Sponsored by:

996 ieal spring stiffness calculation

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:20 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Mate !

You are right ! When you get to racing, your priorities will change. You will have to deal with the homologation of your seat, harness, gloves, socks… With buying new tyres every track week end. You will feel the need to do some practice, but just to test that everything is ok, not to really enjoy it as you did before being a "racer".

The 996 GT3 is far cheaper to run than a 997 cup :
* You can race it alone (and I think the last real racecar you can do this is the 996 cup, even if it is really tiring)
* The gearbox and engine are bulletproof. The early 997 cup have nearly the same engine, but the gearbox is… The last rebuild on my Cup S, was around 35 k€... (they are getting old and tend to need new cases, ring/pinion…)
* You will want ABS to save tyre (will add some cost)
* You will want a paddle shift to save the box, and or the fun (will add some cost + regular maintenance on top of everything)
* They are getting old, so you may soon need suspension bits sooner than later
* The race serie I am in with the 996 GT3 mandates MPSC2 than put a lot less stress on the suspension of the car (and the driver)
* The rubber is cheaper

There really is no comparaison, but these are really not the same cars either. Last time I drove my Cup S, I told me that you can try to disguise a horse into a stalion, and, in the end it may be a great horse, but not the real thing.

I think I am really biased toward racecars since I have begun with them. This GT3 is a great car for what it is; but 997+ cup cars are just in another league…

I could elaborate for hours on this topic ;-))
Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by cid042
Hi Mate !

You are right ! When you get to racing, your priorities will change. You will have to deal with the homologation of your seat, harness, gloves, socks… With buying new tyres every track week end. You will feel the need to do some practice, but just to test that everything is ok, not to really enjoy it as you did before being a "racer".

The 996 GT3 is far cheaper to run than a 997 cup :
* You can race it alone (and I think the last real racecar you can do this is the 996 cup, even if it is really tiring)
* The gearbox and engine are bulletproof. The early 997 cup have nearly the same engine, but the gearbox is… The last rebuild on my Cup S, was around 35 k€... (they are getting old and tend to need new cases, ring/pinion…)
* You will want ABS to save tyre (will add some cost)
* You will want a paddle shift to save the box, and or the fun (will add some cost + regular maintenance on top of everything)
* They are getting old, so you may soon need suspension bits sooner than later
* The race serie I am in with the 996 GT3 mandates MPSC2 than put a lot less stress on the suspension of the car (and the driver)
* The rubber is cheaper

There really is no comparaison, but these are really not the same cars either. Last time I drove my Cup S, I told me that you can try to disguise a horse into a stalion, and, in the end it may be a great horse, but not the real thing.

I think I am really biased toward racecars since I have begun with them. This GT3 is a great car for what it is; but 997+ cup cars are just in another league…

I could elaborate for hours on this topic ;-))
Thanks for your insights and point of view. All of the above is more or less why I went for 996 cup over 997 cup (coming from highly modified road GT3). I think I’ll delay racing for a bit longer and just enjoy track days (as much fun as I know racing would be!)

Quick Reply: 996 ieal spring stiffness calculation