Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Heads up on LSD wear.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heads up on LSD wear.....

FYI..... I was getting lots of wheel spin exiting corners at Cal Speedway about 6 weeks ago. Other 6-cups were quicker than me out of the corner although I was as fast or faster up on the banking. It was quite frustrating running a second behind the pack and my best times from a year ago.

I've been told the old torque wrench test with one wheel secured was not valid with a cup so we pulled the diff. My wrench pointed out the grooves in the metal plates between the friction discs which were worn from the discs rubbing againt them. The grooves were indictitive of the wear on the discs. There was lots of play between the discs indicating they were shot.

So we ordered a new clutch pack from P-Motorsports and installed it before I went to Las Vegas. Wow, I hadn't realized how much I was missing coming out of the corners. I was stunned how different the car felt not only on acceleration, but also braking into the corners. I was 2 seconds a lap faster than I was there last year and led the 5 cups running. The diff had deteriorated slowly over the past year or so and apparently I was clueless. I only know I wasn't as competitive as I used to be and was thinking shocks, springs, setup, labotomy, etc.

So.... my 03' cup has 19,000 km on it and the diff probably started heading south around 16km or so. I would suggest taking it out and bench testing it if you have over 12km on it or so. It's a reasonably cheap bang for the buck repair....

Quick Reply: Heads up on LSD wear.....