Joining the club

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 167 Likes on 122 Posts

Capital city makes a nice crash bar too. We were looking into selling their parts, but have not gotten there yet.

Sorry, no help on the Motec.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 11-07-2019, 07:37 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#&gid=1&pid=1

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars/830921-997-cup-front-crash-bar.html#&gid=1&pid=1

ToppRacing.com

made them also but was a single tube design from and rear, snugged right up to bumper covers front and rear ....

I'll keep looking for pics no luck so far...
Thx Glen, I'm going to keep the OEM crash bars and use tow strap to go through the bumpers

Originally Posted by Driftking
Welcome! Is it one of the Skylimit Cars? I’ll be at Spa november 13th with my 2005 996 Cup...Will you be there too?
Not with a car, but possibly as a spectator.

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Capital city makes a nice crash bar too. We were looking into selling their parts, but have not gotten there yet.

Sorry, no help on the Motec.

Thanks

Ed
Much appreciated Ed.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:29 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Default Shakedown time

Waiting is over! As covid-19 threw a sudden halt to an early outing at the beginning of the year, I finally managed to book a 2 day track day at Spa and Zolder.
After purchase the car was inspected, parts exchanged and basic alignment checks performed. We were ready
The trailer was loaded with tools, used but still good Michelin rain slicks and fresh Yoko sticker slicks.

On the 15th of July, it was a sunny day at Spa. After check-in and briefing, we unloaded the car, set the tyre pressure and of on the track.
Following the advice from fellow Rennlister, I took it slowly towards le Raidillon and towards Kemmel where I hit the first panic....at every upshift and acceleration the rear end felt like on ice and the car was all over the place.
I thought here goes the 2 days seat time...My brain started processing, I assured my self you've checked everything and the car is properly aligned...it can only be..the slicks. Once back at la Source, I felt the car was picking up grip and felt more composed.
By the second lap all was well and I picked up the pace...only to be confronted with the following challenge. Having lapped Spa many times with my 964, I rapidly needed to recalibrate my braking points. I was over braking and figuring out which gear to select before cornering.
I was driving the Cup as the 964 on semi-slicks with std gear ratios. Okay think and recalibrate, stick to a higher gear and try to carry as much speed as possible through the corners. I kept on doing this all day and was building confidence in the slicks and grip level they provided.
I found a new drug... slicks. Just unreal how much grip and braking they provide. Tyre pressures and temperatures were checked frequently..The Yokos, hard compound, all-round were doing fine. I ended the day with a 2"45' lap time which was 8 sec quicker than the 964 and 5-6 sec. slower than a quick lap time in a 996 Cup.

On the 16th at Zolder, they reported 60% of rain. At arrival, we mounted the Michelin rain slicks, set the tyre pressure and hit the track. I don't like rain, but rain slicks...oh man...just unreal. I couldn't believe how much grip they generate and again I had to build up confidence.
I was driving a steady pace in order to get to know the car in the wet. Luckily it stopped raining and the track was drying up..time to get back on slicks. I knew the drill by now, warmed up the slicks and pretty soon I was really flying, eating away seconds.
We left Zolder with a final lap time of 1"45'...

I never could have imagined that the 2 days would be so successful and my pace so high. A cup car is amazing, the 996 just what I needed as a continuation of the 964.
The following 3 users liked this post by ghhally:
hollmatt (07-20-2020), MirageJHU (07-22-2020), PorscheAddict (07-21-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 08:43 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Congratulations Geert, the car looks amazing. Sounds like you are truly hooked!! Where did you find those red tow straps? I’m looking for replacements for mine.

Look forward to seeing more posts like this.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:33 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Congratulations Geert, the car looks amazing. Sounds like you are truly hooked!! Where did you find those red tow straps? I’m looking for replacements for mine.

Look forward to seeing more posts like this.
The red tow straps are from OMP.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:19 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. I went from 964 to Cup and had similar experience. Don't think I've recalibrated yet lol.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:18 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks awesome !! Great Job !!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:11 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice story and love your enthusiasm. Impressive that you were able to improve your laptime by 1 minute.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:58 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
Looks awesome !! Great Job !!
Thx for the tips ahead of the event Brant!

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
Great write up. I went from 964 to Cup and had similar experience. Don't think I've recalibrated yet lol.
Still love the 964, scheduled for an RSR treatment.

Originally Posted by jlanka
Nice story and love your enthusiasm. Impressive that you were able to improve your lap time by 1 minute.
I'm very passionate and love prepping the cars before they hit the track. When they do well and the driver has full confidence, the joy is ample.
The difference in lap time between Spa and Zolder was 1 minute, not an improvement on either track on its own. The improvement compared to the 964 is 7 to 8 sec.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:24 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

During the 2 days at Spa and Zolder, I witnessed ackward behaviours.

In tight corners, as below picture, the rear end of the car started to bounce.Any explination, or is this just the slicks gripping / ungripping through the corner?

I had misshifts duing downshifting into third. Genreally when the rear end was underload and not heading straight.
Now have planned to install the bushing kit from Function First.

The car has Sachs 2-way Sp3 shocks. How do you check /adjust the pressure? What tools do you need?
What are the recommended pressure settings?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:25 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ghhally
I'm very passionate and love prepping the cars before they hit the track. When they do well and the driver has full confidence, the joy is ample.
The difference in lap time between Spa and Zolder was 1 minute, not an improvement on either track on its own. The improvement compared to the 964 is 7 to 8 sec.
Oh LOL I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

Once you go Cup on track, you're spoiled to go back to any other car. They just don't measure up.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:44 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ghhally
During the 2 days at Spa and Zolder, I witnessed ackward behaviours.

In tight corners, as below picture, the rear end of the car started to bounce.Any explination, or is this just the slicks gripping / ungripping through the corner?

I had misshifts duing downshifting into third. Genreally when the rear end was underload and not heading straight.
Now have planned to install the bushing kit from Function First.

The car has Sachs 2-way Sp3 shocks. How do you check /adjust the pressure? What tools do you need?
What are the recommended pressure settings?
Could the bouncing perhaps be due to too much bump setting? My car doesn’t behave that way through corners. I have many set up sheets from when my car was professionally raced. I’d be happy to share, sing out if you want them.

I have never played with the gas settings on mine but this tool below from longacre will allow you to do it. The pro setup sheets I have all say 4 bar on the front and 12 bar on the rear.
http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...Pressure-Gauge

and Demon Speed replacement valves that are longer than factory...I believe they allow easier access to the valve:
https://www.demonspeedmotorsports.co...p-996-S-SV.htm

I’d be curious to hear what sort of camber/toe you are running Geert. From what I’ve seen/heard, they tend to run more camber in Europe compared to the US. Australia seems to be more aligned with Europe in this regard.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:00 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiller
Could the bouncing perhaps be due to too much bump setting? My car doesn’t behave that way through corners. I have many set up sheets from when my car was professionally raced. I’d be happy to share, sing out if you want them.

I have never played with the gas settings on mine but this tool below from longacre will allow you to do it. The pro setup sheets I have all say 4 bar on the front and 12 bar on the rear.
http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...Pressure-Gauge

and Demon Speed replacement valves that are longer than factory...I believe they allow easier access to the valve:
https://www.demonspeedmotorsports.co...p-996-S-SV.htm

I’d be curious to hear what sort of camber/toe you are running Geert. From what I’ve seen/heard, they tend to run more camber in Europe compared to the US. Australia seems to be more aligned with Europe in this regard.
Thx Simon!

A copy of some set up sheets would be great. Send them to my e-mailadres

4°50' in the front with 0° total toe - 250/650/18
4°20' in the back with 38' toe in - 280/680/18
Running Yokohama A80 Hard in front and back

Did you manage to repair the front air jack? I did already 2 with great success.

Last edited by ghhally; 07-23-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Joining the club