Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

996 Cup Rear Silencer Caught Fire - Repair? Replace? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 04:57 PM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Cup Rear Silencer Caught Fire - Repair? Replace? Help?

Hi everyone.

I had a small off-track excursion which fortunately didn't cause much damage to me or the car the other day. I ran out of talent, got away lightly etc etc.

BUT, the exhaust tips were touching the barrier when I came to rest and the car was touching it and a bit stuck so I couldn't drive out. Then the soft plastic barrier caught fire (!) and the marshalls were over in a flash with the powder fire extinguisher on the exhaust area to make sure that it didn't get worse.

I was of course relieved that I and the car were OK bar a bit of a bruised ego and some heat/fire paint damage at the rear. The rear muffler, however, appears to be blocked from the fire or extinguisher (or both). I've taken it off and it sounds as if there are small fragments of something rattling around in it.

My question is this: It's not a cheap Porsche part (there's a used one for $5k on eBay!) and I want to stay original with the car. Can anyone tell me what might have happened to it, and whether repairing these is a thing that can be done? Given the cost of a new one, I want to explore keeping it before I get out the credit card and brace myself!

Thanks everyone for any advice, commiseration etc.

Joseph AKA More Cowbell

Last edited by More Cowbell; 03-28-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:32 AM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Bump
Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 AM
AHRacing
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a replica that i had made using the original Cat converters after a major accident. I could do you one of these for 2500usd plus freight. You would need to seend me you old one to harvest the cats.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:27 AM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Thanks AHRacing. That's very tempting. I will consider that if I can't effect a repair myself over here. I'm trying to understand more about what may have gone wrong inside before I take next steps.

Originally Posted by AHRacing

This is a replica that i had made using the original Cat converters after a major accident. I could do you one of these for 2500usd plus freight. You would need to seend me you old one to harvest the cats.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 AM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Ed at demonspeed
Old 04-01-2019, 07:31 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

thats beautiful! Does it sound any different to the original? Curious to know if you could do one without the cats?
Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 AM
AHRacing
Intermediate

I have one for my car that does not have cars. It is loud, but under the 95db limit. If you send me your email I will send a picture. I would need to price it, but it would be alot cheaper than the repro pictured.

Andy
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 AM
AHRacing
Intermediate

The one pictured sounds 100% standard. It is a work of art.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:28 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

I have one for my car that does not have cars. It is loud, but under the 95db limit. If you send me your email I will send a picture. I would need to price it, but it would be alot cheaper than the repro pictured.

Andy
Mine has an aftermarket (I think its monty or starr) which sounds nice and deletes the cats...twin muffler set up with the centre exit maintained. Have seen it on a few Aus cups. I've been on the lookout for an OEM at a reasonable figure but nice to know there is a similar option if nothing comes up.

Quick Reply: 996 Cup Rear Silencer Caught Fire - Repair? Replace? Help?