Advice requested - spares package for my 996 Cup car for races/testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:52 PM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice requested - spares package for my 996 Cup car for races/testing

Hi all.

Spoiler: the post below involves me asking for rookie advice about my first proper testing and motorsport outings in my cup car this summer - not for forum members easily annoyed by naive beginner questions! Seriously, thanks anyone who answers with anything helpful...

Ok, here goes.

I’m doing a test at Silverstone next week and Le Mans Classic in July. The car is in good shape, but I will not be close to home and, especially for Le Mans, want to have a backup plan if the car suffers any common failures. I’ll obviously have consumables like oil and brake pads with me, but should I have spares of any other common parts ordered to take with me. Clearly there’s a balance between cost and the likelihood of something failing. I won’t bring an engine. But is there anything I should consider? Tyres seems sensible. Maybe coil packs? Not really sure if that’s even a thing to fail on a flat 6. Certainly on my M3 that might have been sensible.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Joseph

Last edited by More Cowbell; 04-30-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Edited to reflect further humility and gratitude for anyone who gives sensible free advice
Old 04-30-2018, 01:26 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

coils and plugs are smart. Obviously a spare belt and fluids including power steering. What you need is the "what if" parts. What if you go off track? Here you get into spoilers, attachments for spoilers, brake ducts, and then radiators. Have spare radiators has saved several weekends(and not just from offs). This also means water to refill, water wetter, tool for creating vacuum, and I can go on. What about axles? VERY VERY common to have axles issues (yes even if you looked at them right before you left shop). Happens all the time. Is this enough? I can continue with Battery, fuel pump, wheel bearings, etc which are all things that fail but can be fixed in quick order to keep you running.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:03 PM
More Cowbell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
coils and plugs are smart. Obviously a spare belt and fluids including power steering. What you need is the "what if" parts. What if you go off track? Here you get into spoilers, attachments for spoilers, brake ducts, and then radiators. Have spare radiators has saved several weekends(and not just from offs). This also means water to refill, water wetter, tool for creating vacuum, and I can go on. What about axles? VERY VERY common to have axles issues (yes even if you looked at them right before you left shop). Happens all the time. Is this enough? I can continue with Battery, fuel pump, wheel bearings, etc which are all things that fail but can be fixed in quick order to keep you running.
This is absolutely the type of thing I meant. Thank you! If there’s anything else that occurs to you please don’t hold back!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Have the little things as well-extra locking clips for the hood and engine cover. Maybe an extra nut or two for the wheels if one goes rolling off while your changing tires.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:00 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
spoken from the Cup car master himself and all true. bad thing is cars at this age you never know whats next, extra shocks? wheel bearings, axles a must. as Bob said our fuel pump almost cost us a National Championship, geese even master cylinder? don't have an off very expensive!!

awesome car but the most valuable thing to take with you is a "ViperBob" who knows how to fix everything on the car so cant over emphasize having great knowledgeable support, especially a guy that can fix anything with a zip tie and some duct tape!

Quick Reply: Advice requested - spares package for my 996 Cup car for races/testing