Advice/Help regarding 2002 Porsche Cup car & Modas software

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 06:05 PM
adrian928se
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Advice/Help regarding 2002 Porsche Cup car & Modas software

Hi All

I've recently acquired a 2002 Porsche GT3 Cup car, which has barely been used since its last race in 2004. I've managed to get the car running and for the first 10 seconds that is runs it sounds great, fires on all cylinders, but then dies. Will start immediately only to repeat the same. I'm therefore looking to interrogate the MS3.1 ECU's now to see if any faults/spurious readings, but am struggling to get anything out. I have a new MSA II box, which I use on a different car for the Bosch M5 ABS system, so know that it works (and has the latest drivers). I've downloaded the ModasSport software from Bosch Motorsport and also have an earlier version on my laptop (Modas v 3.0.12 I think). However not getting any sucessful comms. A few questions:

1. What Modas software am I best to use?
2. How is it easiest to check if the ECU's have power to the diagnostic connector/comms?
3. Any specifics on whether ignition is on or off on the car when I connect?

Any pointers appreciated. Also as regards the car cutting out after 5-10 seconds, any common faults on these cars that I should look at that would cause those symptoms?. Are thereany components I can check separately until I get into the fault diagnostics? I assume when it starts it is ignoring readings on sensors like the lambda for the first 5 secs or so , then switches from the start up to live readings, which may be inaccurate?
Thanks in advance
Adrian

Old 04-07-2024, 06:35 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I have seen this car being offered. My impression was that it needs some tender love and care and was also parked outside for a while.
Maybe i am mistaken. Suggest to check coilovers, spark plugs, battery and cut-off switch. The 2 lambda sensor are also prone to fail over time and can relative cheap to renew.
Maybe a long shot but check if the ECU is correctly and firmly connected to the chassis. They tend to get loose and the shaking can create issues. I have had this.

Last edited by Q&A; 04-07-2024 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:48 PM
adrian928se
Instructor

Originally Posted by Q&A
Congrats on your purchase. I have seen this car being offered. My impression was that it needs some tender love and care and was also parked outside for a while.
Maybe i am mistaken. Suggest to check coilovers, spark plugs, battery and cut-off switch.
Maybe a long shot but check if the ECU is correctly and firmly connected to the chassis. They tend to get loose and the shaking can create issues. I have had this.
thanks, definitely needs some TLC. Have changed the plugs, oil etc. it is very original and still has the engine seals intact from the 2003 carrera cup, although the previous owner decided to start turning it to a road car, chance mirrors are wrong and it has a handbrake fitted, all of which I’ll return to original.

ECU’s are firmly bolted on, although I am curious why is also has an OBD 2 port as well as the Modas port. May plug that into a reader

Adrian
Old 04-07-2024, 07:00 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

You need Modas software, not Modassport.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:11 PM
adrian928se
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghhally
You need Modas software, not Modassport.
Thanks, that may be part of the problem as I was trying with Modas Sport. I have loaded on the laptop "Modas v3.12.002" to try, or should I use a different /earlier version like v2?

Thanks
Adrian
Old 04-08-2024, 09:16 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
Maybe i am mistaken. Suggest to check coilovers, spark plugs, battery and cut-off switch. The 2 lambda sensor are also prone to fail over time and can relative cheap to renew.
Out of interest, what are the symptoms of the O2 sensors failing?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:34 AM
adrian928se
Instructor

Default Modas Update

So a bit of an update on the Modas Diagnostics:

I’ve tried both Modas 3.1 and also from the Porsche Motorsport site v2. Both can up with errors, but looks like the ecu is capable of communicating . Screen shots below. Any help/insight appreciated :

Also I was able to read from the OBD2 port using Autel, but only the ABS ECU

Old 04-08-2024, 11:15 AM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrian928se
So a bit of an update on the Modas Diagnostics:

I’ve tried both Modas 3.1 and also from the Porsche Motorsport site v2. Both can up with errors, but looks like the ecu is capable of communicating . Screen shots below. Any help/insight appreciated :

Also I was able to read from the OBD2 port using Autel, but only the ABS ECU

You need to load a config file first, then connect
Old 04-08-2024, 03:57 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

You need to load the 310P3101Q config file into the program before connecting.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:59 PM
adrian928se
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghhally
You need to load the 310P3101Q config file into the program before connecting.
thanks, have tried that, but if I try to load to Modas V3 I get the error message “ Can’t convert old cfv file to MODAS V3.0 cfv file!”

so I thought not a problem, I’ll load to MODAS V2.45, and file loads ok, however the version I have won’t connect to true MSA II box. It seems to have some different connection protocol and has a button at the bottom “KWP2K” with a red dot and has the error message:

”error initialising Centronics interface” flash up.

if I could solve whatever this is or convert a file to V3.0 I’d be in business, but alas no luck so far!

any help appreciated
thanks
Old 04-08-2024, 08:20 PM
adrian928se
Instructor

Default UPDATE - Success sort of...

So after trying many things I finally managed to get the MODAS system online and connected to the 996 GT3 2002 Cup car using Modas V3, MSA Box II and a later config file (2008 997 Cup) which i fooled it to load. Not perfect as it is looking for some things on the Cup car that dont exist, but allowed me to see live values and interrogate old errors and clear them (after taking pics). However I have to say, nothing seems particularly out of line or obvious active errors. As car only runs briefly, will be challenging to see whats going on. Probably need to go and find what all these abbreviations in MODAS stand for and what the expected readings should be. The only error seemed to be "Error Class - 4" which is said on the various screens, together with "Error still active - FALSE"
However on the Engine temp screen it says afterwards "Cycle Flag - TRUE", where as on the Fuel Pump relay power stage is says "Cycle Flag - FALSE"

Any interpreters out there?

Regards
Adrian
Old 04-09-2024, 04:44 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrian928se
So after trying many things I finally managed to get the MODAS system online and connected to the 996 GT3 2002 Cup car using Modas V3, MSA Box II and a later config file (2008 997 Cup) which i fooled it to load. Not perfect as it is looking for some things on the Cup car that dont exist, but allowed me to see live values and interrogate old errors and clear them (after taking pics). However I have to say, nothing seems particularly out of line or obvious active errors. As car only runs briefly, will be challenging to see whats going on. Probably need to go and find what all these abbreviations in MODAS stand for and what the expected readings should be. The only error seemed to be "Error Class - 4" which is said on the various screens, together with "Error still active - FALSE"
However on the Engine temp screen it says afterwards "Cycle Flag - TRUE", where as on the Fuel Pump relay power stage is says "Cycle Flag - FALSE"

Any interpreters out there?

Regards
Adrian
Best file is for a 2005 996
Old 04-11-2024, 10:08 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I've had similar cutting out / stalling with my cup also an 02 . What I found was that the fuel pump relay was not making very good contact with the wiring loom / back plate . There may be a thread on this forum about it . The relay board can be accessed by removal of a trim piece in the front luggage compartment. Where you need to go will be self evident . Not used my car for quite a while so memory of all this is vague . Also there should be a proper 2003 cup page for modas and the 2004 one should also work . What I suspect you find is modas will report power supply errors which is kind of what a dodgy relay connection is I suppose.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:26 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search under this forum for modas fault code 47 for my symptoms.
Also obd port is as you've found for abs / brakes only . Everything else is modas and 19 pin connector .

Last edited by Laurence Gibbs; 04-11-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:13 PM
Racecarsforyou
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The 47 power supply code relates to the way the battery kill switch is used and if it gets used with the key on etc etc.. its a non event and doesnt really effect anything and almost all 996's get this routinely

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
Hi I've had similar cutting out / stalling with my cup also an 02 . What I found was that the fuel pump relay was not making very good contact with the wiring loom / back plate . There may be a thread on this forum about it . The relay board can be accessed by removal of a trim piece in the front luggage compartment. Where you need to go will be self evident . Not used my car for quite a while so memory of all this is vague . Also there should be a proper 2003 cup page for modas and the 2004 one should also work . What I suspect you find is modas will report power supply errors which is kind of what a dodgy relay connection is I suppose.

watch our latest reel on Instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/racecarsforyou

like & follow our Facebook page:
http://www.racecarsforyou.com

Quick Reply: Advice/Help regarding 2002 Porsche Cup car & Modas software