Sponsored by:

997.1 Cup Low Fuel Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Thales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Cup Low Fuel Pressure Question

Low fuel pressure light went off with 21 gallons in the tank. Data shows a 1.8 second dip below 3.5 bar in high speed S turn (started in transition section), then 7 second dip starting in same S turn the following lap. Zero or partial throttle. The second longer duration pressure drop tripped the light and I ended the session after the next turn. Data shows 3.6 bar or more for last turn and entire trip to paddock. Data also shows 3.6 bar or more for entire previous 30 min session.

Start by replacing filters and pump or possible loose connection? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Between driving and instructing I apparently missed a fill up. Chalking this up to low fuel.

Last edited by Thales; 08-06-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

21 gallons off is a big miss....
Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Thales
Instructor

21 is essentially a typo, sorry. Second weekend with the car, first time diving into the MoTeC data. My apologies. At the event I thought I had 6 and had 1.

Going forward, my plan is to add known quantities of fuel and subtract change in Fuel Used. Is there a better method outside of weighing the car?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pump out the tank after every session.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:07 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

In my case, when the car comes out of the trailer, I already know that I have at most 2 gallons in the tank - because the car was last driven on the final lap of a race at a previous event (assuming my fuel calculations were correct). I add 3 gallons and assume I have 5 at the start of the first session. Knowing how much fuel I use per lap at each track, I then just add the right amount of fuel after every session based on how many laps I did. The only time I pump out dry is before each qualy, at which time I add 2 or 3 gallons depending on the track. I then pump out right after to measure exactly how much fuel I use per lap. Then fill accordingly for the race up next. Knowing exactly how much I use per lap helps me to be pretty accurate on my fuel estimates for the practice sessions at any given track.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Jerome104
Instructor

Had same issue at Mosport this weekend with a full tank (we pump out every time car comes off), ran the car on reserve pump. The pumps will eventually fail and should be replaced by newer models according to pro team mechanic at track.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Thales
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeGT
In my case, when the car comes out of the trailer, I already know that I have at most 2 gallons in the tank - because the car was last driven on the final lap of a race at a previous event (assuming my fuel calculations were correct). I add 3 gallons and assume I have 5 at the start of the first session. Knowing how much fuel I use per lap at each track, I then just add the right amount of fuel after every session based on how many laps I did. The only time I pump out dry is before each qualy, at which time I add 2 or 3 gallons depending on the track. I then pump out right after to measure exactly how much fuel I use per lap. Then fill accordingly for the race up next. Knowing exactly how much I use per lap helps me to be pretty accurate on my fuel estimates for the practice sessions at any given track.
Got it, thank you. Do you know the reserve volume? I have the stock tank not aftermarket fuel cell. I have never used the reserve.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Thales
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jerome104
Had same issue at Mosport this weekend with a full tank (we pump out every time car comes off), ran the car on reserve pump. The pumps will eventually fail and should be replaced by newer models according to pro team mechanic at track.
Great to know. Any idea of the hours on your pumps that were replaced?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thales
Great to know. Any idea of the hours on your pumps that were replaced?
Same as you. I am having them replaced as we speak. I guess they were checked when new fuel cell was installed 8 years ago I believe (didnt own the car then though)
Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to have one of my pumps replaced this year. The pump hadn’t failed but was found out of spec during a pre race inspection.

The culpritt was a combination of leaving fuel in the tank and the original foam isn’t compatible with some of the additives in todays fuel and will decompose and clog the pick ups. In my case, they replaced the foam and pump with new and everything works as advertised.

The take away I got was if you have a 997 with the original foam in the tank, replace it with the new and improved version.

The car (and old fuel pump), had 120 hrs on the clock.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Thales
Instructor

Originally Posted by dogger15
I had to have one of my pumps replaced this year. The pump hadn’t failed but was found out of spec during a pre race inspection.

The culpritt was a combination of leaving fuel in the tank and the original foam isn’t compatible with some of the additives in todays fuel and will decompose and clog the pick ups. In my case, they replaced the foam and pump with new and everything works as advertised.

The take away I got was if you have a 997 with the original foam in the tank, replace it with the new and improved version.

The car (and old fuel pump), had 120 hrs on the clock.
Great to know, thank you.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:34 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Kevin,
I don't know the volume, but I don't try for an extra lap when I hit the reserve (which is really rare as I'm pretty aware of the fuel I use and need).
Considering this talk of the reserve pump failing, going forward, I'll hit the reserve switch first and make sure I hear it when pumping out.

Mike

Quick Reply: 997.1 Cup Low Fuel Pressure Question