Sponsored by:

WTB: Stacker trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:09 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default WTB: Stacker trailer

I need something to haul the 996 Cup and the wife's e36. Any leads would be appreciated. Under $30k budget.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 10-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

I hope you have something big to pull it with
Old 10-10-2018, 03:20 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

For now, an F350.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

steve113 is on the money with the right question. i have one of 2017 ATC stackers, its 24feet. its a great trailer. the new ones have the new tilt lifts which really helps loading cars that are low to the ground, etc.
very nice trailer.
that said, i typically pull it behind the motorhome. its rated for 40k, that trailer is limited at 20k so all good there. my ram 3500 theoretically could pull it, and ive used it to trailer the cars to the shop locally, or when the trailer is empty. but i would not be comfortable using it to pull the cars a few hours to the track. its not the weight necessarily since that 3500 i think has like a 25k, 26k number. its a dually.
its the weight of the truck, the trailer is , loaded, twice or maybe 3 x the weight of the truck so its not like pulling a 7k trailer and you say "i couldnt even feel it back there" its equite the opposite.
also, the trailer is so tall it gets smacked around in the wind where the motorcoach shields it.
look, its do-able, but its not comfortable, and you can not go cruising at 65+mph on the highways, etc.
i think some look to like the long featherlites or atc's that can be 36, 40, 48, 53 feet long. low to the ground, out of the wind, can carry two cars,....but really long.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight. One of the trailers I'm looking at is a 24' ATC stacker which is about 6k empty, I think. With the cars and associated crap we take to the track I'm guessing a total weight of 13k. The F350 has pulled my friends enormous 5th wheel travel trailer for years without issue, and it was stupid tall and much heavier.

The long Featherlights are great but would create a storage problem for me. They are also a bitch to maneuver, for me anyway. There are some TPD stackers that aren't as tall as they ramp the second car at an angle rather than having a lift. This would keep the CG lower and there would be less side area by 2' x trailer length.

Ultimately it would be nice to have something like a TopKick but for now it will likely just be the 1 ton. I'm just going to be doing pulls from Davis to Thunderhill and Sears Point most of the time.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rebrewer
Thanks for the insight. One of the trailers I'm looking at is a 24' ATC stacker which is about 6k empty, I think. With the cars and associated crap we take to the track I'm guessing a total weight of 13k. The F350 has pulled my friends enormous 5th wheel travel trailer for years without issue, and it was stupid tall and much heavier.

The long Featherlights are great but would create a storage problem for me. They are also a bitch to maneuver, for me anyway. There are some TPD stackers that aren't as tall as they ramp the second car at an angle rather than having a lift. This would keep the CG lower and there would be less side area by 2' x trailer length.

Ultimately it would be nice to have something like a TopKick but for now it will likely just be the 1 ton. I'm just going to be doing pulls from Davis to Thunderhill and Sears Point most of the time.
agreed, those long atc and feather lites are brutal in storing and maneuvering. I had a very nice 40 foot fifth wheel which is why I bought that dually. but it couldn't handle the stacker. the fifth wheel puts like 25% of the weigh over the truck axles .
ayway, I would suggest taking the trailer for a drive. this topic is something, if you google sites/forums about hauling, that comes up often. again, if I was going an hour to the track, 2 hours max, and can stay 45, 50mph, its just fine. but you head out on a 4, 5, 8 hour haul its the weight of the thing, with wind sheer force yanking and taking control of the backend of your truck. the 5th wheel sits up and over your axles, this 24 foot thing weight 13,14,15k pounds is 6 feet behind the truck some 12 14 feet behind the axled with a pendulum in between. like I said, been there done that, I just wouldn't want to do it on anything more than a short slow excursion.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Ideally I'd love to have a gooseneck or 5th wheel. The overall length is shorter, the same length trailer is easier to handle and as you point out there is more weight on the truck. Most of the shorter stackers I've found have been standard pull behind, but I have all fall and winter to find something.

I'm looking at 1-2 hour pulls most of the time but you know how that goes. I'm going to take your advice and do a test drive on at least one stacker.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Yeh SPG is the right guy to listen to. He has towed with everything at one time or another . The perfect condition stuff is easy . It when you get hit in storm on the road or heavy cross winds . With a F350 non dully be very careful of cross winds . I have seen stackers move over a lane or 1/2 a lane and there is nothing the driver could do. They are great just get the right set up.

Oh and PS : never stand under the rear door . They are very heavy and if you have a door with a single cable it can snap . I tried slowing one down at the Glen after it snap to save a buddy under it and it ripped my ear almost off like 30+ stitches and knocked me back 10 feet. I was lucky to be alive (he got out)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:43 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

" I have seen stackers move over a lane or 1/2 a lane and there is nothing the driver could do."
" t ripped my ear almost off like 30+ stitches..."

Oh yeah, this is exactly what I want.

Good advice guys, thanks.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:18 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I wouldn't pull a 2-car trailer without a dually and certainly not a stacker. Be careful.

I hear you about storage but a 40-44' gooseneck is a pussycat to tow and maneuver once you have a bit of time with it.

Quick Reply: WTB: Stacker trailer