Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

996 OR 997???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

My '08 997 clutch was getting thin after only about three races so we changed it. If you use a pit cart to move the car around it will last a lot longer, and NEVER use the clutch to put the car on a trailer.

The 996 clutch would last a long time until you missed a shift and then it would break.

I hope my '08 tranny will last a long time but it sure grinds a lot in downshifts and even in upshifts if you forget to shift it deliberately hard, it's just the opposite of the 915 tranny.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC the 996 Cup Clutch was designed to brake to save the rest.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The life of a cup motor life has subject to lots of missinformation from it's introduction. Subject to guilt by association, many folks just lumped them in with the higher horsepower R's, RS's, and RSR motors. I know of 2 later cup motors that went 200 hours (1 still running), and several currently running close to 130 hours. The only catastrophic failures I've ever heard of in my 3 years of ownership have been due to driver error, ie: missed downshifts. Change the oil after every weekend, and keep the revs off the limiter and they'll run a long time.

As for trannys, eventually they will wear out but again, the numbers bantered around are not reality based. Clutches and pressure plates will go sooner than the other parts especially if you use your clutch getting in/out of the trailer and around the garage/paddock. Mine made it about 60 hours before imploding....

The real expense of cup ownership is in the tires. Michelin's work best by far but they'ye become more and more expensive, about $2k for a set of blues these days.

Now the Spec Boxster....
so why the doom and gloom from the early rebuilders? is that just so they can have "the faster spec car" ? or is it PMNA just overdoing their mystique?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
so why the doom and gloom from the early rebuilders? is that just so they can have "the faster spec car" ? or is it PMNA just overdoing their mystique?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you're talking about people who did rebuild early they were probably just following P-Motorsports advise. Of course the fact that P-Motorsports was the only shop in town for refreshing motors had absolutely nothing to do with their recommendations. Hell they still won't sell 6-cup motor parts here in the states. Rebuilders still go to Germany to get their parts. My 03' motor was rebuilt by EPE in Mass. just before I bought it. As I approach 85 hours I still have 3-6 % max on leakdown. I have a 0-hour spare 04' motor waiting in the garage, but it looks like I may not need it for another year or so....

The motors, whether rebuilt by Porsche or a privately have always seem equal to me until I raced at Las Vegas this past May with PCA. There was a 02' Cup there sold by FL several years ago that was noticably faster than any 6 or 7 cup I've ever raced against. It sounded awesome and we all noticed it. The owner said it was stock, rebuilt by FL after their last race with the car back in 03' or 04'. Regardless I beat him, but not down the straights....
Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rassel
IIRC the 996 Cup Clutch was designed to brake to save the rest.
Which is why my wrench talked me out of a Tilton setup when I blew mine last year. It's cheap insurance for your motor as the OEM presure plate/clutch will explode around 9000+- whereas the Tilton or RSR's will hold together over 10k and that would cost you a motor. Additionally the factory parts (4tab) are less than half of the Titon's costs....

Here's my OEM PP/Clutch after it blew. The metal in the housing is what was left of my PP. The disc and the housing were OK, it just looks chipped....
Old 08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which is why my wrench talked me out of a Tilton setup when I blew mine last year. It's cheap insurance for your motor as the OEM presure plate/clutch will explode around 9000+- whereas the Tilton or RSR's will hold together over 10k and that would cost you a motor. Additionally the factory parts (4tab) are less than half of the Titon's costs....

Here's my OEM PP/Clutch after it blew. The metal in the housing is what was left of my PP. The disc and the housing were OK, it just looks chipped....
Gorgeous
Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
My '08 997 clutch was getting thin after only about three races so we changed it. If you use a pit cart to move the car around it will last a lot longer, and NEVER use the clutch to put the car on a trailer.

The 996 clutch would last a long time until you missed a shift and then it would break.

I hope my '08 tranny will last a long time but it sure grinds a lot in downshifts and even in upshifts if you forget to shift it deliberately hard, it's just the opposite of the 915 tranny.
I have replaced my 997 cup clutch, but only because PMNA issued a bulliten on issues releted to my cars clutch. It is in the trailer as a spare (has about 12 hours on it). After my last event I had the clutch checked as it seemed like it was getting thin. But it measured well within spec.

JCM
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John

The tilton set up is the nuts. My brother reved our 04 car to 9714 on the first time at the track and blew the clutch. We put the tilton in at the track ( 4 hrs pull motor and trans and put back in) and have never had any problems at all. We are pretty easy on the car though shifting at 7-7500 most of the time and have had zero problems. Our car has probably 80-100 hrs on it and not a hint of any issues and we have done nothing except pads, tires and rotors to it.

Chris
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, Thank you everyone for their input.
It looks like I have a deal finalized on a 997 Cup pending an ECU reading and leakdown results.
Now I hope I can drive it!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:20 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Well, Thank you everyone for their input.
It looks like I have a deal finalized on a 997 Cup pending an ECU reading and leakdown results.
Now I hope I can drive it!!!!
If you happen to get a cylinder or 2 that have higher leakdown numbers listen to hear if it's coming out the tail pipes. That means it just some carbon or debris stuck in the valve seats. Run it awhile and test that or those cylinders again. You could also tap on the valve stems. I've seen this on multiple cup motors....
Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

If you happen to get a cylinder or 2 that have higher leakdown numbers listen to hear if it's coming out the tail pipes. That means it just some carbon or debris stuck in the valve seats. Run it awhile and test that or those cylinders again. You could also tap on the valve stems. I've seen this on multiple cup motors....
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Best to do that after You buy it for less $...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,
How about 2 for the price of 1 ????http://www.racecarmagazine.com/ForSa...LENGE-FOR-SALE If interested give me a call. Ive been talking to the owner for a while and Ive got a lot more info on the cars. I also worked a really great deal just cant do it on my own.

Tim
410-599-0079
Old 09-02-2008, 12:49 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a long discussion with Jeff Stone of Kellymoss about the cars this weekend and he recommended the 997 cup over the 996 for several reasons. First and foremost, he discussed how the 997 really is a race car, not a street car converted to a race car (explained all the differences). He spoke about the advantages of the trans and how the cost of running the two are very close. The biggest thing that led me to believe a 997 is a better buy at this point in time is the fact that porsche has stopped making tubs for the 996. So in the event that you have a severe accident, it seems like the 996 cup would be a writeoff. That in itself makes me feel like buying a 997 cup might be a better bet if you are going to be racing the car for several seasons. But I suppose like some others have said before, its best to buy the newest car you can afford!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

edit (coworker being funny)

sorry

Last edited by Antonov; 09-21-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 996 OR 997???