Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

996 ieal spring stiffness calculation

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that I will begin with lower spring rates, as I can borrow themnd the associated shocks, and will let you know the values and feedback. What I really need is a car that dive more when braking, to actually brake ! (Maybe I am too used to slicks)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
Can't say i have noticed any bouncing in my 02 Cup running MPSC2 . Not had a massive amount of seat time mind you.And this was on Brands Hatch Indy, which is pretty smooth.
MPSC2 on a cup car? Tell me more...
Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cid042
Hi all,

At this stage, I need quite urgent help on this : This season, we enter a 996 GT3 (road car) in a championship where Michelin Sport Cup 2 are the mandatory tires. It is highly modded as a racecar : Central lock, stripped interior, and so on. This car was run with slicks till now, and set up with 996 cup springs (240 Nm/mm front & 260 Nm/mm rear). The 996 GT3 RS (Road car) was delivered with 45 Nm/mm front springs and 90 Nm/mm rears.

With the Sport Cup 2, the car bounces and everything proves that the springs are far too stiff.

We have ordered a study to a well known company to define the best spring rate, and thay conclude that it should be 160 Nn/mm front & 220 Nm/mm, and that seems still too high from my point of view. We have not changed anything yet, and do not want to do this 3 times to achieve a good setup. We have as much smooth track as bumpy ones in there (think Dijon, Magny Cours, Ledenon, Paul Ricard, Le Mans...).

Long story short : May anyone help us in choosing the good spring rates for this car ? It is not for an international championship, but as we all know : Do it once, do it well ;-)). The dampers will be revalved 996 cup (early ones, no adjustment).

Key facts :
* Weight : 1455 kg in total, with driver and half a tank
* Weight at the wheels :
* RL : 459 kg
* RR : 436 kg
* FL : 292 kg
* FR : 268 kg
I do not know the motion ratio, but it is the standard 996 GT3 one, if that may help. The car do not have rose joints in the suspension.

Many many thanks for any help !

Kindly yours,

Cedric
I am not a professional racer by any means, but here are my thoughts. I run 160nm front and 180nm rear on cup sachs 2-way dampers. I think this is quite soft even street/track driven. I am actually looking to up my rates. But, for my dampers I get no bounce. And what you will find is unless driven my a strict class regulation, most guys here will vary rates up and sometimes down depending on tracks and driving style. With the fixed dampening cup bilsteins you only have maybe 100lbs of window with spring rates to play with. I considered a fixed damper route when I did my cup conversion, but knowing that I would mess with spring rates I opted for the adjustable Sachs dampers. With fixed dampers you are kinda limited with how much you can play with spring rates unless you want to revalve every time. Bounce is likely caused by under-dampening. So I would strongly consider adjustable dampers seeing you are in somewhat uncharted territory. Just my .02 good luck.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:03 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
I am not a professional racer by any means, but here are my thoughts. I run 160nm front and 180nm rear on cup sachs 2-way dampers. I think this is quite soft even street/track driven. I am actually looking to up my rates. But, for my dampers I get no bounce. And what you will find is unless driven my a strict class regulation, most guys here will vary rates up and sometimes down depending on tracks and driving style. With the fixed dampening cup bilsteins you only have maybe 100lbs of window with spring rates to play with. I considered a fixed damper route when I did my cup conversion, but knowing that I would mess with spring rates I opted for the adjustable Sachs dampers. With fixed dampers you are kinda limited with how much you can play with spring rates unless you want to revalve every time. Bounce is likely caused by under-dampening. So I would strongly consider adjustable dampers seeing you are in somewhat uncharted territory. Just my .02 good luck.
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. Are you running on MPSC2 and still have the stock ABS ?

Bouncing is one thing, the other main issue is having no load transfer ini braking, leding to engaging the ABS on every single hard braking zone, with poor braking efficiency... No problem on this side with your setup ?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. Are you running on MPSC2 and still have the stock ABS ?

Bouncing is one thing, the other main issue is having no load transfer ini braking, leding to engaging the ABS on every single hard braking zone, with poor braking efficiency... No problem on this side with your setup ?
I am stock ABS currently, and have not had ABS under hard braking short of lockup. Not yet. Are you sure it is caused by no load transfer? More details?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:44 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

I must admit that I am not sure of anything. That is my best guess.

When braking, I hit the ABS pretty quickly, and I do not feel so much load transfer. I tried to remove the mastervac, in order to get more feeling, as I thought the over amplification spoilt the feeling.

I previously tried this car with slicks, and it was quite ok. So my best guess is that the stock ABS is quite sensitive, and that I need more load on the front wheels for it not to come on. And that is only on the braking side of the things.

At turn in, the suspension do not seem to move a lot. The tires seems to be overwhelmed nearly instantly. It takes the middle of the turn to tame everything, then the exit lacks motricity. In fact, it is more about predictability and confidence.

At Ledenon, a few weeks ago in the turn called "virage du camion", there is a compression, and the track is quite bumpy. It felt like the rim was hitting the tyre/track, the pressures were ok (I even raised them a bit). In high braking zones, I have to brake very early and avoid curbs if I do not want to be thrown a few meters away.

The outside of my tyres are blueish. They really do not seem to work correctly, and I feel like overdriving them constantly.

Keep in mind that I am more used to slicks on a Cup S car that has lots of grip and brake feel and that I am not a professionnal driver, nor a suspension engineer. I am just feeling something I am not used to in other racecars.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:12 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

I must admit that I am not sure of anything. That is my best guess.

When braking, I hit the ABS pretty quickly, and I do not feel so much load transfer. I tried to remove the mastervac, in order to get more feeling, as I thought the over amplification spoilt the feeling.

I previously tried this car with slicks, and it was quite ok. So my best guess is that the stock ABS is quite sensitive, and that I need more load on the front wheels for it not to come on. And that is only on the braking side of the things.

At turn in, the suspension do not seem to move a lot. The tires seems to be overwhelmed nearly instantly. It takes the middle of the turn to tame everything, then the exit lacks motricity. In fact, it is more about predictability and confidence.

At Ledenon, a few weeks ago in the turn called "virage du camion", there is a compression, and the track is quite bumpy. It felt like the rim was hitting the tyre/track, the pressures were ok (I even raised them a bit). In high braking zones, I have to brake very early and avoid curbs if I do not want to be thrown a few meters away.

The outside of my tyres are blueish. They really do not seem to work correctly, and I feel like overdriving them constantly.

Keep in mind that I am more used to slicks on a Cup S car that has lots of grip and brake feel and that I am not a professionnal driver, nor a suspension engineer. I am just feeling something I am not used to in other racecars.
You are running a street GT3 minus interior and with stock ABS? What tire sizes and alignment settings? Could possible be other factors besides spring rates or dampening.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Tyres are stock size : MSPC2 in 235/40 18 front & 295/30 18 rear. I will post the alignement settings asap.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:08 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Camber :
* Front : -4°
* Rear : -3°

Toe (in) :
* Front : 3 mm
* Rear : 6 mm
Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Camber :
* Front : -4°
* Rear : -3°

Toe (in) :
* Front : 3 mm
* Rear : 6 mm
That is almost a 1/4" rear toe. Is that right? That is a bit of toe.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:13 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Yes, right. And even with that, the stability of the rear in braking is far from perfect...
Old 05-03-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, right. And even with that, the stability of the rear in braking is far from perfect...
What Diff is in the car? That's generally a bigger factor on stability under braking....well that and or bump steer while the car is diving under the brakes. Do you have adjustable bump steer toe arms at the front and back, I think you said no monoballs (rose joints) correct? What are the ride heights on the car.

Those camber values are great for slicks but in my opinion are too high for the PSC2 tire you are running.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:48 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
What Diff is in the car? That's generally a bigger factor on stability under braking....well that and or bump steer while the car is diving under the brakes. Do you have adjustable bump steer toe arms at the front and back, I think you said no monoballs (rose joints) correct? What are the ride heights on the car.

Those camber values are great for slicks but in my opinion are too high for the PSC2 tire you are running.
Good thought on the diff. But I am curious if a **** diff would cause that drastic of ABS intervention?

And with still running rubber, I definitely agree. Especially in the rear. But just not sure that explains the ABS thing.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Good thought on the diff. But I am curious if a **** diff would cause that drastic of ABS intervention?

And with still running rubber, I definitely agree. Especially in the rear. But just not sure that explains the ABS thing.
The ABS thing baffles me too, I mean it's the street car ABS but he's got the right size tires so it shouldn't be very easy to upset that unit. Only on an EXTREMELY bumpy track have I ever had issues with my 996 GT3 Street car ABS system.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:52 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe the street GT3 LSD is not up to autocross or track use, they last barely a year.... the motorsports units are BEEFY, no comparison.

Quick Reply: 996 ieal spring stiffness calculation