Winterizing 996 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winterizing 996 Cup

Gang,

I may leave my car in the trailer for the winter. What do I need to do to assure it isnt damaged by the cold here in the Northeast? Anything special with the antifreeze, etc?

This may be a stupid question, but the one not asked is the dumbest!

JL
Old 10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fresh oil/filter change
Completely fill the fuel tank (minimize trapped air), preferably with non ethanol fuel (VP fuel) if possible
Battery on maintainer (or remove and store inside)
Overinflate tires (50psi) and/or tire cradles/flat stoppers

I don't know what the freeze point is for the factory fill antifreeze, it's simple enough to check a sample. With a road going 'wet' Porsche, storage in an enclosed trailer would not be an issue.

When you go to start it in the spring, kill the fuel pump or ignition, crank the starter until full oil pressure is established, wait 15-30 seconds, repeat again, then enable the fuel pump or ignition (depending what fuse/kill method you used) and start car normally.
(I wouldn't start the car unless you could drive it....at least 15 minutes of driving....simply starting it and shutting it off invites moisture build up.)
Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

If at all possible, try to store the car in a heated space.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd add some fuel conditioner as they do with boats.
Change the wheels/slicks as they wont' be worth a hoot after winter temps or just ues a burnt out set.

Absolutely put in new antifreeze. Don't trust what anyone says is in there, I've seen what freezing can do to a cup with just water....
Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have found a great place to store trailer and car for the winter... Tampa fl.. in doors for about $80 per month and then you get to come down and visit it Jan at PBOC Winterfest, 48 Hour at Sebring in February, another PBOC race in March at Birmingham and if schedules are right you can do another Sebring with CHIN and then head north stopping at Road Atlanta for the Club Race in April.. this will be our 5th year... and you don't have to worry about anti-freeze..leaving next week for the trip south with a weekend stop at VIR
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2000gt3cup
We have found a great place to store trailer and car for the winter... Tampa fl.. in doors for about $80 per month and then you get to come down and visit it Jan at PBOC Winterfest, 48 Hour at Sebring in February, another PBOC race in March at Birmingham and if schedules are right you can do another Sebring with CHIN and then head north stopping at Road Atlanta for the Club Race in April.. this will be our 5th year... and you don't have to worry about anti-freeze..leaving next week for the trip south with a weekend stop at VIR
Wow, thats a great set up and an awesome deal!

I think I'm gonna try hard to find someone in my town with a garage!

JL
Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2000gt3cup
Now that's a great idea!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

if your trailor hasnt the proper ventalation it will cause moisture to build up and attack any metal surfaces prone to rust....... the trailor temperature is affected by the cold air and combination of warm sun heating the panels.

your wheel studs will be the first sign of rust.

i wouldnt reccommend using a trailor as storage.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, the last place you would want to store a cup car is in a trailer, it will end up costing your more to fix issues than to pay for storage. Find a storage unit, friends garage, maybe even ask your service provider if they will store it for you (peanuts compared to repairs). Let it go to sleep with relatively fresh fluids, full tank of racegas and old tires, trickle your battery. Change all fluids and filters before your first use and have a full check done (nut&bolt, susp. check, hoses, etc.). Go and have fun, repeat. (Hopefully without spending alot of money)
Bernie

Quick Reply: Winterizing 996 Cup