Sponsored by:

VIR

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR

Going to VIR next week for the PCA race and it'll be my first time there. I've been watching a few videos and there seems to be one high speed turn with a lot of downhill compression into it that looks tricky. Is it 7 or 8? From some of the Youtube vids posted, that seems to be a place where a lot of crashes start. In a Cup, it kinda looks like over the hill, keep the wheel straight, land the car and make a quick left turn adjustment. That right?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're talking about the esses. That section has a pretty good flow to it and will NOT be one of your more challenging sections. The section from the oak tree to the start-finish is the most daunting in my opinion. Sure the esses are a bit scary (more so than the Glen imo) but the section I'm talking about is much tougher.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I think you're talking about the esses. That section has a pretty good flow to it and will NOT be one of your more challenging sections. The section from the oak tree to the start-finish is the most daunting in my opinion. Sure the esses are a bit scary (more so than the Glen imo) but the section I'm talking about is much tougher.
OK. The vids I've seen (Cory Friedman and Mike Piera) make that big straightaway seem, well straigthtforward! Flat out all the way past that tree, over the hump till you get to the countdown numbers on braking...I'd guess that a lot of cars wimp out cuz they can't see on the other side of the hump past the tree?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The tree is a relatively slow corner with a tight exit (and don't put a wheel off there or you'll be buying some suspension parts) but the launch is key to the speed on the long straight. After 3-4 laps you'll get the next braking zone down and it's all about the first right hander after the left hander. The right hander is off camber down hill into a fast left hander into a faster right hander that is key to the front straight. Love the place. The last two right handers before the front straight are awesome corners.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.virclub.com/images/storie...rse_simple.jpg

Here's a track map as I'm not sure exactly which turn you are talking about in the first post.

Quick hits.

Turn 3 (Nascar) -- People generally go a lot slower through here than they can.

Turn 5a-6-- Turn in at 5a is key as turn 6 pinches back in on you. If you're late you can hit the curbs and if you're car isn't settled (and it often isn't there) you can be spinning into the tires quickly. This turn has bitten a lot of Porsches, especially in the wet.

The esses- Fun, rhythmic. There's a rise in the second turn that depending on the car you really want the car pointed straight on because it can get nice and light as you crest it.

Turn 10 (\South Bend) -- At the top of the esses and you're carrying some pretty good speed. The exit is a downhill portion and blind at turn in. This is a turn that separates the men from the boys. This is the most common place for people to have issues, often from turning in early. Turn in early, and you'll drop a wheel at track out. If you do, drive straight off. It'll be bumpy as hell but better than hooking it to the inside tires.

Oak Tree is pretty straight as Peter says, it's a big straight so exit speed there is king.

14 is a non issue but 14a is the turn that I find myself working on a lot. It feels slow because it's at the end of the backstraight, and it's pretty slippery.

17/17a. Some of the most fun turns on the course. Downhill, fast and a compression mid-corner of 17 that is a blast to drive the car through. Common for people new to the course to pinch the exit onto the front straight. Lots of runoff there though.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

The best thing to do here is drive very slow and cautious! - That way I can stay ahead of you

Seriously, you will have it figured out after a few sessions.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Ha! Me, drive slow and cautious?? OK, just this time!

Quick Reply: VIR