ADL Motec dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 03:35 AM
Daniel Angus
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ADL Motec dash

Hi

Does anyone have the old original motec dash thats works with the ADL1 which is in the 996 Cup car?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Daniel
Old 04-24-2022, 08:01 PM
FL Cup Car
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Motec Dash

Hello
I should have one. Of course you know that the ADL dashes never came originally in the 996 Cups.
Rodger
Old 04-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Daniel Angus
Track Day

Originally Posted by FL Cup Car
Hello
I should have one. Of course you know that the ADL dashes never came originally in the 996 Cups.
Rodger
A few in our NZ series have as I think they were ex supercup.

Thought as cars get older someone might have one. Figure better to use than be wasted on a shelf

Do you happen to have the cable etc too? What price are you thinking?

Regards,
Daniel
Old 04-25-2022, 07:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

The 996 super cup cars were equipped with the ADL “blind” logger and the MDD mini dash (first 2 pics below). This version of the ADL was later renamed to the EDL to avoid confusion. This setup requires a track side beacon for laptimes.

There is also the ADL/ADL2/ADL3 display loggers (last pic below). The ADL2 or newer can be equipped with GPS for easy laptimes.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:42 PM
Daniel Angus
Track Day

Originally Posted by 38D
The 996 super cup cars were equipped with the ADL “blind” logger and the MDD mini dash (first 2 pics below). This version of the ADL was later renamed to the EDL to avoid confusion. This setup requires a track side beacon for laptimes.

There is also the ADL/ADL2/ADL3 display loggers (last pic below). The ADL2 or newer can be equipped with GPS for easy laptimes.

I have the EDL one. Quite keen to upgrade and one of the members has including the harness etc.

Just counting to 10 as unsure how easy it will be to remove current EDL version and replace with ADL2.

My current setup has tire heat sensors on all 4 corners which is very handy but not end of the world if I cant utilize with ADL2.

Anyone had any experience upgrading to ADL2?

Old 04-27-2022, 07:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Daniel Angus
I have the EDL one. Quite keen to upgrade and one of the members has including the harness etc.

Just counting to 10 as unsure how easy it will be to remove current EDL version and replace with ADL2.

My current setup has tire heat sensors on all 4 corners which is very handy but not end of the world if I cant utilize with ADL2.

Anyone had any experience upgrading to ADL2?
The ADL/EDL and the ADL2 are pin compatible up thru pin 66. So you should be able to plug in an ADL2 and it in and it will boot up and the sensors should work just fine. But there are difference for a few of these high pins, specifically 68, 70, 77 an 78 - all these are around USB & telemetry communication. I believe these older systems used CAN to communicate and program the dash, so that should work fine too. But if you want GPS lap timing, you'd have to add those wires into the harness; that's not really that hard, just a bit fiddly and requires some special crimping tools and lots of patience.
The following users liked this post:
Williamsf1 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:31 PM
Williamsf1
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Band Wagon!

I’d like to buy an ADL also for a 996 ( Australia 🇦🇺 ) if anyone has one for sale please PM me with details and price.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:28 PM
James P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Williamsf1
I’d like to buy an ADL also for a 996 ( Australia 🇦🇺 ) if anyone has one for sale please PM me with details and price.
I have the one in the first photo above & in Australia... https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-996-cup.html

Old 04-28-2022, 09:08 PM
Williamsf1
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m after the ADL like the bottom picture with the larger curved LCD display and gps lap timing so ADL or SDL etc not the EDL if anyone has this
Old 05-06-2022, 12:31 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 124 Posts

We have an ADL for sale

Motec- USED (demonspeedmotorsports.com)

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 03-06-2023, 08:40 AM
Luc MONTEILLET
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for the following MoTeC parts (I have used them when involved in the Pescarolo Sport Le Mans team): ADL2 dashboard and E816 expansion box.

If someone would have this and would like to sell it, thanks for feedback !

Luc.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:43 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
The ADL/EDL and the ADL2 are pin compatible up thru pin 66. So you should be able to plug in an ADL2 and it in and it will boot up and the sensors should work just fine. But there are difference for a few of these high pins, specifically 68, 70, 77 an 78 - all these are around USB & telemetry communication. I believe these older systems used CAN to communicate and program the dash, so that should work fine too. But if you want GPS lap timing, you'd have to add those wires into the harness; that's not really that hard, just a bit fiddly and requires some special crimping tools and lots of patience.
I've got an ADL(1) in an early 997. Back light has failed on it, so looking at repairing or replacing.

Just confirm what I think I'm reading above - So I can plug an ADL2 dash into the existing ADL(1) wiring harness, and it will work and can still be connected and programmed with the CAN connector near the B-Pillar. But it won't have the GPS capability unless I add or replace the wiring harness with the later ADL2 setup (which has the USB Type B com port near the A-Pillar)?

Old 04-26-2023, 09:47 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Oddjob
I've got an ADL(1) in an early 997. Back light has failed on it, so looking at repairing or replacing.

Just confirm what I think I'm reading above - So I can plug an ADL2 dash into the existing ADL(1) wiring harness, and it will work and can still be connected and programmed with the CAN connector near the B-Pillar. But it won't have the GPS capability unless I add or replace the wiring harness with the later ADL2 setup (which has the USB Type B com port near the A-Pillar)?
yes I believe that is correct
The following users liked this post:
Oddjob (04-27-2023)

Quick Reply: ADL Motec dash