Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

991 Cup Axles - To clamp or not to Clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 07:45 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts
Default 991 Cup Axles - To clamp or not to Clamp?

My 991.1 Cup axles are slinging a bit of grease out of the axle boot closest to the tranny, on both sides. I noticed there is no clamp on that side, but there is a clamp on the wheel side.
Should an effort be made to clamp off the boot or is it intentionally unclamped?
My Huracan GT3 was configured the same way, and suffered the same grease-slinging problem.
IF it should be clamped, of course the Oetiker style would be optimal, but I'm wondering if a wormgear would work or if it'd risk slicing open the boot due to the higher profile?
If not, then how do you guys go about ensuring there is adequate grease in the boot?
Highlighted in blue in the attached pic.

Old 06-28-2024, 10:44 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

I noticed my new blue axles were the same. I figured it was to allow dissipation of heat?
Old 06-29-2024, 12:01 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My left side inner was slinging a bit of grease, I just clamped it with a zip tie. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (06-29-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 02:36 PM
lawlence
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
My 991.1 Cup axles are slinging a bit of grease out of the axle boot closest to the tranny, on both sides. I noticed there is no clamp on that side, but there is a clamp on the wheel side.
Should an effort be made to clamp off the boot or is it intentionally unclamped?
My Huracan GT3 was configured the same way, and suffered the same grease-slinging problem.
IF it should be clamped, of course the Oetiker style would be optimal, but I'm wondering if a wormgear would work or if it'd risk slicing open the boot due to the higher profile?
If not, then how do you guys go about ensuring there is adequate grease in the boot?
Highlighted in blue in the attached pic.

Zip tie as mentioned above with a small metal breather straw/tube. Slip the tube in where the end of the zip tie meets the head since you'll have a bit less clamping there. It doesn't need a ton of clamping power to keep the grease in.

Cut zip tie and squirt some moly in there every now and then using a grease fitting and low profile tube.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 991 Cup Axles - To clamp or not to Clamp?