Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

WTB: Used Speed GT or Similar Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts
Default WTB: Used Speed GT or Similar Rear Wing

I'm looking for a large (~70"+) rear wing to put on my 993 bodied GT car. Would also consider a standard cup car wing if the price is right.

I don't need the uprights and I don't really care what the mount width is.

Please email me at claykos AT gmail DOT com if you have one available.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI- GT racing sells a couple of wings w/ 70" span, approx 12" chord, fiberglass versions are around $500
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cory M
FYI- GT racing sells a couple of wings w/ 70" span, approx 12" chord, fiberglass versions are around $500
Thanks.

I have seen these wings on their site. For FG it is ~$800 and CF is $1300.

Does anyone have experience with these?

They are advertised as the same airfoil on the predator UAV - but this is definitely not the case as the predator uses a proprietary airfoil designed by Mark Drella which is not in the public domain. Unless they have a super inside source no way they are using the same one! I found a picture of the profile and it looks like a Liebeck type but it also looks like it's going to have some massive flow separation at about 30% chord.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, prices must have gone way up. I bought one of their 60" standard wings a few years back in FG for around $500, it looked good for the price but I wouldn't have paid $800 for it. Not a great finish on it and questionable mounting provisions. I ended up returning it because my club limits the chord to 9.75". The GT "predator" wing is interesting. I showed it to a few of the aerodynamicists at my work and they all had concerns about flow separation on the suction side (bottom face). Personally I think a more traditional TransAM Liebeck or Selig type profile could be better, but I'm no expert on the subject.

If you don't mind the smallish 9.75" chord Mirage International sells a nice carbon fiber wing in 60 and 70 inch spans. Bimmerworld makes a wing with a longer chord, not sure about their mounting options. Another BMW shop, Evosport, was selling their own wing too. Hoerr Racing Products was selling a couple of TransAM style wings, in aluminum and composite. For more $$ Crawford and Pennon are other options.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cory M
Wow, prices must have gone way up. I bought one of their 60" standard wings a few years back in FG for around $500, it looked good for the price but I wouldn't have paid $800 for it. Not a great finish on it and questionable mounting provisions. I ended up returning it because my club limits the chord to 9.75". The GT "predator" wing is interesting. I showed it to a few of the aerodynamicists at my work and they all had concerns about flow separation on the suction side (bottom face). Personally I think a more traditional TransAM Liebeck or Selig type profile could be better, but I'm no expert on the subject.

If you don't mind the smallish 9.75" chord Mirage International sells a nice carbon fiber wing in 60 and 70 inch spans. Bimmerworld makes a wing with a longer chord, not sure about their mounting options. Another BMW shop, Evosport, was selling their own wing too. Hoerr Racing Products was selling a couple of TransAM style wings, in aluminum and composite. For more $$ Crawford and Pennon are other options.
Those were my concern exactly (I do fluid mechanics) about the "Predator" wing...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: WTB: Used Speed GT or Similar Rear Wing