Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

My 996 RS RSR front end showed up today

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I’ve spoke with someone pretty knowledgeable people about the parts and showed me the correct weave pattern that the factory used. Which mine has. I’ll look them up to see what they have to offer as far as installation pieces.

Edit: wow! That company is insane what they offer! Maybe I’ll be able to source the headlight covers for it. Thanks for that info!

Last edited by trendy996; 03-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are a few shots under the skin of a 2001 GT3 RS. All the parts are different than a street car, but that doesn't mean you can't make your nose work if you put your mind to it. There's extensive carbon ducting for both the side radiators (which you may have some part of, based on your photos) and for the front brakes (which I don't see in your photos). This car has a CF duct behind the center radiator that was only used on the later 996 RSR (but wouldn't be necessary on a street car). The rear supports for the side radiators are also CF on these cars.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy GT3 RS !
Old 03-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Rob S
Pro

A lot of people have no idea how different the R cars are from Cup cars. There are a lot of differences -- and this is just one area. A Cup of this vintage is quite similar to the street car, so if you twang it, the polyurethane bumper often flexes and rebounds with little damage. Not true on the R, RS, and RSRs -- if you whack one, you risk shattering all the carbon fiber pieces that lie somewhere on the spectrum between very expensive and unavailable!
Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM
trendy996
Banned

Surprising enough the big dent in my c/f front bumper just popped out. It made a very loud bang when it did though lol. I have the rear radiator mount plates. I'm so thankful you supplied these pictures!! Does anyone know the part numbers to the radiators and the hard pipes that connect to them by chance? I would just need the headlight lense covers, hoping zimspeed has good news for me, the horseshoe brake vents and the center radiator vent. I'll just retro fit some 4" projector headlights in the fenders as it seems thats what the original R did so to speak. Another hurdle I have to figure out is how to turn my street car into a center fill tank.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Rob S
Pro

Here you go. Many of these parts are only available from PMNA, so you'll need to go through someone who has an account. I'm not sure if the headlight covers are available or not, you might check. I had recently heard they were not, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that. And I wouldn't bother with the center radiator duct on your street car. That's a very special part for an 04-05 RSR, and I'd be surprised if it's available. You could go without, or fabricate your own out of some other material if you really want one. I do have a mold for it though.

Last edited by Rob S; 03-15-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM
trendy996
Banned

Rob,
from the diagrams is it safe to say that porsche just used the oem 996 mk1 headlight lense? Just wondering if I can just pick up a new set of aftermarket clear headlights and remove the lense from them. With doing that I’d also test if the halogen reflector can be mounted to the carbon buckets in the fender.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Rob S
Pro

No, I don't think it's just a lens from a stock headlight. Though It obviously has the same general shape, I think it's custom race part. Maybe you could pick up an old, used, headlight and disembowel to see if you could make it work. I'd be more concerned about how you're going to fuel the car, though. For safety reasons in a frontal collision, it's not a great idea to be messing with the stock fuel filler arrangement. And putting in a fuel cell and a race hood with a center fill cutout, would cost a fortune. Porsche wants $17k for the stock Premier fuel cell alone. And changing to a fuel cell requires the addition of multiple fuel pumps to scavenge the tank, plus you'd probably lose the fuel level gauge. It would probably be easier to make a fuel door cutout in the fender and leave the tank and stock fuel filler alone. But you'd also need to fabricate a bucket structure behind the fuel door to hold the filler neck. There's a lot to think about.

Quick Reply: My 996 RS RSR front end showed up today