Sponsored by:

Proud New Owner (997.2 Cup Car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 06:46 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
thanks! Can’t wait! Next weekend with NASA!
I’m sure you’ll have a great time, just make sure the tires are fully warmed up before you start leaning on them!

Is it paddle shift?
Old 06-17-2023, 10:57 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
I’m sure you’ll have a great time, just make sure the tires are fully warmed up before you start leaning on them!

Is it paddle shift?
Will do. I had the car at homestead in January. Weather was cold but when the tires warmed up, that made a huge difference. Using Hankooks. No paddle shift. No ABS. But it does have a Porsche Motorsport throttle blipper cable.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:05 AM
trap125
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks great! What sizes of Hankooks are you running?
Old 06-18-2023, 09:17 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Will do. I had the car at homestead in January. Weather was cold but when the tires warmed up, that made a huge difference. Using Hankooks. No paddle shift. No ABS. But it does have a Porsche Motorsport throttle blipper cable.
Sounds good! I’m sure you have heard the advice about shifting these transmissions but in case you haven’t, make sure you pull and push the stick firmly and with a purpose! They do NOT like being used gently
Old 06-18-2023, 12:53 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds good! I’m sure you have heard the advice about shifting these transmissions but in case you haven’t, make sure you pull and push the stick firmly and with a purpose! They do NOT like being used gently
Ditto
Same set up
The following users liked this post:
awrryan (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:41 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trap125
Car looks great! What sizes of Hankooks are you running?
Thanks! 250/640 Front. 300/680 Rear.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:43 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Yes, sir! THanks! Shift deliberately, hand off shifter until it's time to shift and shift deliberately. lol. It didn't go into gear a few times at homestead, but it was definitely me not downshifting firmly enough. Upshifts were smooth. Car and shifting is smoother when driven hard, I noticed! I was also surprised about how compliant the car is. Car felt almost "soft" compared to what I was expecting with OEM suspension, but so firm, planted and way more capable than me.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:07 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 348 Posts

I’m still learning my 6 Cup, after only a handful of sessions at Sebring in between some mechanical issues being sorted out. It’s hard to put into words how different in a good way it is driving a factory built race car vs. a modified street car. One thing that impressed me immediately was how fast I come up on others in hard braking zones like into 7 & 10. I can’t see going back to tracking a modded street car. I can see maybe moving up to a 7 Cup. The ones in this thread are so sexy looking.
Coop (06-26-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 10:20 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I’m still learning my 6 Cup, after only a handful of sessions at Sebring in between some mechanical issues being sorted out. It’s hard to put into words how different in a good way it is driving a factory built race car vs. a modified street car. One thing that impressed me immediately was how fast I come up on others in hard braking zones like into 7 & 10. I can’t see going back to tracking a modded street car. I can see maybe moving up to a 7 Cup. The ones in this thread are so sexy looking.
Your analysis is spot on. I have a BMW e36 M3 gutted and caged track car and I love. so much fun to drive and balanced, but it does not feel anywhere near like a cup car. I also agree that the pictures of the other cup cars in this thread look so good. I have never driven a 996 Cup, but have driven a GT4 clubsport, 997 Cup, 991 Cup and a number of other modified (gutted and non-gutted, caged and non-caged) street cars. I don't think it's just psychological, but the factor Porsche race cars just feel put-together properly.

Hope to see you out there soon. Do you ever track with NASA? pic of your car please so I can recognize it!
Mark Dreyer (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 10:31 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 348 Posts

NASA was the first group I tracked with years ago, and since then I’ve only run with PCA, Chin, and PBOC. David Tuaty has my car now and once it’s sorted out he’s been encouraging me to run with his FARA group.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:44 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
NASA was the first group I tracked with years ago, and since then I’ve only run with PCA, Chin, and PBOC. David Tuaty has my car now and once it’s sorted out he’s been encouraging me to run with his FARA group.
I have a buddy that raced with FARA a couple or so time. He said it was really fun, racing and atmosphere. They seem to always have a good showing. May I ask why no more NASA?

Quick Reply: Proud New Owner (997.2 Cup Car)