Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

When Lower Control Arms Go Bad.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default When Lower Control Arms Go Bad.....

Wish I had a pic of the broken part, but I tossed it as far as I could into the surrounding desert Saturday evening. We has just started the "fun race" when the shaft protruding from the ball joint sheared at the end of the straightaway as I jumped on the brakes at 130 MPH +-. This was the left front wheel which moved backwards and tore up the fender and rocker panel. I was already on the brakes so I added the clutch and hung on for the ride. Steering inputs were fruitless but remarkably the car veered to the right away from the walls and slowed to a stop in the desert infield. To add insult to injury, the flatbed driver who picked the car up forgot to tie it down in the rear. When he stopped in the pits the car went flying forward and destroyed the front bumper cover but luckily not my new radiators.

Kent Moore, the owner of Premier Motorcar Service and formally Flying Lizards chief mechanic, had the parts in his rig and graciously offered to do the repairs overnight so I could race in the morning. They replaced the control arm and toe link, patched up the body work with red duct tape to match, and I arrived at 7AM to find my Cup ready to rock-n-roll. I took one quick warm up session to test my nerves and off we went racing. The car handled perfectly and I was in 2nd. place leading the 5- 996 cups in the race when I was black flagged for passing under a Yellow. It never happened as witnessed by my video, but I did win the class (3rd overall) in the second sprint race.

If you're cup is several years old it's probably a good idea to replace them along with the toe links every few years. I got lucky, my next race is at Cal Speedway in 2 weeks and that could have been a real disaster....
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JR

Had you recently had some front end work done? I have seen where the nut gets over torqued which causes it to sheer off? Just a thought.

Chris
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amondc
JR

Had you recently had some front end work done? I have seen where the nut gets over torqued which causes it to sheer off? Just a thought.

Chris
Chris that's the first thing Kent Moore asked me. The answer is no, those parts are all original 03' parts. Kent said he'd never seen one fail there before, usuallly they develope cracks at the outer edges....
FWIW, the right side was replaced 2 years ago when I got whacked so we left that side alone.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is odd JR. I will add it to the list of things to double check. Havent noticed anything on the 04 car or the 00 car but will start watching more closely.

Thanks for the heads up sorry you had to find out this way though.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JR,
Was this on your boxster? I broke two of them on my old 996 race car. Both times I got lucky and only had body damage. That's why I proposed allowing cup car control arms on stock 996s.
Jim
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

If your arms are more than 2-3 seasons old REPLACE them..!! They have a very short service life. Most of the time when it sheers at the ball joint, it's been over TQ'd. Also we just did a $40K repair to an 03 cup that had the small 8mm bolt break that holds the two halves together. They are almost always over TQ'd. they only require like 18ft/lbs. Everyone puts the 13mm wrench on it and cranks away. So, replace the inners as well as the outers every other season, and throw the old ones away....Don't sell em on EBAY..!!!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JimB
JR,
Was this on your boxster? I broke two of them on my old 996 race car. Both times I got lucky and only had body damage. That's why I proposed allowing cup car control arms on stock 996s.
Jim
The cup car. We allow front, street GT3 lower control arms on the Spec Boxsters...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The cup car. We allow front, street GT3 lower control arms on the Spec Boxsters...
I guess I might have figured that out from the fact that it was posted on the cup car board? Yet another reason not to log on to Rennlist while drinking!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
RedlineRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JR,

You might ask the tech who had replaced the lower control arm
if he had carefully checked the taper on the steering knuckle. If
the taper is out of round from a past impact, this can cause a ball
joint failure. You don't need to have this problem to repeat itself.

I will tell the guys to pass you on the right!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
We has just started the "fun race" when the shaft protruding from the ball joint sheared at the end of the straightaway as I jumped on the brakes at 130 MPH +-. This was the left front wheel which moved backwards and tore up the fender and rocker panel. I was already on the brakes so I added the clutch and hung on for the ride. Steering inputs were fruitless but remarkably the car veered to the right away from the walls and slowed to a stop in the desert infield.
FWIW, you're not the only one who this happened too...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I joined this club yesterday too
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I joined this club yesterday too
Bummer!

Did it get ugly?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Luckily no, it happened in a braking zone so I was running fairly straight. Slid to a stop in a straight line with the tire up inside the fender. 2 laps from the end of an enduro
Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Luckily no, it happened in a braking zone so I was running fairly straight. Slid to a stop in a straight line with the tire up inside the fender. 2 laps from the end of an enduro
Broken material is expensive. DNF is just pure disappointing and makes one angry...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rassel
Broken material is expensive. DNF is just pure disappointing and makes one angry...
Exactly. I can't complain to much. It was still a fun weekend!

Quick Reply: When Lower Control Arms Go Bad.....