Sponsored by:

Pirelli DH strange wear (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Pirelli DH strange wear (pic inside)

These were take offs that I’ve run on the rear of my 996 cup. Unsure of how many cycles but still a lot of tread depth remaining. The depth of the line is probably less than half a millimeter and runs about 1/3 the circumference of the tire in a single line and less than 1/4 in a double line. I am new to running slicks and have not seen this before. Can anyone tell me what this pattern is and what might have caused it?

Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Loading on and off your trailer maybe.

Stu
Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

look in the fender lining . See if something is sticking out in line with where these lines are ? You didn't say whether they are fronts or rears. If rears are you spinning your tires on ramps or something that may have something sticking up?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:10 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
Loading on and off your trailer maybe.

Stu
That is a possibility as I did trailer the car to the track with these on the rear (which I have since learnt is less than ideal)! I wasnt sure if it could have been early signs of the tread de-laminating? I have had that happen on r-comps before however the line was across the tire.

Originally Posted by Steve113
look in the fender lining . See if something is sticking out in line with where these lines are ? You didn't say whether they are fronts or rears. If rears are you spinning your tires on ramps or something that may have something sticking up?
Sorry these are rears, have had a look under the fender and there isn't anything I can see so perhaps it was from unloading the car. I winch the car on and off the trailer but possible that the tyre caught the edge of the ramp...
Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Do these lines connect end-to-end (i.e. form a full circle around the circumference of the tire)? If not, it's most likely just marks left by your loading ramps.

Otherwise I think you're looking at something scraping your tire. Pretty low probability that you'd have not just one but two pointed bits scraping at the same tire though.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:40 PM
JOS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hej, I have the same on my 996, its the inner welds in the fender welding that makes this. I was offroading a short time the last stint for the season up here in Sweden and I guess I got it from the bump when hitting the sand pit...its the tires hitting the top of the fender. Have a look and you will see. My question is if the ride height is too low in my case, or is this normal when using some travel way of suspension?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:50 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JOS
Hej, I have the same on my 996, its the inner welds in the fender welding that makes this. I was offroading a short time the last stint for the season up here in Sweden and I guess I got it from the bump when hitting the sand pit...its the tires hitting the top of the fender. Have a look and you will see. My question is if the ride height is too low in my case, or is this normal when using some travel way of suspension?
You mean the pinch weld? That did come to mind but I thought it was too high up in the fender to have caused it. I had a spin off track last time I drove the car and the grassy area was quite undulated so it’s very possible this is what caused it. Im not sure what my ride height is but the shop who sets it up look after many many cup cars so I trust them. I believe if it were something happening in normal on track driving the tyre would be a lot worse. And thinking about it more, the lines are perfectly spaced so I doubt it was from rolling over something on the trailer.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:54 PM
JOS
Intermediate

99% its the weld, I tell you I was giving it some thinking, but have seen it on both sets of Michelins now. My car is also set up as it should. I think "back in the days" if the cars was out of bounds they swapped on a new set of tires and gave no more thinking to it. We are just too cheap��
Old 11-21-2018, 05:03 PM
JOS
Intermediate

BTW, dont you have any rubber pick up??, my tyres look like a hedgehog!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JOS
99% its the weld, I tell you I was giving it some thinking, but have seen it on both sets of Michelins now. My car is also set up as it should. I think "back in the days" if the cars was out of bounds they swapped on a new set of tires and gave no more thinking to it. We are just too cheap��
Haha amen. Thanks for pointing out the issue too, I’m glad someone chimed in with the same problem.

Originally Posted by JOS
BTW, dont you have any rubber pick up??, my tyres look like a hedgehog!
I was running on a brand new track and the surface is like a billiard table so the tyres come up beautifully at the end of the day (if you stay on the black stuff). It’s called The Bend Motorsport Park. The long layout is 7.7km making it the 2nd longest permanent facility in the world behind only The Nordschleife. An amazing facility to say the least!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...otorsport_Park

Quick Reply: Pirelli DH strange wear (pic inside)