Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

991.2 Oil Leak - help locating

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 09:31 PM
skremese
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 991.2 Oil Leak - help locating

so my 991.2 Cup developed a smallish oil leak at the track yesterday. I say small based on the fact that the % on the ICD didn't drop a huge amount (maybe about 10% over the course of the day) and I had a few drips in the paddock.

However, once I got the underbody apart I could tell there was quite a bit of oil but couldn't pin point where it's coming from. It's mostly on the passenger side and in front of the engine, seems to be around and below the tranny. I suppose it could be tranny fluid but seems more like engine oil. Pics attached. Any likely culprit in this area? Anywhere else I should look? I plan to run the engine and see if I can see any drips coming out but short of that I'm looking for advice. Thx.

​​​​​​​

Old 11-12-2022, 09:25 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

That looks like water+oil unfortunately.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:57 PM
skremese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
That looks like water+oil unfortunately.
I suspect you're right. A bit more information, I changed the oil about 3 weeks ago and had a test sent off to Blackstone labs that showed no coolant in it. So does that preclude ahead gasket leak?

Does that leave the oil cooler or transmission cooler as the potential failure point? Is there a way to determine which?
Old 11-13-2022, 11:26 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,164 Likes on 2,909 Posts

The location sounds like the oil tank, but that wouldn’t make sense for oil/coolant mix.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:22 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

Check the Gearbox oil/water heat exchanger… I’ve seen one fail before. Looked the same…
The following 2 users liked this post by Yannick-HST:
carbondan (11-13-2022), skremese (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 08:56 PM
skremese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
Check the Gearbox oil/water heat exchanger… I’ve seen one fail before. Looked the same…
I think you're right. Based on what I'm seeing and the fact that the oil analysis from Blackstone didn't show any coolant or water in the oil and that was only a month ago I think it has to be the gearbox. Also the consistency and smell is very different than engine oil.

​​​​​Regardless, the cooling system will need to be flushed once fixed. I assume this really needs to be done at a shop?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Leak - help locating