque wrench in the trunk when you do. Makes sense on a racecar, but that is a totally different application.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the bits from Porsche motorsport and its not that expensive. But as others have said the wheels are pricey. I think for less then 1k you can get everything but the wheels.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

If you are looking for an inexpensive set of Forgeline wheels I have (2) sets sitting in storage 1 set is polished and the other is gun metal grey. I would sell them cheap. I have 3 sets of BBS and run only those on my car.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amondc
You can buy the bits from Porsche motorsport and its not that expensive. But as others have said the wheels are pricey. I think for less then 1k you can get everything but the wheels.
r u sure?
i chked with porsche motorsport, it's not a straight swap if you start with a car with 5 lugs. you need the hubs too. that's not $1000. i wish it is that would be nice for my race car.

also, for the current RS and GT3 street cars. the CL system also differ from cup cars. street cars have no safety pin (different safety system) and the nut is alum so i can't work it with my impact wrench. if it's only $1000, i as well as 90% of the gen 2 GT3 drivers will change at the blink of an eye. as of right now the CL aftermket wheels are all over 4k, so 6k isn't that much more per set of wheels at that point.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Amondc, it's definitly more than $1000.- just in parts, let alone labor. It's pretty easy to converted any 996/7 to CUP centerlocks, but WHY. CUP centerlocks are not like RSR centerlocks. 997.2 version emulates RSR version, but is it functional? I'd rather deal with 5 lugs all day, scratching them, bitching about the $15.- cost, instead of being all nervous about putting this perfectly made tool on this flawless center lock wheel nut scratching it, but only if I have a torque wrech big enough, haha. Just jokeing, centerlocks belong on the track.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

bernie,

you said 997/2RS center lock (CL) emulates RSR race cars.

1. is the nut on RSR, alum or steel? (it's alum on street car and i cant put impact gun on it, sux)
2. do have have to run the "dust cap" on the street RS? (that little plastic cap wiht "RS" on it is fragile and takes effort and time to get it off. if you bent it, it's $40 each and it's very easy to bent)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know anything about the new street car stuff - but there were 2 versions of the centerlock parts for 996s. The cups and GT3R/RS/RSR cars up until 2004 all had the same style, which is what is still used on the 997 cup. It has the relatively small wheel nut and uses the locking pin. These parts are not too expensive. To convert from 5 lug you would need a hub, and the "centerlock bolt" (what they call the stub axle). The later 2004/2005 RSRs had a setup with a large diameter hollow stub axle with "automatic" spring loaded locking pins that would engage once the nut was put on. These use a larger diameter wheel nut. The big hollow RSR stuff is much more pricey than the "regular" cup style....
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 RSR Hubs

Photos from a 2005 RSR; from what I recall, i think the 997 RSRs had centerlocks nuts that are the same as used on the CGT.
Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

fred,

you have everything under the sun.
can you have kent at premier look at your street RS and see if it can run cup car or rsr center locks? and what needs to be changed? hub only or uprights as well.

THEN, U should changed them on your car so i 'll know if they work ;-)
Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
fred,

you have everything under the sun.
can you have kent at premier look at your street RS and see if it can run cup car or rsr center locks? and what needs to be changed? hub only or uprights as well.

THEN, U should changed them on your car so i 'll know if they work ;-)

Easier and "cheaper" just to run and own a cup than trying to make a street car like a cup!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Mooty,
just did the brakes on a 10 GT3, from what I rememberCUP stuff should work, will need new bearings and hubs for sure.
Bernie

Quick Reply: Centerlock options